Naughty Room

wezie

Are we better off to put mouthwash in our carry-ons? I definitely don't want our first cruise to be marred by an unintentional trip to the naughty room.:eek:

After reading this thread, I would if I were you. Also, make sure the outer seal is still intact.

There certainly are but they don't have liquor licenses and depend on alcohol sales to make their profit and they don't give you free food like a ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe we certainly do pay for food on ship. Again, its vacation guys, no one is twisting anyone's arm to try to bring a bottle. The earlier post about T-shirts was a joke! I'm going to start a new thread, were did all the happy cruisers go!

So what do they do for you if they start you out on your cruise by having to wait in line at the naughty room to dig out your innocent miracle grow hair tonic? Do you still have to carry your bag to your quarters? Do they give you a couple of the rum runners they confiscated from other paxs for your inconvenience?

As far as I know you get nothing (maybe an apology, but security isn't known for being overly apologetic about doing their job).

No apology for us on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago. One of our two bags did not make it to our room. We did receive a letter instructing us where to go. There were about a dozen people in line - most in public space (walkway). They opened ours up and found nothing (as was the case). They said "OK, thank you". That was a "fun" way to spend 20 minutes - especially since this was only a two night sailing!

Our suitcase was not locked. On Carnival, if it is not locked, they will go through the suitcase on their own - and you'll discover a letter inside the suitcase when it makes it to your room... either indicating what was taken out and why, or that it was flagged for a "routine security check". If the bag is locked, that is when you'll receive a letter to go to their naughty room.

I appreciate the fact that NCL will not plunder through your things in your absence. There was one Carnival sailing where something was taken from our bag and not noted. It was a 3 way plug/adapter. It only cost a couple of bucks, but it was the point of the matter that someone would basically steal something from our luggage.

Tom

I live in Vancouver, Canada and since our cruise was starting from there I elected to take a case (12 bottles) of wine with me. When we got to the pier crewmen took our luggage and the case of wine from us. That evening I received a note to visit the "naughty" room about 7:00pm. When I got there I identified my case of wine and the person working there then proceeded to take each bottle out and place a sticker on it. At the end I had to give him my ship's credit/room card and he entered a sum of $180 (12 x $15). I then lugged my case of wine back to my room. During the cruise (19 days YVR - MIA) when we took a bottle of wine to dinner we would be asked for our room number. So even though the bottle had a "paid" sticker they do check up on you.

My husband visited the Naughty Room on our Spirit cruise two weeks ago. We had unthinkingly put an empty water bottle in our checked bags. We received a note on our door. My husband went to the room and waited and waited. One guy had 10-12 bottles of wine. I gues it was entertaining....My husband left and came back later. It did not ruin our cruise though.

Also, my husband packed 2 bottles of wine in one of our carry-ons. He put all of our bags except one on the porter's cart. He stopped to get our taxi driver's number for the return trip and the porter took our bags. We then told John, our conciege, about it. We explained the situation and that we really did want to pay the corkage fee. This bag did arrive, but the one with the empty water bottle didn't make it. We just thought it was ironic in the end! Our wonderful cabin steward, Cy, brought us wine glasses and a wine cork and we enjoyed our wine on the balcony.

For those of you who have gotten the notice - does it really say come to the Naughty room?:o

I have a theory regarding the rum runners... if they don't give them back to you at the end of the cruise do you really think they just toss it or do they use it for crew parties? I hope they enjoy it and toast to the ones who got caught.:D

Ok, so my question is this. I will have two cubes of soda in one of my suitcases for my upcoming cruise. I was just going to tag them but we are taking the Amtrak into NYC and I didn't want to chance them vanishing on the trip. What are my chances of being called to the naughty room? I mean, I really don't care. It's only soda but, I would like to know what to expect, if possible.

Ok, so my question is this. I will have two cubes of soda in one of my suitcases for my upcoming cruise. I was just going to tag them but we are taking the Amtrak into NYC and I didn't want to chance them vanishing on the trip. What are my chances of being called to the naughty room? I mean, I really don't care. It's only soda but, I would like to know what to expect, if possible.

I would remove them from the suitecases at the pier before checking the bags and either put them in my carryon or check them with the porter. I think in the suitcase it would go to the naughty room (which of course isn't a big deal but is a waste of time which is short enough).

(Just noticed your ticker, have a great time!)

