So I am a HUGE coffee snob :(

Dee777

Special ordered beans, ground each day coffee guy here.

Believe it or not, one packet of Via added to a pot of the room service coffee? Not bad at all, really.

Mmmmm! Add some Bailey's and that might make a mighty fine morning beverage ;) Thanks for the idea!

Mmmmm! Add some Bailey's and that might make a mighty fine morning beverage ;) Thanks for the idea!

Changes the whole taste, really. I have done a cruise or 2 with a French press, and a travel drip pot, too. This works out really well...

Thank you, this is good to know. I usually travel with a drip pot (not my first choice!) and I DO have a press but it is a glass one, not suitable for travel. I find anything I can bring with me is usually better than that nasty hotel room coffee lol Since Carnival prohibits coffee makers I am trying to find an alternative to what they serve on board. 15 days can be an awfully long time wiithout a decent cup of java, and I am certain DH would want me to have this... for his own comfort :p

LOL this thread made me laugh! Great ideas and especially the one about adding some via to room service coffee. I think that's the route I'll go. I was getting ready to pack my french press until I read that one.

But here's my question, why in the world can't cruise ship coffee taste better??? I guess we have to have one thing to complain about right? :p

Coffee snob here too. I brought my french press on a couple of cruises and ordered hot water from room service. I also used the carafe from the hot water to hold my coffee after brewing to keep it warm. As for packing, I just put mine in the suitcase in the original bubble wrap, in the original box. Never had a problem. It is a bit of a PITA (pain in the a$$) to clean the grounds, but I always carry a few plastic bags, plus those picked up buying anything onboard to line the trash cans. The last minute bits of grounds and a swish of water go into the toilet.

I am not a huge fan of Starbucks coffee (I like the lattes) but their Via is a good product. I keep some with me and add a half packet or so to brewed coffee when somewhere with crappy brew and it's not bad.

I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and am taking the via this time just for ease. I see no problem with you taking the french press and enjoying your brew. Nothing better than good coffee on a balcony in the morning!

To RVP Cruiser: I am SO sorry I didn't see your post earlier!!! The ones I saw at amazon were these:

http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-8-Cup-Unbreakable-French-Press/dp/B0001K186Y

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-Shatterproof-French-Coffee/dp/B002UG46DO/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1319413911&sr=1-4

Again, my apologies for missing your post :)

Dee

Dee, I see you're going on the Spirit to Hawaii. I'll be on that same trip but a month earlier. So excited, only 39 days to go. Make sure you get some 100% Kona while you're there. Best coffee I ever had. Last time we were there we only brought home 2 bags. This time I'm going to try to ship a case home. Yum!

I can't help myself, I am a coffee snob. I can't drink many restaurant coffees they all tast just nasty to me. I brew my own in my Bunn machine at home usually Starbucks or Tim Hortons and ALWAYS strong enough to stand a spoon up in!

We have cruised three times, the Valor, Pride and Glory. I have tried the coffee at the buffets, the MDR's and the specialty shops and they just do NOT do it for me. My question is this: Have any of you tried or own a French press? Because I was thinking of taking my own coffee and I found a few French presses on Amazon that are not glass so I am assuming would be unbreakable. I am willing to sacrifice a pair or two of shoes (hubby's of course ahahahaha) to compensate for the weight in the suitcase. But some nice fresh GOOD coffee with some Bailey's (purchased through BV Department, of course!)on our balcony in the mornings and later evenings would sure be nice!

So anyone who owns one of these, has traveled with one of these or has ever just used one of these, let me know about your experiences! Thank you so much in advance, it's appreciated! Cruising the Spirit January 20, 15 day Hawaii cruise and I just need some good coffee lol

Oh, as they aren't electric (or even battery powered) I can't imagine there would be a problem with them, would there???

Dee

OK, you really have my attention on this topic. We are trying Carnival for the first time ever this coming February, after six Royal Caribbean cruises, where I am absolutely crazy for their 'Seattle's Best' brew on board. A year-long dream is having a pot of their room-service delivered Seattle' Best coffee and toast each morning on the balcony, sea-air in my face, blue water splashing below, and sun rising majestically while waiting for my spouse to awaken. SO, am I going to enjoy Carnival ??? brand coffee like that? Please tell me YES!

Dee, I see you're going on the Spirit to Hawaii. I'll be on that same trip but a month earlier. So excited, only 39 days to go. Make sure you get some 100% Kona while you're there. Best coffee I ever had. Last time we were there we only brought home 2 bags. This time I'm going to try to ship a case home. Yum!

I am SO going to be all over that one, Neiner! Make sure you post a gazillion pictures when you get back, of EVERYTHING and also a review please! :D

Have a wonderful time and good luck getting the coffee shipped!

