Anyone ever use Ginger gum?

tassycatt

While Ive never had a problem with seasickness, this will be DD's first cruise. Ive heard good things about Bonine and ginger pills but she WILL NOT swallow pills. Gum she has no problem with.

Anyone ever try it? Id like to pack some just in case.

I have used the gum. Did it help? Who knows - perhaps as a mental boost?! I did not get sick, but whether I can attribute the assistance to the gum or I would have been fine anyway - hard to say. I am a long time cruiser and have had some good and bad days aboard - most of the time I do fine now that I am accustomed to the motion.

It's an inexpensive option as are seabands and having used both, I did OK. The initial bite into the gum can be quite potent with a little bite to it. After that - it's just gum.

While Ive never had a problem with seasickness, this will be DD's first cruise. Ive heard good things about Bonine and ginger pills but she WILL NOT swallow pills. Gum she has no problem with.

Anyone ever try it? Id like to pack some just in case.

I have tried it for nausea and it did help.

You can buy Candied Ginger Slices (think healthy gumdrops) she can chew on those, or theres a candy that's sold in the supermarkets/stores here in NJ called ginger chews made by ginger people www.gingerpeople.com

They may be a little "spicy" depending on how old your daughter is. but are pretty good. Also there are lollipops you can get called preggie pops - designed to help pregnant women combat morning sickness nausea. I know people who have used them for motion sickness (car, sea, flying) and say they work well also. I know you can get them from babies r us and those types of shops, you may also find them online and order them by mail. At least they look like regular lollipops and you can carry them with you. Come in different flavors too...

Also saw on these boards that green apples work wonders too. Hopefully it wont be a problem and you all will have a great time.

I have used the gum our last couple of cruises. I also use the acupressure bracelet bands. I don't like to use dramamine or even the non-drowsy stuff because either one makes me too groggy and then I'm cranky! The gum and bracelets seem to work - but like a previous poster said who knows if I would have been fine those particular days anyways. I've heard about the green apple (from the person checking us in for our first cruise when she saw how nervous I was) and took one off the buffet the first opportunity but never did eat it because I never felt sick. For our January cruise I'm taking the gum and bracelets again, but will also buy the ginger candy chews from our health food store.

I tried the gum last year coming back from trying to outrun a hurricane coming in. Needless to say,the ship was rockin and rollin. I was starting to feel really nauseous, so I chewed a piece of the ginger gum. The gum worked for me.

Or you can just eat a lot of ginger from wherever they have sushi, that DOES work

Was going to suggest the same thing. No idea what it does or doesn't do for seasickness, but it's mighty tasty all the same.

As for the medicinal qualities of ginger gum...anything that makes the cruiser feel better, or forget about any physical ailments, (including psychosomatic in nature or otherwise) is worth trying.

But do try the pickled ginger from a sushi place. It really is good. You can probably find some in a store easily enough. Look for 'gari'. :)

DGD, age 5, would not chew the gum, said it tasted bad. We bought the lollipops for queasy stomachs. She did not need them, but they worked great later when she had a stomach virus. We also got her the bracelet to wear. It may have worked, don't know. She drank a little ginger ale every couple of hours and she never got sick.

Here is the link to the lollipops:

http://www.inventiveparent.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=TRVLQPLP

I use ginger Altoids at home for nausea. I've never been seasick, so can't say how they work for motion sickness but a friend swears they work. I was on an antibiotic last week that made me horribly queasy. I think I went through a whole tin of the the Altoids but they really did help. They are spicy so you need to like the taste of strong ginger.

I have used the gum called Ginger Trips. I bought it at Vitamin Shop. They really seemed to help but I get car sick easily so once the ship got moving I opted for the bonine tablets that they have on the ship. How old is your DD? If she can swallow little pills, bonine may work if she is old enough. It didn't cause drowsiness. Our DD (5) was last on a ship when she was 2 and had no problems. But as a precaution since she is a bit older and sometimes gets car sick, her Pediatrician prescribed a liquid med for her to take once a day. I haven't picked it up yet so I can't remember the name.

How old is your daughter? Most young kids have no problem. Not sure there's enough ginger in gum to actually get into your system.

It takes quite alot of ginger to do the trick...and even then, it doesn't always work.

Bonine is probably a better bet....check with your pediatrician.

Because of a medical condition, DD (who is an adult) uses ginger candies from Whole Foods Market (you can also get them online from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ginger+chews&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4342192319&ref=pd_sl_19owo9j3rr_b ). They come in a few flavors - her favorite is Peanut. She gave me a ginger candy one day when I was nauseous - worked like a charm and worked quickly, too! She also drinks Canada Dry gingerale as it's made with real ginger.

I am one that swears by eating a green apple. Get a couple off the buffet when you get there and keep them in your room.

They work wonders for me when I get seasick.

That makes sense....my oncologist kept jolly ranchers beside our chairs when were getting chemo treatments and told us to keep some with us, just in case.

Archived