So I am a HUGE coffee snob :(

Dee777

I can't help myself, I am a coffee snob. I can't drink many restaurant coffees they all tast just nasty to me. I brew my own in my Bunn machine at home usually Starbucks or Tim Hortons and ALWAYS strong enough to stand a spoon up in!

We have cruised three times, the Valor, Pride and Glory. I have tried the coffee at the buffets, the MDR's and the specialty shops and they just do NOT do it for me. My question is this: Have any of you tried or own a French press? Because I was thinking of taking my own coffee and I found a few French presses on Amazon that are not glass so I am assuming would be unbreakable. I am willing to sacrifice a pair or two of shoes (hubby's of course ahahahaha) to compensate for the weight in the suitcase. But some nice fresh GOOD coffee with some Bailey's (purchased through BV Department, of course!)on our balcony in the mornings and later evenings would sure be nice!

So anyone who owns one of these, has traveled with one of these or has ever just used one of these, let me know about your experiences! Thank you so much in advance, it's appreciated! Cruising the Spirit January 20, 15 day Hawaii cruise and I just need some good coffee lol

Oh, as they aren't electric (or even battery powered) I can't imagine there would be a problem with them, would there???

Dee

carnival specifically says you cannot bring on appliances. Some will say oh it is not electric.. it doesnt say if not electric, ok, it say no appliances.. so depends.

Id say thats a great way to clog up the plumbing.

Bring some Starbucks via, the instant. I just cant see having that mess for the cabin steward to deal with, even if you put the grounds in the trash.

PS I cant stand the coffee on cruise ships either.. but the starbucks instant isnt bad. Im also a coffee snob I guess and grind and brew my own.

I cant stand the coffee on cruise ships either.. but the starbucks instant isnt bad. Im also a coffee snob I guess and grind and brew my own.

Coffee snob here, too. I roast my own beans at home, can't stand Charbucks, always too dark for my taste. What's crazy is I buy the single packs of Taster's Choice freeze dried in large quantities for back-country camping. The Starbucks VIA are better though because they have "microground" coffee in them., but the Tasters' Choice is dirt cheap.

I just put up with the nasty stuff on board, but for a 15 day cruise I feel for the OP...

OP how do you plan to heat the water for the french press? I wonder if one could get one of these heaters on board in their checked luggage.

As for explaining the french press if questioned just say "It's my coffee carafe. I take coffee to my cabin from the Lido deck. It's just sooo much better than the room service coffee. :D "

Have to agree on the Starbuck's Via. Good coffee. We order two carafes of hot water from room service on boarding day. Then we simply retain the carafes and refill from the hot water spigot on the Lido coffee brewers. Just right!

A French Press is not an appliance. I think you would have no trouble with it at all. Just have room service send "tea"- hot water and tea bags. Throw ground into garbage. Enjoy.

First think in the morning I seem to tolerate almost any coffee but after that it is good stuff or nothing.

Thank you all for your quick responses! I was planning on disposing of the grounds in the trash... of course, if there are no plastic liners in the cans then that would be rude but if there are bags in shouldn't be a problem should it?

As for water, I would send DH up to the Lido for it of course! He would absolutely love the walk bright and early each morning LOL Or, I could call room service and ask for tea, thanks for that suggestion I didn't think of it!

Yes, I have tried VIA coffee and yes, it IS rather good. Where I live it is also rather pricey (works out to more than $1.00 each cup) and I know, I know... you pay for convenience but you people don't know how much coffee I can drink in 15 days :D I have traveled with these in the past and I may possibly do it again on this upcoming cruise. Again, I didn't really think of them as an option. I have other things on my mind. Like, 5 sea days each way and how I am going to cram in all the laying in the sun, reading, napping, DOD's and coffees on the balcony in only 15 days!

Thank you all once more for your advice and opinions!

I have other things on my mind. Like, 5 sea days each way and how I am going to cram in all the laying in the sun, reading, napping, DOD's and coffees on the balcony in only 15 days!!

Now these are real problems for you for sure! Enjoy- and if all else fails with the coffee- have a few more DODs and you really won't care!

I have an 8 cup one. It was $20, and I made due with it on my last relocation prior to being reunited with my coffee pot.

