Taieri Gorge Rail Trip, DUNEDIN

all too much stress and worry for me..isn't a cruise surpose to be relaxing.

Princess tours are well worth the extra $$$ IMHO

B&B

We in the main take ship tours. Just can't be bothered with stress on holiday,

Recently on Pacific Sun we stopped at Lombok, Indonesia and people got off the tender and rented cars in LOMBOK???

Now if you saw the traffic, you would be saying how crazy is this??

It is a big island and very different to driving in a Western country.

Wall to wall motorbikes in a place 20 years behind Bali.

STRESS MAJOR LEAGUE.

The only thing I can say was the Train trip we did 5 years ago went right to Middlemarch (the schist rock formations were awesome) and if you ever thought you were coming back to stay independently (staying in Dunedin) then I would recommend you wait and do this tour as you will see so much more at half the price.

totally agree oysterfiend,

my point exactly........maybe ok for the adventurous but not these little black ducks...........lol!

We have enough stress in our "real" world not to enjoy just kicking back and having fun when we are on holidays....IMHO

I guess we will be the ones returning to the ship with a big relaxed smile on our faces...lol!

Cheers

B&B

Edited by happyaussies

Will depend what day of the week your cruise arrives in PC. The local bus from PC to Dunedin departs not far from the Port entry, and thru the week leaves about every 20-30 mins in peak hours, not so regular on weekends.

Here's a link: http://www.orc.govt.nz/Information-and-Services/Buses/

MP

Thanks for the link, it looks like the bus will work for us since we are in Port Chalmers on a Thursday.

Next question, how do I get from the dock to the bus station? I'll be on the Sun Princess.

Next question, how do I get from the dock to the bus station? I'll be on the Sun Princess.

Easy......Just cross the road. There is really only one main street in Port Chalmers. The bus stop is just a few doors up the slight hill, as you walk out of the port area.

The ride into town is quite interesting as it deviates from the main road to go into a couple of small settlements.

Thanks for the link, it looks like the bus will work for us since we are in Port Chalmers on a Thursday.

Just walk thru' the main dock entry (there's only one) and go straight up the main street. The bus stop is only about 100 meters up the street, on the left.

I'm sure you'll see a few people waiting there anyhow, and it's signposted.

It's really quite easy! Definitely no stress!

We're off tomorrow on the 'Sea' and will be in Dunedin next Thursday. Looking forward to it.

MP.

My advice is not to even consider taking a public bus. You lose time walking to the bus stop and then would probably have to wait for a bus. It stops all along the way picking people up and losing even more time.

There will be a shuttle bus available from right beside the gangway of the ship. I think the cost was $10 (either NZ or AUD). As soon as the bus is full (which doesn't take long) they leave and drive directly into Dunedin. Before you buy the ticket at the door of the bus, ask if they will drop you at the railway station. When we were on the shuttle bus not long ago they offered to stop there because they drive right past it. The return bus goes from the centre of the Octagon (which is the heart of Dunedin) about three blocks walk from the railway station.

If the staff at the shuttle bus tell you they cannot drop you at the railway station then walk out of the wharf area (probably 8-10 minutes walk) and get a taxi.

I don't find it stressful planning our own way either in fact I enjoy it as part of the build up to my holiday. I draw the line in some places though, for example I find it easy doing our own thing in NZ but we have booked a ship tour in Bangkok. (Which is now looking unlikely due to the floods :( )

I just booked this trip for Feb.3rd from the Dunedin train station as the ship prices are usually $$$$$$. However, I see that the ship leaves Port Chalmers at 4pm!!With the train returning at 325pm, is this enough time to get back to the ship or do we have to risk swimming to Australia???

We'll be in Dunedin on xmas day travelling on the Sea Princess. I usually arrange independent excursions but have decided to book the taieri gorge trip through Princess because I was worried about the availability of transport from Port Chalmers to Dunedin on xmas day. This way we can just get on the train and enjoy ourselves but, if we were there on another day I would have probably done one of the train trips independantly.

