A Carnival cruiser does NCL

iluvdoxies

... Also, I did not have a room service menu in my cabin, and asked the steward twice and guest relations three times, and they all promised they would deliver it promptly. By mid week, I just called up room service and asked them what they had, since no-one had bothered getting me a menu. ....

Well - I was in a suite (aft Penthouse) on the Pearl two weeks ago and there was not a room service menu in the book. I noticed that when we were going to order on the first night. It took them until half way through our cruise to get us one! Granted, it was only a two night cruise... LOL :D

Tom

Well - I was in a suite (aft Penthouse) on the Pearl two weeks ago and there was not a room service menu in the book. I noticed that when we were going to order on the first night. It took them until half way through our cruise to get us one! Granted, it was only a two night cruise... LOL :D

Tom

That makes me feel better :)

On both the Celebrity and NCL boards, one often sees threads referencing the Hotel Director (HD).

Now... how many times on the Carnival board do you see the HD being discussed?

In all of our Carnival sailings we have only met the HD 4 times, and 3 of those was the same fellow (Ron Ness) - a very personable and helpful individual. I don't think that, in general, Carnival cares whether or not the HD even interacts with the guests.

Tom

I tried to leave a note for the HD on the Carnival Glory this June. I was completely rebuffed by the front desk staff and told "the Hotel Director is a busy man....he doesn't have time for a note from passengers". WTH????

On NCL I can tell you the name of ever HD I have sailed with. I have all their cards from meet and greet where they usually give us their ship cell phone number to call if we need ANYTHING.......

Carnival could learn a few things from NCL when it comes to the accessability of their Officers.

I hear from some of my friends that the free food in the MDR is horrible and if you want anything good to eat you have to pay extra.Have never sailed on NCL because of hearing this.I have sailed on Carnival,Princess and in May will be my first Celebrity cruise.Would really like to find out about the main dining room food.

Laura

This gets posted alot. It seems to always be something that was heard. Carnival does have an edge on dining room food. But NCL has a much better buffet. We have opted for the NCL buffet even when we like what was on the menu for the MDR. The Pearl has an awesome buffet area.

That said the MDR has very good food as well. Our last Carnival cruise MDR food was decent, but not as good as in the past. It may have just been an off week.

We had no option on the Carnival Fascination for specialty restaurants. I think some Carnival loyalists hear about the specialty restaurants and think that is all NCL has to offer. We have tried a couple of the specialty places but the MDR has always been great. I wasn't impressed with Cagney's but loved the Tex-Mex.

Ignore the rumours and try it yourself.

having just returned from the Jewel this past Saturday, i must agree that Cagney's was just awful...this was our 2nd time trying it, first time, several years ago, was pretty bad too, but we figured we would give it another try because so many people rave about it.

I had the prime rib...can you say wedding food..my husband had the rib eye...can you say skirt steak (identical to the one in the main dining room, and the one served at lunch)

Please NCL call a steak its rightfully earned name :)

2nd time at the tex Mex....Loved, loved, loved it :) (as we did the first time we tried it last January on the Jewel).

I can't understand, for the life of me, how so many people can rave about Cagney's

The food was poor, and we went around 7 - 8 pm and the place was practically empty.

Actually had no problem getting into any of the speciality dinning options each and every night, even without reservations. I can remember a time, when you had to make your reservations the first day on board, or be lucky to be able to get one at all!!!

What a difference a few years make!

Debbie

... I wasn't impressed with Cagney's...

Yep

...i must agree that Cagney's was just awful...this was our 2nd time trying it, first time, several years ago, was pretty bad too, but we figured we would give it another try because so many people rave about it.

I had the prime rib...can you say wedding food..my husband had the rib eye...can you say skirt steak (identical to the one in the main dining room, and the one served at lunch)

Please NCL call a steak its rightfully earned name :)

I can't understand, for the life of me, how so many people can rave about Cagney's

The food was poor, and we went around 7 - 8 pm and the place was practically empty....

Yep...

Tom

I hear from some of my friends that the free food in the MDR is horrible and if you want anything good to eat you have to pay extra.Have never sailed on NCL because of hearing this.I have sailed on Carnival,Princess and in May will be my first Celebrity cruise.Would really like to find out about the main dining room food.

Laura

Well,....you heard ....incorrect info.

We were on the same cruise you were!! The 1st week at least! We had an awesome time and did not stay in a suite.

We were in an inside stateroom and had an awesome steward we loved! He always made sure we had what we needed!

I think I remember you from the meet and greet! We were in the 3rd row with 2 other couples! It was too bad more ppl did not come!

We also got the honor of having Belkys as a Conciege. She was wonderful and so sweet!! Nothing was ever a problem with her!! Getting vip was a very nice suprise, but the cruise would have still be great even if we didn't.

I loved seeing Pedro and Rosita around the ship all the time. Even Tommy, the captain was always around. We thought that was normal!!

We did have rough weather but hey it is hurricane season!

We ate at the MDR a few nights and it was pretty good. We always looked at both menus then choose were to eat. We ate at Modernaro, Il Adagio and Tempennaki (sorry, spelling!) We loved Modernaro. We all agreed we could pass the Tempenaki next time. (this was the 2nd yr in a row we did it)

Kerry Wilson

Food is always subjective. You'll find posters here that call cruise line foods "slop" and others rave. Same said for the specialty restaurants.

I've never left a cruise ship starving.

Although (because of a fussy eater in the group) I don't eat in the specialty restaurants on board, I think it's fantastic that there is so much to offer.

So read between the lines of most reviews!!

