Bringing alcohol on board?

kath00

and if you were to buy a drink in their glasses just take the glass to your room and wash it out, mix your own drink and carry around the ship. Even with bringing on your own booze we still bought from the bar quite a few times.

This is the sort of thing that we're tying to discourage. DCL already fired a shot across the bow in regards to the alcohol policy when they announced then repealed a one bottle limit.

Please follow the rules, drink your carry-on booze in your stateroom and buy the rest from the bars and restaurants.

I just go off the disney dream, and honestly I don't think any of the employees care if you walk around with your own styrofoan cup full of booze. If disney changes their alcohol policy. I think they will have some push back. This is the only reason I would even consider paying the extra money for a disney cruise(even though my kids love Mickey) is the fact that I can bring my own alcohol on board. I still buy drinks at the bar because I like the frilly girl drinks, but my dh likes beer, and jack and coke so we save some money if he is not buying anything from the bar. If disney changes their policy they might have to lower there prices to be more in line with other cruise lines.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked our first Disney cruise and I'm so confused about the alcohol policy. I believe it is each adult can bring a single bottle of wine or champagne, or a six pack of beer. My understanding is no hard liquor is allowed.

Help, am I wrong about this?

We just booked our first Disney cruise and I'm so confused about the alcohol policy. I believe it is each adult can bring a single bottle of wine or champagne, or a six pack of beer. My understanding is no hard liquor is allowed.

Help, am I wrong about this?

Unless something has changed in the past two weeks, there is no limit to how much alcohol of any type you many CARRY on, nothing is to be in checked bags, and no alcohol to be consumed outside of your stateroom except wine which may be brought to the dining room where you will be assessed a $20 per bottle corkage.

As per Disney Cruise web-site:

Bringing Alcohol aboard the ship

Alcohol is permitted on board. Any fragile items (including bottles of alcohol) must be brought aboard in a carry-on bag not to exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

Guests can have a bottle of their own champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard opened and served by a Wine Steward. There will be a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Could someone explain the math behind this subject, because I have never really understood the financial argument for bringing all of this alcohol on board the ship?

Please start with how many drinks per day and how much you are saving per drink.

I understand the issue of wanting a particular brand and/or vintage, but all of this effort to save a few dollars per day just doesn’t add up for a relaxing vacation.

Here's a quote from CC regarding bring alcohol on board.

"Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's allowed for consumption in cabins. Passengers (21 years of age and older) may bring onboard one unopened bottle of wine or Champagne or six bottles or cans of beer per person. The alcohol must be hand-carried in a day bag and/or carry-on luggage. Carry-on luggage dimensions cannot exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage, and the items will be stored to return to the guest at the end of the voyage. "

I'm not seeing any mention of liquor and this quote limits it to beer, wine or champagne.

Bajathree, would you mind sending me the link from the Disney website?

Oceanliner, we're going on a 4 day cruise and would like to enjoy a drink or two on our veranda each day so we are not talking about a whole lot of booze. Not big bar people but will order wine with dinner. I'm just trying to find out what the policy is, nothing more.

"Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: It's allowed for consumption in cabins. Passengers (21 years of age and older) may bring onboard one unopened bottle of wine or Champagne or six bottles or cans of beer per person. The alcohol must be hand-carried in a day bag and/or carry-on luggage. Carry-on luggage dimensions cannot exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage, and the items will be stored to return to the guest at the end of the voyage. "

I'm not seeing any mention of liquor and this quote limits it to beer, wine or champagne.

Oceanliner, we're going on a 4 day cruise and would like to enjoy a drink or two on our veranda each day so we are not talking about a whole lot of booze. Not big bar people but will order wine with dinner. I'm just trying to find out what the policy is, nothing more.

The above policy (limiting how much you can carry on) happened about 2-3 months ago. It lasted less than 24 hours (there was quite an uproar).

DCLs current policy is that you may bring onboard whatever you would like. The only request is that you bring it in your carryon, not your checked luggage.

As per Disney Cruise web-site:

Bringing Alcohol aboard the ship

Alcohol is permitted on board. Any fragile items (including bottles of alcohol) must be brought aboard in a carry-on bag not to exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

Guests can have a bottle of their own champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard opened and served by a Wine Steward. There will be a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Thank you, I appreciate your response as well as those from Bajathree and ducklite.

Could someone explain the math behind this subject, because I have never really understood the financial argument for bringing all of this alcohol on board the ship?

Please start with how many drinks per day and how much you are saving per drink.

I understand the issue of wanting a particular brand and/or vintage, but all of this effort to save a few dollars per day just doesn’t add up for a relaxing vacation.

being a collector of wine, I like to bring my own whenever possible. Not limited by the choices on board and the high markups.

For me it's not about the money, it's about drinking the vintages and producers I prefer. Otherwise my bar tab on my recent three day wouldn't have been over $500--we did buy two bottles and some Port from the ship plus paid corkage on two additional bottles. It was no big deal to carry on our wine. We had it in insulated bags made for that purpose. My husband carried one, I carried the other.

I don't drink hard alcohol, but if I did, I can't see bringing more than a small flask of great Scotch or something along those lines to have in my room as a nightcap.

For me it's not about the money, it's about drinking the vintages and producers I prefer. Otherwise my bar tab on my recent three day wouldn't have been over $500--we did buy two bottles and some Port from the ship plus paid corkage on two additional bottles. It was no big deal to carry on our wine. We had it in insulated bags made for that purpose. My husband carried one, I carried the other.

I don't drink hard alcohol, but if I did, I can't see bringing more than a small flask of great Scotch or something along those lines to have in my room as a nightcap.