I'm really looking forward to it as the trip is supposed to be spectacular!:D

We'll be in Dunedin on xmas day travelling on the Sea Princess. I usually arrange independent excursions but have decided to book the taieri gorge trip through Princess because I was worried about the availability of transport from Port Chalmers to Dunedin on xmas day. This way we can just get on the train and enjoy ourselves but, if we were there on another day I would have probably done one of the train trips independantly.I'm really looking forward to it as the trip is supposed to be spectacular!:D

Thats unusual...They try to have Christmas Day on a sea day as just about everything ashore will be shut, especially in Dunedin.

Thats unusual...They try to have Christmas Day on a sea day as just about everything ashore will be shut, especially in Dunedin.

The Diamond Princess is in Akaroa for Christmas day. :) We just plan to meander around a bit.

Edited by silverwillow

Got of the Dawn yesterday booked the train prior to leaving and paid at the station when we arrived cost NZ$97

Shuttle bus from the ship was $10 return, dropped us off at the Octagon 3 min walk to the station.

train went to middlemarch and meals available at the pub or the Lions had a sausage sizzle at the station. Snacks and drinks available up and back.

Shuttle back to the ship with plenty of time for a beer in the local at dock gates.

Value for money Hell yes with change for tacky souveniers

Bob

• 1 month later...

Hi there

Dunedin does have lots of attractions and tours available on Christmas Day. The big tip is - Book Now! Check out what is open on www.dunedin.govt.nz/isite/cruise-ships which has a list that the Dunedin City Council have put together.

Contact the isite for any more information and bookings. or www.dunedinnz.com

Us Dunedinites look forward to welcoming you on the 25th :-)

As is obvious from this thread the ship charters the train to make money I have found it better to do things independently or as part of something organised through the roll call..but...when it is something I REALLY dont want to miss and this train would be part of it...I use the money I have saved from not doing all the other ships tours and just pay the ship! No stress.

Incidentally I have been in Auckland on Christmas Day and yes it was shut apart from Tarlintons. I suppose they are trying to let the crew have some down time on Christmas Day by being in port.

Hi, I did the Taieri Gorge train trip (for the second time), when on Pacific Dawn cruise in November.

booked through ship, and had a great time...as I have a handicap at present, being picked up by the train at the gangway , and returned to the gangway at the end of trip ..was a great help...the scenery is beautiful, the volunteers who are onboard are fantastic.

I would pay the extra for the convenience anytime..

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Hi, I did the Taieri Gorge train trip (for the second time), when on Pacific Dawn cruise in November.

booked through ship, and had a great time...as I have a handicap at present, being picked up by the train at the gangway , and returned to the gangway at the end of trip ..was a great help...the scenery is beautiful, the volunteers who are onboard are fantastic.

I would pay the extra for the convenience anytime..

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

So would I Lorraine! Especially as it is a long trip. :)

. There are plenty of seats left on the "Seasider" from Dunedin to Greymouth and return for the same day if anyone is interested.

John

Sorry John but this trip does not go to Greymouth!!! to get there in a day one needs to take the "Trans Alphine" from Christchurch (Akaroa).

The "Seasider" travels along the north Otago Coast to Palmerston.

Yvonne

Yvonne

You are correct. I made this mistake earlier in the posts and posted a correction. The "Seasider" does indeed go to Palmerston. Sorry again about that. It leaves Dunedin at 9-30 and returns at 1-30.

John

I spent my teens living I Port Chalmers and would recommend the train that goes to Palmerston. The coastal scenery is breathtaking.

Ange

I would have liked the Seasider to Palmerston, but it is not running the day we are there. Instead I have just booked the train to Pukerangi, leaving at 9.30 and getting back at 1.30, from and to the Station. This will leave time for another look at the city before catching the shuttle back. The difference is amazing. $219 AUD for Princess compared to $84 NZD from the company (plus the shuttle which we would use anyway.) We don't need to pay until we get to the station - that's where I reckon my 28 Degrees card will come in handy. :)

As I said previously, I would prefer to book through the ship to save any hassles, however I had a look at the site last night, and the difference won me over and it was so easy - got a confirmation email this morning. If the ship arrives late and we miss the train, we will just do Olveston House again.

Edited by Sandielle