Question about sail away day.....

NauticalOne

Hello all, excitement is building for our first cruise (Ruby on 11/27). Thought of a question this morning and came here for an answer. We get underway from the pier at 4:00 PM and I am not sure (with the sail away party and lifeboat drill and all the festivities) if the evening meal is impacted. We have a traditional dining time of 5:30, but unsure if that will work on underway day. I knew you experts would know the answer. Thanks in advance. -Glenn:)

Hello all, excitement is building for our first cruise (Ruby on 11/27). Thought of a question this morning and came here for an answer. We get underway from the pier at 4:00 PM and I am not sure (with the sail away party and lifeboat drill and all the festivities) if the evening meal is impacted. We have a traditional dining time of 5:30, but unsure if that will work on underway day. I knew you experts would know the answer. Thanks in advance. -Glenn:)

If your sailing at 4p then your Muster drill (Lifeboat drill) will be at about 2:45. It doesn't take long! Then the sailaway party begins, dinner as usual at 5:30.

Have a great First Cruise!

We usually dine in Horizon Court or Caribe Cafe, whichever is open on embarkation day. There's a lot to do that day, heading back to your cabin after sailaway to relax and get settled before heading off for dinner makes sense for us.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

We usually dine in Horizon Court or Caribe Cafe, whichever is open on embarkation day. There's a lot to do that day, heading back to your cabin after sailaway to relax and get settled before heading off for dinner makes sense for us.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

We are the opposite! Because we do Traditional Dining we like to join the group for the first dinner so we can all size each other up!!(lol) We have never needed/wanted to make a change, but if we did, sooner is better than later. Its Roast beef night too!

Because we do Traditional Dining we like to join the group for the first dinner so we can all size each other up!!

I can understand that. We do anytime, so meeting table mates is not an issue for us.

I find 5:30 much too early for dinner anyway...

Lew

With that time it should be a normal schedule, if for some reason there is a delay they will just make the first night all anytime. That's how it was for our 5:00 sailaway.

I thought it was 6:30 and 8:30. No?

I think they've also added a 5:30 dinner to accomodate people who could not get 6:00 dining. It's in the same area as anytime dining. I haven't experienced it personally, I'm just going on reports from people on my last Princess cruise.

We are the opposite! Because we do Traditional Dining we like to join the group for the first dinner so we can all size each other up!!(lol) We have never needed/wanted to make a change, but if we did, sooner is better than later. Its Roast beef night too!
When we sailed on a Holland America ship, we made reservations for the specialty restaurant the first night (back when it was half price that night). We went by our table to meet our tablemates and waiters and to let them know we would not be there for dinner that night but would be joining them for the rest of the cruise. We must have scared them away, because the next night we had a new couple sitting at our table.

And the first night it's prime rib that's on the menu, not roast beef.

Muster will most likely be at 3:30 as it usually runs a little into sailaway.

You will have a busy couple of hours before dinner.

You can watch ships sail daily on this streaming video webcam.

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

Check the 2012 Port Schedule on the left side to see what ships are in port. You can also see the satellite view of what ships are currently in port. I love this site.

Thanks for that site link, it is pretty neat with all the add info!;)

From what I have been reading on the boards, muster is around 3:00. You probably will feel a little rushed getting to dinner at 5:30, unless you are dressed and ready for dinner, before the muster drill. You don't want to miss sail a way, it is so exciting hearing the ship's horn, and finally setting sail, after month's of waiting for this vacation!:D

Also Glen, you don't have to rush to the dining room, as it goes a little slow the first night, since everyone has to be pointed to their table on the first evening. They do like you to be there with in 15 minutes of the doors opening though.

When we sailed on a Holland America ship, we made reservations for the specialty restaurant the first night (back when it was half price that night). We went by our table to meet our tablemates and waiters and to let them know we would not be there for dinner that night but would be joining them for the rest of the cruise. We must have scared them away, because the next night we had a new couple sitting at our table.

And the first night it's prime rib that's on the menu, not roast beef.

In my part of the world Roast Beef includes Prime Rib. There was a whole tread where ppl got very emotional about it. Please lets not go there!!!:D

Archived