Country Club Casual?

jellomon

We have booked our first Oceania cruise (Marina). My husband does not like dressing in anything more formal than a pair of jeans and a Polo shirt. What should I have him pack for dinners in the main daining and speciality restaurants?

For a recent cruise on the Marina, my first cruise ever, I packed long sleeve button down dress shirts and nice dress slacks for dinner. No jacket or tie. I never felt over or under dressed. That said, there were diners in all venues wearing polo type shirts (a minority, I'd say) or dress short sleeve shirts with business causal slacks. And some diners wore a jacket. So I think he'll be fine packing within that considerable range.

We have booked our first Oceania cruise (Marina). My husband does not like dressing in anything more formal than a pair of jeans and a Polo shirt. What should I have him pack for dinners in the main daining and speciality restaurants?

Please no jeans or shorts. pair of casual pants such as Dockers and a collared shirt with proper shoes (not sandels) is appropriate. Long sleeve shirt is better.

Many people choose to dress a bit more for the specialty restaurants, no jackets and ties required, but you will see some there. Agreeing with Baby Hughy, please no jeans or shorts in the MDR - they may send you back to your stateroom to change. Oceania is not Carnival.

If he wants to eat in the Terrace in the evening jeans are fine

Other dining venues they are not acceptable so maybe dockers or a pr of dress slacks should be considered

No T-shirts for dinner either

You will find most people dress nicely for dinner even daytime dress is a bit more dressy than going to McD's

Try "Search this Thread " above your post. There have been soooo many posts on this subject and you can read them all. Bottom line NO jeans, tee shirts or open sandles in MDR for dinner,,,,No jackets required either.;)

As said, jeans and polo shirts could only be worn in the Terrace Cafe, and even there it would definitely not be the norm. A pair of khaki or black dockers with a button-down shirt should not be that uncomfortable - even for a jean lover!

As said, jeans and polo shirts could only be worn in the Terrace Cafe, and even there it would definitely not be the norm. A pair of khaki or black dockers with a button-down shirt should not be that uncomfortable - even for a jean lover!

...or you can do what I've always done, wear a pair of black denim pants, or jeans if you want to call them that, they look very similar to dockers, but the reason I prefer them is due to the pocket style. I'm very accustomed to a western style pocket whereas virtually all slacks today, dress and casual, have slash style pockets. I've always hated them because they bulge out to the side and everything falls out of them while I'm driving. Also very easy for pickpockets to fish into and you'll never know - I know because I watched helplessly while this was done to someone on one of our trips...

...I've been wearing this style of pants on all my Oceania cruise and never had a problem, I do wear my last pair of slacks with western pockets if we're going to the MDR or one of the specialty spots, might have to have custom made slacks down the road, I truly despise fashion dictates...

cheers,

the Imagineer

No jeans is true, but I've seen lots of polo shirts in the GDR, and DH has worn them and never been challenged. No T-shirts except in Terrace, though.

Polo shirts are fine just no T-shirts for dinner venues except The Terrace which is more casual

I do not see the problem why people can not wear a nice pr of slacks & nice shirt for dinner

Society has become too casual IMO

but that is me ...

When I first starting working (many yrs ago) jeans were not acceptable in the office place or in the shops I worked in

You had some pride in your appearance

Even in high school girls were not allowed to wear slacks/jeans to school ...I can tell you some days it was a chilly walk to school ;)

Now they wear anything

Lyn

Anyone watch any of the episodes of PanAm? That's how people used to dress to fly. The world has changed, on land, sea and air.

So true! And yet so sad!

There was a day when travellers wore business suits, and kept their coats on during flight.

And yet today, the term "Country Club Casual" causes some to panic and post to these boards requesting help and suggestions as to what to wear on an upcoming cruise. :confused:

I don't think people are in panic. Not many of us belong to a country club today, and "casual" means vastly different things in different areas and to different people today, so I understand the wish to "fit in" and live within O's conventions.

Even in high school girls were not allowed to wear slacks/jeans to school ...I can tell you some days it was a chilly walk to school ;)

I remember those days of skirts and nylons held up by girdles or garter belts.....and I am only in my fifties. We went on strike at my school and finally won the right to wear pants. only radical thing I ever did!

Mo

Ah, yes, and remember rolling your skirt as soon as you left home so it was the "proper" length? Then having to roll it down again because your skirt had to touch the ground when you would kneel? Seems like we spent a lot of our day changing hem lengths to suit the different generations.

...I've been wearing this style of pants on all my Oceania cruise and never had a problem, I do wear my last pair of slacks with western pockets if we're going to the MDR or one of the specialty spots, might have to have custom made slacks down the road, I truly despise fashion dictates...

I also prefer western-style pockets for "security" purposes...so just to let you know, I found a lot of slacks with the western-style pockets at Mexx....YMMV...:)

Sorry to the OP for going off-topic...

I do wear button-down shirts a lot, but also wear polo shirts. They are collared, they are what is worn at country clubs, and meet the criteria. The criteria is not business casual which would come closer to requiring a button-down shirt, long or short sleeved along with the slacks.

I second the vote for the polo shirts, and agree that there should not be any jeans. Not that someone wasn't wearing them on our last O cruise, but he stood out like a sore thumb.

Archived