OK, you really have my attention on this topic. We are trying Carnival for the first time ever this coming February, after six Royal Caribbean cruises, where I am absolutely crazy for their 'Seattle's Best' brew on board. A year-long dream is having a pot of their room-service delivered Seattle' Best coffee and toast each morning on the balcony, sea-air in my face, blue water splashing below, and sun rising majestically while waiting for my spouse to awaken. SO, am I going to enjoy Carnival ??? brand coffee like that? Please tell me YES!

Um, I have to be honest here, and tell you... probably not :(

HOWEVER. I do happen to have a couple links to some good non-breakable presses ;) This is why I am investigating various methods of providing my own coffee made with my preferred brands. The room service and MDR coffees just do nothing for me, unfortunately.

On the upside, if you wish to pay for it, you CAN purchase some excellent lattes etc. from their coffee shop! I do on occasion but really miss my good stuff from home.

I just discovered something that I've never seen mentioned on these boards before. I am a big fan of Ticolino teas. They come in a skinny swizzle stick type packet that has many tiny holes in it. It is called an infuser, and all you do is stick one of them in a cup of hot water. I just found that they also make a coffee infuser stick. It is only $6.50 for a box of 18 infusers. There won't be any extra filters, french presses, or coffee to take on our cruise, and I'm keeping my fingers crosses that my husband will like these. He isn't a coffee snob, but he did not like the coffee on the Spirit last year. He does like the Via so that is a great travel option too. I just ordered the Ticolino coffee sticks, and I'll let you know what my husband thinks of them.

I just discovered something that I've never seen mentioned on these boards before. I am a big fan of Ticolino teas. They come in a skinny swizzle stick type packet that has many tiny holes in it. It is called an infuser, and all you do is stick one of them in a cup of hot water. I just found that they also make a coffee infuser stick. It is only $6.50 for a box of 18 infusers. There won't be any extra filters, french presses, or coffee to take on our cruise, and I'm keeping my fingers crosses that my husband will like these. He isn't a coffee snob, but he did not like the coffee on the Spirit last year. He does like the Via so that is a great travel option too. I just ordered the Ticolino coffee sticks, and I'll let you know what my husband thinks of them.

Holy MOLY! That is some very cool information! Do post back and let me know, I will be very interested to hear how these coffee in a swizzle stick things are! My, what they don't think of, eh? Pretty darn neat!

Yes, I have tried VIA coffee and yes, it IS rather good. Where I live it is also rather pricey (works out to more than $1.00 each cup) and I know, I know... you pay for convenience but you people don't know how much coffee I can drink in 15 days :D I have traveled with these in the past and I may possibly do it again on this upcoming cruise.

If you like the VIAs, I have found another option. At Top Food (or whatever grocery store in your area has Kroeger's as a store brand) the store brand is quite similar. Only better I think, because the coffee is organic & to me tastes just as good as the Via does. 25 of those skinny paper packets of coffee in box, costs only around $8.

If you end up taking a french press or an aeropress, maybe you can bring along some zip lock bags to throw the grounds away in. I think the garbage cans didn't even have plastic liners on some of the cruises I've been on - except for the little one in the bathroom.

Have you thought about the packs of individual filter cups? douwe-egberts do them here in vacuum packs of ten. Do you know what I am referring to? Each filter contains fresh coffee. You place filter over cup, pour over water, place lid provided on cup and have a cup of freshly brewed filter coffee in a few minutes. So much easier than taking a cafetiere. I often take them to city hotels if doing an overnighter as hate instant coffee too.

Check to see if your favourite coffee producer retails them.

google douwe egberts one cup filter coffee to see what I am referring to.

If you like the VIAs, I have found another option. At Top Food (or whatever grocery store in your area has Kroeger's as a store brand) the store brand is quite similar. Only better I think, because the coffee is organic & to me tastes just as good as the Via does. 25 of those skinny paper packets of coffee in box, costs only around $8.

If you end up taking a french press or an aeropress, maybe you can bring along some zip lock bags to throw the grounds away in. I think the garbage cans didn't even have plastic liners on some of the cruises I've been on - except for the little one in the bathroom.

Thank you so much for the info, I will certainly look into that! We don't have anything near to a Kroegers here where I live, but there is one in Great Falls, MT and I think we will be headed there within the next month or so. I will pop in and check it out!

Dee

Have you thought about the packs of individual filter cups? douwe-egberts do them here in vacuum packs of ten. Do you know what I am referring to? Each filter contains fresh coffee. You place filter over cup, pour over water, place lid provided on cup and have a cup of freshly brewed filter coffee in a few minutes. So much easier than taking a cafetiere. I often take them to city hotels if doing an overnighter as hate instant coffee too.

Check to see if your favourite coffee producer retails them.

google douwe egberts one cup filter coffee to see what I am referring to.

Thank you, Blondie! I will Google it and see what I can come up with. So many ideas from everyone, this is so great!!!

Archived