Great Big Review - Eurodam Canada/New England, October 10 – 22

zackiedawg

Did you miss the link on the first thread, or was that tongue-in-cheek? I have too many pics to link to the thread, so I linked to my gallery - there are about 250 photos there, all labeled as to location or subject...click this link:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/eurodam_nov_2011

It's a photography website, no advertising, no popups, etc. Feel free to look around.

Great photos, nice composition and angles. Especially like the shots of Quebec City at night; when I was there a year ago, the Terrasse Dufferin (boardwalk area) was all torn up -- glad you were able to walk around.

At first I thought I you were using a tripod around the ship, but then noticed the EXIF data. Definitely helps to be at f/3.5, and you got the ISO noise reduced quite nicely.

Looking forward to being aboard Eurodam in about six weeks. :)

Edited by YOW

Thank you both. The terrasse was open, but I was slightly disappointed the top of the Chateau was in wrap...but that's life in historic cities!

I had just picked up the new camera a week before the cruise - my previous one was capable at high ISO, at least good through 3200 with some NR - the new one is just amazing - I can use ISO6400 with almost no work, and ISO1600 and 3200 are good straight from the camera. Love the new technology always improving - the round of cameras using this 16MP sensor (A580, K5, D7000, D5100) really can shoot high ISO effortlessly. And the primary reason I got the Tamron 10-24 UWA was that it was a little bit faster than the Sigma at the time (the Tokina F2.8 wasn't out yet in my mount). I love ultrawides for shipboard shots!

Have fun on the Eurodam...she looked pretty good to me.

Noticed your posting as I was going on to post my own review. Great Job! I love your photos and have put them in my "favorites" so that I may re-visit them at will.

Sorry we didn't meet at the "Meet and Greet". I, too, love to go "on my own" in port cities. However, I was with my Sister who is not very adventurous and somewhat out of shape so I took a few of the ship's tours and arranged private tours when available.

We did go into Boston by private tour and the guide, who was especially knowledgeable first gave us a fabulous tour of Gloucester, Rockport, and Bear's Neck--if I had known you wanted to go into Boston, you could have come with us and documented the trip. (I am not much of a photographer.) I fretted over Boston traffic and maybe missing the last tender, but it was not a problem.

We were on the starboard side of the ship (deck 7 mid-ship) and did see the wonderful welcome extravaganzas in the Canadian ports--a truly amazing experience!

Again, thank you for your comments and photos.

Mary Lou

Thanks Mary Lou. I had been considering the meet and greet, but honestly got too wrapped up just watching the scenic river cruising all day with my camera in hand - it was a bit of a novelty to me since almost all my cruises are at sea, so the idea of having land just a few hundred feet off either side of the ship was new, and I couldn't seem to pull away!

I did have some dinner table mates who went on a Boston tour, but I don't know if I even could have done it - they were up at 6am and waiting to be first off the ship to start the tour - I am a slow starter in the morning, so even when up at 6am or 7am, I like to relax and take my time - in Gloucester I was actually up by 6:30am taking photos of town, but didn't get off the ship until 9:30am or so...I like to have a little coffee, take a shower, grab breakfast, read a bit, take a little walk around the ship, etc. in the mornings so I'm not great at making early debarkations or tours.

Thanks for checking out the review and for the comments.

WOW, your pictures are amazing! I am a born and raised New Englander so I know Gloucester, Newport and Bar Harbor pretty well and I don't think I have ever seen them look better.

I'm sailing on the Eurodam in February so I was more interested in the shots around the ship but your scenery pictures are so wonderful I just had to look at them all.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the great review and all the pictures. Brought back memories of my childhood growing up in rural Quebec. My first time in Quebec City we stay in a B&B right on the "breaking Neck" stairs. Just beautiful.

One day I hope to add this cruise and see the St. Lawrence the way it was originally seen...350+ years later!

Great, great photos.

• 2 years later...

Let me join in the others in thanking you for not only a wonderful review but incredible pictures.

so well done - I just don't have the words to describe it.

Thank you again - and welcome home:)

Indeed I thank everyone for the comments - but this was a cruise from 2011! I had a great time on it, and look forward to doing it again...please feel free to read the review or see the gallery which I keep up, but please don't comment on the thread and let the thread fall down the list as it is quite old and I wouldn't want to bump other more recent reviews off the first page!