Bringing the alcohol on board as a preference makes a great deal of sense. Bringing it as a cost saving measure just doesn't seem to add up.

I've never cruised Disney before, but I did some thinking about this subject when I decided to sail on Regent after my first cruise on Celebrity. I figured that drinks cost about $10 on average for typical mixed drinks. You'd get about 15 drinks from a standard fifth of liquor which would cost $150 bought per drink on the ship or about $25 bought at the local liquor store. So let's round it up and say your cost is $2 per drink. So you'd save $8 per drink. What the hassle factor is worth to you is a question only you can answer.

In my case, I was looking at how much more I was willing to pay in order to have drinks included in my cruise price. I placed a big premium on not feeling like I was nickel and dimed at every turn, so I'd rather a bit more for what I perceived to be a reduced hassle.

In terms of the Disney cruise, there is also a case to be made for bringing your own on board if you are concerned with quality. The "premium" wine package features wines like Kim Crawford, La Crema and Louis Jadot. All pleasant well-thought out wines, but ones that typically sell for $10-$15 retail. Even with the package discount, they cost $40 per on board. And if you want special occasion stuff that is personal to you, one assumes the selection on board will be limited and significantly marked up. I plan to at least bring a special bottle for Palo, if not more. It really depends on how much hassle I feel like going to. Also, since I'm going as a favorite Uncle who isn't used to quite so much 24/7 time with his awesome nephews, it might be nice to have a nice cocktail in the room when I need to retreat.

Question

What food or food storage containers are not permitted?

Answer

Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention.

Disney Cruise Line regrets that the crew members on board are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, and so for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.

The following electrical appliances are not permitted on board due to safety concerns: rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, bottle sterilizers and bottle warmers. A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. In addition, Guests can request hot water to be delivered to their stateroom at any time from Room Service.

Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area. Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/food-storage-containers/

• 1 year later...

I have cruised too many times to count. With other cruise lines, bringing food/alcoholic beverage strictly prohibited and it known that people get creative when trying to sneak it on board. With other cruise lines, When you purchase bottles of wine for dinner when you first board, they uncork at table but will NOT let you take out of dining room. I enjoy a glass of wine late at night sitting on verandah listening to the water after kids are in bed. I was thrilled when I found Disney allowed you to bring with you. We brought 1 bottle for each night. At the end of our cruise, we emptied the remnants of the 1 bottle opened the entire 4 nights. The cruise was so amazing, magical and unbelievably relaxing with so much to do, we did not feel the need to drink to unwind at all. We were even laughing because we thought we would have to pay duty on the wine we brought with us when we disembarked.

I have cruised too many times to count. With other cruise lines, bringing food/alcoholic beverage strictly prohibited and it known that people get creative when trying to sneak it on board. With other cruise lines, When you purchase bottles of wine for dinner when you first board, they uncork at table but will NOT let you take out of dining room. I enjoy a glass of wine late at night sitting on verandah listening to the water after kids are in bed. I was thrilled when I found Disney allowed you to bring with you. We brought 1 bottle for each night. At the end of our cruise, we emptied the remnants of the 1 bottle opened the entire 4 nights. The cruise was so amazing, magical and unbelievably relaxing with so much to do, we did not feel the need to drink to unwind at all. We were even laughing because we thought we would have to pay duty on the wine we brought with us when we disembarked.

You wouldn't have to pay duty on that wine as you each get a couple of bottles duty free.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My understanding is that each adult can bring one unopened bottle of wine on board (as well as any hard liquor) for in room consumption with no fee.

If you have a bottle of wine with dinner every night, as we do, then we will pay the corkage fee each night and carry on as many bottles as cruise nights. We are loyal Regent cruisers so bringing on our own liquor is new to us. We're excited for our first upcoming family Disney Magic trip...just want to make sure we get it right!

??

I am actually very surprised that DCL allows that ... what happens if guests keep drinking from their stash in the cabin ... walking around drunk and belligerent? If they were getting drinks from a bar the bartender can refuse service but who can take the liquor out if their cabin??

I suspect this doesn't happen often on DCL because because they still allow alcohol on board

My understanding is that each adult can bring one unopened bottle of wine on board (as well as any hard liquor) for in room consumption with no fee.

If you have a bottle of wine with dinner every night, as we do, then we will pay the corkage fee each night and carry on as many bottles as cruise nights. We are loyal Regent cruisers so bringing on our own liquor is new to us. We're excited for our first upcoming family Disney Magic trip...just want to make sure we get it right!

??

You can bring as much wine as you want. The caveat is that it must be carried on, not checked. Like you, we are glad to pay the corkage I. Order to have the vintages and producers we enjoy. We like our wine with age on it, and u less you spend a good chunk of money in Remy for a bottle, that isn't going to happen on DCL.

I am actually very surprised that DCL allows that ... what happens if guests keep drinking from their stash in the cabin ... walking around drunk and belligerent? If they were getting drinks from a bar the bartender can refuse service but who can take the liquor out if their cabin??

I suspect this doesn't happen often on DCL because because they still allow alcohol on board

Unlike some of the mass market ships, they don't apply a one size fits all punitive policy and deal with the rare problem on a case by case basis.

You can bring as much wine as you want. The caveat is that it must be carried on, not checked. Like you, we are glad to pay the corkage I. Order to have the vintages and producers we enjoy. We like our wine with age on it, and u less you spend a good chunk of money in Remy for a bottle, that isn't going to happen on DCL.

Thanks! We too like good wine at dinner. As for our adult children we're traveling with, they like to have Vodka cocktails in their room while getting ready for dinner and I understand that basically, if you can carry it on, you can bring it on.