Most of the people I've spoken with re: NCL - told me that freestyle on NCL was just another name for bad service. The price was right or else I would be on CCL - my favorite - so far. At any rate I have 90 days until I leave the mountains of PA. We had snow yesterday (10-27-11). I love the carribean - I don't care what I'm sailing on. Time is going fast - & Im ready. Can't wait to see the ocean blue!!!:o:rolleyes::):cool:

Most of the people I've spoken with re: NCL - told me that freestyle on NCL was just another name for bad service.

I've never had bad service on NCL. Sometimes it may have seemed like the MDR waiters were a little indifferent, but CCL MDR waiters will spoil you for other cruise lines. The waiters in Carnival MDR's make you feel very special.

Most of the people I've spoken with re: NCL - told me that freestyle on NCL was just another name for bad service. The price was right or else I would be on CCL - my favorite - so far. At any rate I have 90 days until I leave the mountains of PA. We had snow yesterday (10-27-11). I love the carribean - I don't care what I'm sailing on. Time is going fast - & Im ready. Can't wait to see the ocean blue!!!:o:rolleyes::):cool:

I hope you have a fabulous cruise and love NCL as much as I do :) What ship will you be on?

I know the suite perks are better on NCL than on Carnival, but how do the prices compare? Did you price out a CCL cruise for the same time frame as the cruise you took on NCL?

We cannot afford the "suite life" at the moment, so I've never even priced it out, just wondering if you're paying more for all the perks on NCL.

Even if you're paying extra, the fact is they're available for purchase. Not so on CCL.

Greetings, going on my first NCL (Sun) the end of this month. Looking forward to comparing/contrasting with CCL, Princess, Royal and Holland.

Question on the Sports Bar, many have mentioned snack type food being offered, is there a fee for this? Is the sports bar smoking? Thanks!

Still raining after lunch and cabins are ready, so head to deck 9, aft, 9076, the cabin from heaven. HUGE with separate bedroom and big bathroom with whirlpool tub and separate shower. So many gifts in the cabin, wine, champagne more wine and bday cake for John (Belkys had asked if we were celebrating anything ) so I told her Johns bday this week and also our anniversary - 15 yrs. Also 2 cards from NCL saying "Congratulations " on your special event - present to any maitre d for a nice surprise.

I am so happy to hear this! We just changed from a forward penthouse to this exact room for our cruise in April. We'll also be celebrating (my daughter's 10th birthday) during our 7-day cruise. Thanks so much for your review!

I have never had bad service on NCL (Gem and Jade). Doing the EPic next May.

I know the suite perks are better on NCL than on Carnival, but how do the prices compare? Did you price out a CCL cruise for the same time frame as the cruise you took on NCL?

We cannot afford the "suite life" at the moment, so I've never even priced it out, just wondering if you're paying more for all the perks on NCL.

My husband and I are going on nil in January (our first ncl after 12 ccl cruises)

We have a balcony and it is a better price than we have ever gotten with ccl.

Here comes the big deal.... Next November (thanksgiving week) we are taking our 3 grandchildren and have a suite. This is a 7 day cruise and we took the kids on a 5 day cruise on ccl that cost about 3000.00 more the only perk was to be VIP embarkation and that turned out to be a bust. The price with ncl suite and the tons of perks is unreal. The grandkids have cruised many many times so the special things mean a lot to them. Breakfast and lunch at carneys steakhouse with special menu is appealing to the 7 yr old. He has been on 5 cruises and knows how to order well.

Now I did book this suite 23 months ahead of time and the price has gone up, but not as expensive as carnival and again suite perks are nil to none on ccl. Even being platinum has very few perks. Sorta wish I had 12 cruises under my belt with ncl.

My husband and I are going on nil in January (our first ncl after 12 ccl cruises)

Here comes the big deal.... Next November (thanksgiving week) we are taking our 3 grandchildren and have a suite. This is a 7 day cruise and we took the kids on a 5 day cruise on ccl that cost about 3000.00 more the only perk was to be VIP embarkation and that turned out to be a bust. The price with ncl suite and the tons of perks is unreal. The grandkids have cruised many many times so the special things mean a lot to them. Breakfast and lunch at carneys steakhouse with special menu is appealing to the 7 yr old. He has been on 5 cruises and knows how to order well.

Now I did book this suite 23 months ahead of time and the price has gone up, but not as expensive as carnival and again suite perks are nil to none on ccl. Even being platinum has very few perks. Sorta wish I had 12 cruises under my belt with ncl.

I do know it is NCL my smart iPad changes the spelling if it does not recognize the word and I failed to catch it each time

I hear you! ... as the links in my signature attest to (comparing the perks of different lines). Carnival falls short ACROSS THE BOARD!

Tom

NCL has always pleased us; we have NEVER had bad service. We have never had bad food either, even in the MDR's. We aren't even tempted to try another line at this point.

I am so happy to hear this! We just changed from a forward penthouse to this exact room for our cruise in April. We'll also be celebrating (my daughter's 10th birthday) during our 7-day cruise. Thanks so much for your review!

Enjoy our room, you will love it.Forgot to mention there is also a sliding glass door out to the huge balcony in the bedroom.

Greetings, going on my first NCL (Sun) the end of this month. Looking forward to comparing/contrasting with CCL, Princess, Royal and Holland.

Question on the Sports Bar, many have mentioned snack type food being offered, is there a fee for this? Is the sports bar smoking? Thanks!

No smoking - the pub food is free served from 530 pm to early in the mornings

You will have a different server each night so the server won't have the opportunity to get to know you and some traditional cruisers don't like this aspect of Freestyle. The server will also pace your meal at a leisurely rate so if it's moving too slow for you make sure that you let the server know (and of course you would let subsequent servers know your expectations in this regard). All in all we never had any major service issues and found the crew to be engaging, but sometimes you had to engage them first.

Archived