Dolphin Encounter.....

maryj426

IMHO, I wouldn't spend the money for a 2 year old but it all depends on your budget and your child. As far as clean vs. gross, our experience in puerta vallarta was good, but friends did the costa maya one and said it was really gross and had sharp rocks in the bottom. YMMV.

Where are you thinking about doing the dolphin encounter is the question? There are plenty of ports with a dolphin encounter and each are different and some places even have a few on the island.

We just went last month to the dolphin discovery at Chankanaab Beach (which is a national park and BEAUTIFUL) and the dolphins are there (along with a sea lion show and swim with manatees) and the water was nice (in the ocean and sectioned off). It was clean and beautiful.

We took our 3 year old and if they are under 3 and a certain height, you can have your little one go for free (with paying adult). Our daughter LOVED it and squealed with delight. Even though we only booked the dolphin encounter, they also let us to the manatee as well. Not sure why but it was a wonderful day.

Here is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Also with any dolphin encounter/swim, you get free admission to Chankanaab (absolutely gorgeous there!!), which usually cost $21 pp to enter. Well worth it and a wonderful day.

Here is my review for Chankanaab:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

There are links at the bottom of both with additional pictures. :)

I second Mitsu's post. We did Chankanaab in Cozumel with our DD in March. She was only 18 months, so she was free with the paying adults. We all had a wonderful time. DH at first didn't want to let DD get in the water and tried to hold her on the pier while my sister and I went in. Well, DD would not have any of that! She loved, loved, loved it! I don't know how much she'll remember, but the three of us adults won't soon forget what a great time we had.

I'll echo the other posts that you need to check out the cleanliness of the venue before you go, we were at Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau which was fantastic.

DS2 had just turned 3yrs when he did the dolphin encounter. He was free, but could participate fully just like the rest of us. He was NOT THRILLED with the dolphins swimming around splashing sea water on him as the first interaction. This set up his (grumpy) mood for the rest of the encounter. He did finally come around and feed the dolphin a fish and pat it's belly, and even though it is almost a year ago he still talks about it. As a reference, even our 5.5 yo had some trouble with the fast pace of the whole event.

My opinion would be to participate if the child is free, but I wouldn't pay for a child that young to participate, in case the didn't like it, got scared etc etc etc. You just don't know how a child that young will react to a very large swimming mammal ;)

I second the previous poster's comments. Every time I play the overpriced DVD from the Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab, I cringe when I see the first few frames of my then 4-year-old daughter trying to jump out of my arms rather than pat a toothy dolphin named Pegaso in choppy, tepid water. It was definitely a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime marine experience for me, but DD had zero fun until she could stand in safety on the adjoining dock and use a toy to play "catch" with Pegaso. I thought she loved dolphins enough to overcome her fear, and she's a pretty brave girl overall, but that was more than she was ready for. All I can suggest is to be careful in planning a dolphin program for a young child that puts the dolphin too "up close and personal" for that child's taste.

Thanks for the replies so far we have looked and looked and are thinking about either Chankanaab or Dolphin Cove in Grand Cayman and are leaning more towards Dolphin Cove simply because there is something else in Cozumel we would rather do. Either way on Carnival's website it states that they would be free. However the dolphin cove even though it state infants are free it states a minimum age of 5 but when i go directly to the website it states that under a certain height limit kids are free and says nothing about an age limit so i will have to call carnival tomorrow. Does anyone know if either of those places sell observation tickets? Are cameras allowed? If not how much are the pictures. Thanks so much!!

I did one with a 2 year old. Do I care that she was only 2 - no, because *I* remember. ;):D

We were in Freeport though so I can't comment on how "clean" the water is in those other ones. I can tell you that I had a waterproof camera with me. And generally they make a big deal about "leaving all cameras away from the water so you don't get yours damaged" (yeahhhhh, right -- it is so you have to pay for theirs -- prices range from $19.99 to $59.99 packages)

We've done the dolphin encounters 5 times - all the times have been in the Bahamas though.

Cruise-06-GabDolphin.jpg

Odds are if observation tickets are sold, its so you may watch them. They will be very strict on "no cameras" for watchers.