All you need is your coffee, hot water and a timer. Mine is almost completely plastic with an unbreakable polycarbonate carafe. (well they say it's unbreakable, I haven't put that to the test).

I find them extremely messy to clean up. When you've drank all the coffee the grounds are stuck to the bottom. Sure you can dump most of it out into a trashcan (you'll definitely want to have a plastic liner for that) there's always some grounds stuck to the carafe that need to be rinsed out. Not sure how well that would go over in the stateroom sinks.

BubbaQ uses one at work since they aren't allowed to have their own coffee pots. He agrees that it's a little messy to clean up, but I guess washing coffee grounds down the drain at work doesn't bug him as much as it bugs me at home. :D

Coffee was just fine, my only issue was with clean up.

I find them extremely messy to clean up. When you've drank all the coffee the grounds are stuck to the bottom. Sure you can dump most of it out into a trashcan (you'll definitely want to have a plastic liner for that) there's always some grounds stuck to the carafe that need to be rinsed out. Not sure how well that would go over in the stateroom sinks.

Coffee was just fine, my only issue was with clean up.

Exactly .. plan on tipping big I guess if you use one. Even with a liner in the waste basket, someone still has to deal with the mess.

On older ships, the plumbing is already iffy.

Coffee snob here too! FYI, If you're traveling with coffee in your luggage plan on having it searched. Coffee is commonly used to disguise drugs from the drug sniffing dogs.

We use a coffee press on occasion, especially if we want a really strong drink, kinda like an espresso. You can really cram some powerful flavor out with one. My question about the coffee press, is will the water be hot enough? But if you can order the water from room service for tea then I imagine it would be. I'd also take a package or two of the Via as backup. Save them for special times when you can sit and relax and just enjoy your cup of coffee. It'll probably be the best coffee you get while you're on the ship.

All you have to do is use TP wraped around your fiingers or some other thing..toothbrush? and put a tiny swish of water to wipe out rest of grounds after first dump...and do both neatly into lined trash can, take a few sandwich bags if they do not use trash liners..do not remember..you gotta have your favorites on cruises..I can deal with the room service coffee..but i understand..lived too many years with septic and disposals we were only to use for plate crumbs..LOL..sarah

FYI, If you're traveling with coffee in your luggage plan on having it searched. Coffee is commonly used to disguise drugs from the drug sniffing dogs.

Never thought of that problem..good point...so carrey on in new sealed bag and let them see it??

It's not a big deal to have your luggage searched. They search ours all the time because my husband always packs his steel toe boots. (We usually rent a Harley on vacation.) They just put a tag on it saying that it's been opened by security. I was just mentioning it so you secure loose items and not pack any valuables.

I always pack coffee when we're staying in hotels because that 2 cup garbage they give you in the room is disgusting.

As far as cleaning out the coffee press you could always swirl it around in the toilet. :eek: Just kidding everyone, don't worry!

As far as cleaning out the coffee press you could always swirl it around in the toilet. :eek: Just kidding everyone, don't worry!

But you could in fact get rid of the majority of the grounds, wipe it out, then rinse and toss water into the toilet. The toilet system could easily handle the bit of grounds that would be left- better than the sink I would think. Certainly the pipes could. And there shouldn't be that much left- use a piece of paper to wipe out the grounds.

Coffee snob here, too. I roast my own beans at home, can't stand Charbucks, always too dark for my taste. What's crazy is I buy the single packs of Taster's Choice freeze dried in large quantities for back-country camping. The Starbucks VIA are better though because they have "microground" coffee in them., but the Tasters' Choice is dirt cheap.

I just put up with the nasty stuff on board, but for a 15 day cruise I feel for the OP...

OP how do you plan to heat the water for the french press? I wonder if one could get one of these heaters on board in their checked luggage.

As for explaining the french press if questioned just say "It's my coffee carafe. I take coffee to my cabin from the Lido deck. It's just sooo much better than the room service coffee. :D "

I feel certain that heating coil would be confiscated.

OP bring a supply of plastic can liners. There are none in the bathroom or the vanity and please don't be tempted to flush your grounds.

Wow, very good advice from all, thank you SO much! I LOL'd at the "swish in the toilet", made my morning thank you! I will likely go the press route, will bring unopened coffee in my carry on. I did NOT know about the coffee scent to mask drug smuggling... Learn something new every day, don't you???

