Amount of Coverage needed

funNsun4me

Hi,

While I understand there is no right answer to this question, I am looking for advice on how much coverage is needed. I am looking at primary medical for accident/sickness & medical evacuation and have no idea what evacuation could cost. The policies coverage I am stuck inbetween are

1. 15,000 accident/sickness + 100,000 medical evacuation or

2. 50,000 accident/sickness + 500,000 medical evacuation

We are in good health and have never had a problem before but always feel better safe than sorry.

I appreciate any help.

If you are staying near the US, such as a Caribbean cruise, the first is probably sufficient, but the medical portion could be low in case of a true medical emergency with hospitalization. The evac is sufficient.

If you are going to Europe or Asia, then the second choice is the preferable amount.

Someone from an air evac company posted not too long ago that an evacuation from Asia (?) was in the ~$300,000 range. If I can find the post I will link it.

eta-here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1485312

Thank you for your reply. I was leaning toward the basic (lower) insurance because our cruise is to the Caribbean and wanted a primary. I did also see the link regarding being airlifted from Europe. Do you know if I go with primary, if that benefit is exhausted (i.e. $15,000 medical) would my regular insurance kick in? Of course I understand that this would be contingent upon whether my insurance covers being treated outside the US or in the Caribbean. I am probably making too much of this but "you never know" never sat well with me.

Thank you for your reply. I was leaning toward the basic (lower) insurance because our cruise is to the Caribbean and wanted a primary. I did also see the link regarding being airlifted from Europe. Do you know if I go with primary, if that benefit is exhausted (i.e. $15,000 medical) would my regular insurance kick in? Of course I understand that this would be contingent upon whether my insurance covers being treated outside the US or in the Caribbean. I am probably making too much of this but "you never know" never sat well with me.

If you go with the travel insurance as primary and you exhaust the coverage then you could submit the remaining bills to your own insurance provider. The question is not who is primary but whether or not your insurance company will pay for these items if they occur outside the USA.

Keith

Archived