I did a Dolphin Swim in Cozumel. The only cameras they allowed were water proof cameras by participants. They also tailor the event so they can take their pictures to sell you at an exorbitant price. We had people who had to redo one of the activities because the picture came out bad.... In addition, there was a couple who changed their minds when they got to the park and decided just to watch as their family was doing the excursion. They were very quickly told they had to put their cameras away.

I'm very glad I bought the waterproof case for my digital camera. The folks at the park weren't.

Height limits: Do they measure the kids? DS is pretty close to the minimum height, but I'm not sure that he would be quite there. Is there a reason that anyone could think of that I shouldn't even try it with one that maybe a inch too short?

Thanks

Worth it is a very personal decision. Your two year old will remember nothing. Likely would squeal in equal excitment given a big bunny to pet. For the parents its a "kodak" moment for sure. But also be ready that camera usage that I've seen has been very restrictive the place I did it at.

If you do it, I'd say go full on and do the most expensive. All the touch or shorter encounters I've seen or did myself I found very unsatisfying.

Now would I do it if it presents itself? I asked the CFO this past time in Hawaii and she veto'd it. Funny as we think nothing of dropping 500 bucks a day for skiing, whats that much for a hour in the water with a incarcerate and abused highly intelligent mammal. I'd take the kids, but no question its pricey!

Do you think its worth a dolphin encounter with a 2 year old or maybe we should wait until next cruise???? Will the water be gross or clean?

I second Mitsu's post. We did Chankanaab in Cozumel with our DD in March. She was only 18 months, so she was free with the paying adults. We all had a wonderful time. DH at first didn't want to let DD get in the water and tried to hold her on the pier while my sister and I went in. Well, DD would not have any of that! She loved, loved, loved it! I don't know how much she'll remember, but the three of us adults won't soon forget what a great time we had.

Did you book this with the cruise line or privately???

Now you've all got me really interested in doing one of these adventures, but it seems all the ones offered by the cruise line either have a min. age or min. height requirement that my DS doesn't meet....

ok i posted this in the main carnival for hoping to get an answer as more people look over there but here is our problem...

We are really wanting to go on this excursion however are received some conflicting advise??? OK on Carnival's website it states that the minimum age to participate is 5 however it also states that infants three and under are free and that they are considered a lap passenger and reservations are not required. My daughter is 2 so according to what it states on their website she would be free. My husband and I really want to do this excursion and there is not anything else we are really interested in in Grand Cayman so here is my question. Because it states the minimum age to participate is 5 would that mean she wouldn't be able to get in the water?? I called carnival's customer service who then transferred me to to ESolutions who stated that yes she could come and she would be free however she would not be able to participate???? He stated there would probably allowed certain activities where she could participate in and some she couldn't however we wouldn't be able to know the specifics until participating in the excursion. The excursion is located at Dolphin Cove and it states that the encounters are specifically geared towards the younger children and there is not a minimum age? I cannot book through them due to the non compete clause they have with Carnival however cant get my questions answered. Is there anyone on here that has done or been in a group where there was a 2 year old and they were allowed to participate??? Any more ideas on how i could get my exact questions handled? It just make me nervous how it states a minimum age and with the explanation there is nothing for four year olds lol what if there was a four year old they wouldn't be considered an infant or a child it just seems fishy to me like a glitch in the write up of something????

ok i posted this in the main carnival for hoping to get an answer as more people look over there but here is our problem...

We are really wanting to go on this excursion however are received some conflicting advise??? OK on Carnival's website it states that the minimum age to participate is 5 however it also states that infants three and under are free and that they are considered a lap passenger and reservations are not required. My daughter is 2 so according to what it states on their website she would be free. My husband and I really want to do this excursion and there is not anything else we are really interested in in Grand Cayman so here is my question. Because it states the minimum age to participate is 5 would that mean she wouldn't be able to get in the water?? I called carnival's customer service who then transferred me to to ESolutions who stated that yes she could come and she would be free however she would not be able to participate???? He stated there would probably allowed certain activities where she could participate in and some she couldn't however we wouldn't be able to know the specifics until participating in the excursion. The excursion is located at Dolphin Cove and it states that the encounters are specifically geared towards the younger children and there is not a minimum age? I cannot book through them due to the non compete clause they have with Carnival however cant get my questions answered. Is there anyone on here that has done or been in a group where there was a 2 year old and they were allowed to participate??? Any more ideas on how i could get my exact questions handled? It just make me nervous how it states a minimum age and with the explanation there is nothing for four year olds lol what if there was a four year old they wouldn't be considered an infant or a child it just seems fishy to me like a glitch in the write up of something????