I will bring enough trash can liners for the duration of the cruise.

I will even bring a roll of paper towels.

I will not flush grounds down the toilet, nor will I rinse them down the drain.

I will be a responsible French press coffee drinking snob making more work for myself than I need to all for the sake of a freshly pressed cup... and I will toast each and every one of you with every sip I take! OK, well, I will think of you all occasionally, I promise ;)

Dee

Dee..you are a sweet and funny..have a great time!!!!!!..

I learned a few things here too...

Love, sarah

Why thank you, Sarah! You aren't so bad yourself lol I will have an absolutely stunning time, I am certain... can't be any worse than the Pride Panama cruise, where our flight was delayed due to a raging blizzard, missed a connection, rerouted to a different city than the port, had to cab it, (all this happened the DAY OF the cruise, NEVER AGAIN!) luggage lost for four days, and we STILL managed to have the time of our lives :D:D:D Flying to San Diego two days prior to cruise this time, booked air ourselves and not through Fly Aweigh program!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Look for AeroPress on Amazon. It essentially is a tube and plunger type French press except you force the brew though an easy to dispose of filter. Takes care of the grounds problem. Use any temp water according to your tastes. It brews concentrated coffee to use as is or dilute to taste.

Look for AeroPress on Amazon. It essentially is a tube and plunger type French press except you force the brew though an easy to dispose of filter. Takes care of the grounds problem. Use any temp water according to your tastes. It brews concentrated coffee to use as is or dilute to taste.

Oh MY.... I love you! THANKS! Going to go check it out right this very minute!

Dee

Why thank you, Sarah! You aren't so bad yourself lol I will have an absolutely stunning time, I am certain... can't be any worse than the Pride Panama cruise, where our flight was delayed due to a raging blizzard, missed a connection, rerouted to a different city than the port, had to cab it, (all this happened the DAY OF the cruise, NEVER AGAIN!) luggage lost for four days, and we STILL managed to have the time of our lives :D:D:D Flying to San Diego two days prior to cruise this time, booked air ourselves and not through Fly Aweigh program!

Have a great day everyone!!!

LOL Dee..that is a travel story..and 2 days ahead from some places even if A to B are close and mixed with winter time of year..i do sooooo understand...love, love, love San Diego..have a blast!!

In 1979 we had to snowmobile 5 miles..one at a time in a blizzard to where dad had parked the car on the highway at the start of the blizzard for an 80 mile blizzard drive to airport in Blgs, MT...to get to one of our few airplane trips from birth to my college years..i was in college for this..my grandparents 50th..dad took no real hot summer shirts/ clothes to Hawaii..he just really couldn't fathom the tropics..seeing him peel down to his undershirt in his later 40's on the Honolulu tarmack to the smaller plane to Maui.... with the grin on his face.... is one of my fonder memories...Sarah

Heck, sounds like we could swap some adventurous tales over some DOD's, Sarah LOL Memories like those you shared snowmobiling 5 miles through a blizzard and watching your dad strip in the tropics are what truly makes life precious, aren't they???

I have some houseboating tales that would curl your hair LMAO Oh I am so counting on making many many more with my DH this coming cruise!

Thank you all for your quick responses! I was planning on disposing of the grounds in the trash... of course, if there are no plastic liners in the cans then that would be rude but if there are bags in shouldn't be a problem should it?

As for water, I would send DH up to the Lido for it of course! He would absolutely love the walk bright and early each morning LOL Or, I could call room service and ask for tea, thanks for that suggestion I didn't think of it!

Yes, I have tried VIA coffee and yes, it IS rather good. Where I live it is also rather pricey (works out to more than $1.00 each cup) and I know, I know... you pay for convenience but you people don't know how much coffee I can drink in 15 days :D I have traveled with these in the past and I may possibly do it again on this upcoming cruise. Again, I didn't really think of them as an option. I have other things on my mind. Like, 5 sea days each way and how I am going to cram in all the laying in the sun, reading, napping, DOD's and coffees on the balcony in only 15 days!

Thank you all once more for your advice and opinions!

What is the name of the press you found on amazon?

Archived