For those of you who have gotten the notice - does it really say come to the Naughty room?:o

I have a theory regarding the rum runners... if they don't give them back to you at the end of the cruise do you really think they just toss it or do they use it for crew parties? I hope they enjoy it and toast to the ones who got caught.:D

No :-). It says to come to the room they are holding the bags. Would you drink an unknown liquid from a bladder? For safety reasons they will hit the incinerator.

1451869569059187889S600x600Q85.jpg

No :-). It says to come to the room they are holding the bags. Would you drink an unknown liquid from a bladder? For safety reasons they will hit the incinerator.

I have read plenty of postings of sealed bottles and other items that end up "missing" and are not returned. I have my suspicions that these end up becoming the property of the "crew".

I have read plenty of postings of sealed bottles and other items that end up "missing" and are not returned. I have my suspicions that these end up becoming the property of the "crew".

That's another story. I have no idea what Security who is responsible for the held contraband does with it. :confused:

Well, you could just be there because you have soda, or water, or mouthwash, in your checked luggage, or even a mistake has been made. It would be more realistic to say that everyone who sees you will automatically assume you are smuggling alcohol.;)

mouthwash sent me to the naughty room

I received a letter last week on the Pearl that they were holding one of my bags and to come to the "naughty room" (no ... they do not call it the naughty room!!). The ironic thing was that I had just paid $90 at embarkation to bring 6 bottles of wine on board and I knew I had nothing else "naughty" in the luggage. In the end, they thought that my big bottle of shampoo was alcohol. They said that they flag anything that is viewed as being over 100 ML. Lesson learned!!

I spend 30 minutes in line with everyone else and saw everything from expensive bottles of liquor, lots of wine and irons. There was one passenger talking with those in line about how he successfully got alcohol on board and wanted to hear what everyone else did so that he didn't make the mistake that they made .. it was quite comical!!

The only cruise line we have ever brought on champagne/wine has been Carnival -- and that was many times. For the two of us we often have brought on a total of 2-4 bottles with no problem (scanned and checked with carry on stuff), and no charge. The only time you might be charged is when you take it to the dining room and pay a corkage fee.

So what's the deal with NCL --- they will allow you to bring on (carry on only I suppose?) as many bottles of wine/champagne as you care to, but charge you $15 per bottle? Is that whether or not it is consumed in a dining room or your cabin?

THANKS!

Tom

The only cruise line we have ever brought on champagne/wine has been Carnival -- and that was many times. For the two of us we often have brought on a total of 2-4 bottles with no problem (scanned and checked with carry on stuff), and no charge. The only time you might be charged is when you take it to the dining room and pay a corkage fee.

So what's the deal with NCL --- they will allow you to bring on (carry on only I suppose?) as many bottles of wine/champagne as you care to, but charge you $15 per bottle? Is that whether or not it is consumed in a dining room or your cabin?

THANKS!

Tom

You are correct. They allow all you want but charge 15 dollars per bottle (any size) and you can consume it anywhere.

Thanks.

At what point during check-in is the fee paid... and how is that taken care of?

Tom

It is collected right after you go thru security. You sign, they put stickers on the bottles, it shows up on your onboard account.

It is collected right after you go thru security. You sign, they put stickers on the bottles, it shows up on your onboard account.

Thanks. Now to decide if we want to bring any along!!

Tom

Really worth it for high end wines but bargain wines may not be worth the hassle.

My feeling is that any bottle at/above $50 would make sense - since one of those on the ship would approach $100+.

Tom

Weve been busted for rum runners and yes - they took them OUT of our luggage. Didnt have to go to the naughty room, but received a nice letter...:mad:

Yes, but (judging from your signature) that was on Carnival. Carnival WILL plunder through your unlocked luggage without your presence. This has happened on a few of our Carnival sailings. NCL seems to take the approach of not wanting to open your luggage on their own... by summoning you to "the room". I much prefer this approach over someone going through our things without me there!

Tom

As far as I know you get nothing (maybe an apology, but security isn't known for being overly apologetic about doing their job).

Really, it's the security officers? Have never been to the naughty room or observed it but have always read it is the bar team, not the Nepalese security.

Jim, didn't look like Security in the pic you posted, either.

I do know that when you come back from port it's always the bar team that has the table after security who collects all the bottles of liquor to be returned on the last night. Isn't that the same in the naughty room?

:confused:

Barb I have only seen the bar staff working the room. Ultimately security is responsible but the process is carried out by those that benefit from collecting smuggled booze. One bottle collected could translate into $20 in additional tips for the bar staff.

Archived