My advice is to book and check with the shore excursion desk when you get onboard, they usually have the best info. If the provider says that there is no minimum age then you should be fine. I am thinking about doing the Dolphin Cove encounter with my 1yo and based on their website it looks as though the minimum age is 1 and there is a height limit more than age limit.

My advice is to book and check with the shore excursion desk when you get onboard, they usually have the best info. If the provider says that there is no minimum age then you should be fine. I am thinking about doing the Dolphin Cove encounter with my 1yo and based on their website it looks as though the minimum age is 1 and there is a height limit more than age limit.

I would suggest printing out what is on the website and bringing it with you. Our experience was with NCL, but I knew more than the shore excursion staff about how DS2 was going to participate in this excursion :confused: What we did was call the shore excursion desk (NCL lets you pre-book shore excursions by phone), explained our situation and ended up booking 4 tickets with the plan to have the one for DS2 refunded once on board. They booked 4 tickets to ensure there was space for DS2 on the transfer from the ship, even though he was free. Once on board it was a good thing I had my printout and notes from the telephone conversation, as the person I spoke to was clueless. It ended up working out fine, DS2 was free and still able to participate but it was a real headache getting the paperwork figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...we did it and my DD loved it! Mostly she just loved splashing around in the water but she also liked seeing the dolphins as well. I started showing her videos and pictures of them a few weeks ago and so when we got there and she saw them jumping in and out of the water she recognized them. Even though it says they must be three to participate they let my daughter participate and she is 2. We werent able to use our cameras :( but we did purchase a picture of her kissing the "dulpin" lol for only 25.00:eek:. Let me know if anyone has any questions!!

AXL_0232.jpg.5fec74a53fc7af54257648c69c0dde49.jpg

Well...we did it and my DD loved it! Mostly she just loved splashing around in the water but she also liked seeing the dolphins as well. I started showing her videos and pictures of them a few weeks ago and so when we got there and she saw them jumping in and out of the water she recognized them. Even though it says they must be three to participate they let my daughter participate and she is 2. We werent able to use our cameras :( but we did purchase a picture of her kissing the "dulpin" lol for only 25.00:eek:. Let me know if anyone has any questions!!

AWWWWW! See, THAT picture makes it all worth it! I don't care what else you do on your cruises and how many cruises you go on, that ONE picture, you will always remember. HOW CUTE! :D

We are really wanting to go on this excursion however are received some conflicting advise??? OK on Carnival's website it states that the minimum age to participate is 5 however it also states that infants three and under are free and that they are considered a lap passenger and reservations are not required. My daughter is 2 so according to what it states on their website she would be free.

I've done this in Cozumel several times with my kids when they were below the age the cruise will book them for... I just booked the excursion privately through the Dolphin Encounter website and hired a cab to take us to the park.

• 3 weeks later...
Height limits: Do they measure the kids? DS is pretty close to the minimum height, but I'm not sure that he would be quite there. Is there a reason that anyone could think of that I shouldn't even try it with one that maybe a inch too short?

Thanks

Did you get any more information on this? Would like to take my son, who is 3'10" in bare feet. He's a decent swimmer and would no doubt love the experience (and be very unhappy if his much taller older sister got to do it alone!).

Thanks

We've done the dolphin encounters 5 times - all the times have been in the Bahamas though.

You're so awesomely experienced! :) Do you happen to know if all of the Bahamas dolphin encounters allow you to use your own camera? We, too, have an underwater one and we'd really prefer to use that than buy one from the place. If we're able to swing the expense of an encounter, I'd want looooots of pictures. ;)

I also have to chime in that the safety factor is determined by weather and water conditions. When we went in Cozumel at Chankanaab (which was great), the water/constant small waves were coming at us from behind, so it was VERY challenging to keep a hold of my then 7 year old as well as keep myself behind the line you have to stand behind (otherwise you're in the path of the racing 1000 pound dolphins). My husband didn't feel like he wanted to do it enough to justify the cost, so it was me and my then 7 and 11 year olds and it was difficult. Thankfully the people next to me would grab on to my son's lifejacket when I was really struggling. Just something to think about.

Archived