Paid Upgrade at Pier

rydan

My own experience is that with the discounting done prior to the sailings, there are not usually upgrades available at the pier.

The best way to get the paid upgrade is to watch prices after final payment and if there happens to be a discount you are eligible for, call X and see if you can change cabins for the difference in price.

Either way - have a great cruise!!!!:)

Has anyone had first hand experiance with paying for an upgrade at the pier.

Thanks

Yes.

Several years ago we were cruising on a B2B with friends from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso and back to Ft Lauderdale. In Valparaiso we arranged for an upgrade from an inside to a CC cabin for $600 per cabin.

We have had more success paying for an upgrade while on board than obtaining one at the pier. For some reason the Pier Co-ordinator is very difficult to find and the cruises nearly always seem to be full when enquiring at Customer relations.. I think there is a long waiting list for upgrades and it's easier to say that none are available than to add your name to the list. Most ships now seem to be sailing full and no upgrades are available.

We used to be able to get them all the time. However, the last time we were able to do this was in 2003 on the Explorer of the Seas. We went from a balcony cabin to an owner's suite for an extra $400 per cabin. However, I am told that it is a thing of the past. Now-a-days, they upgrade in an effort to fill empty cabins (e.g., they will upgrade a frequent cruiser if they have a lot of suites but no cheaper cabins available - this will free up the cheaper cabin to re-sell and promote good will with the other passenger) It is easier to sell the cheaper cabins.

If you want to try, get there very early and ask for the pier coordinator after you check in. If they have anything available, they will switch your cabin. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :D

The best way is not at the pier, but rather at the Guest Relations desk. We know several cruisers that have had pretty good luck by getting onboard as soon as possible and going directly to Guest Services to ask about upgrades. Sometimes you might get lucky right away, other times they say no, but quite commonly they will put your name on a list and say they will call you if something becomes available. In some cases this does happen and you get a call.

Hank

After reading on this board about the "pier coordinator" several years ago, like 2003 or so, I started asking as soon as we arrived at the pier. It was either no one knew what I was talking about or to wait till we board and check with guest relations. The one time an upgrade was offered, balcony to a sky suite for $400, was on day three of a 14 day cruise. We declined.

Usually there will be upgrades at the Pier Coordinator desk only when there are last minute cancellations.

Once there were 5 balconies and 4 JS thrown back into the pool on the Radiance when a grandfather passed away with 3 days to go before a sailing; all 9 cabins were held by the extended families.

The second time was on the Explorer 14 night holiday sailing Dec 2010. There were giant snowstorms in the UK 4 days before the sailing and 400 people couldn't get out of Heathrow in time to get to New York to catch the ship in Bayonne.

The Pier Coordinator was very busy that day; we upgraded from an inside to a large balcony for a few hundred each, on a long holiday cruise.

I cheCked in with the pier coordinator who said she didn't know of anything but I was first on the list. We were called that night by guest relations and offered an upgrade to CC For $250 or the RS for $7500! Guess which we took?

Royal sweet!!! Right?

Was able to do it three times in 2002-03... the best was actually a Norwegian sailing where we had each booked a regular suite and were offered an opportunity to combine and go into one of the amazing Garden Villas (basically an apartment at sea). Of course it was not free, but worth every penny and still a fraction of what it would have cost if we pre-booked it.

But this concept really seems like a thing of the past.

On Royal about 4 years ago the people I was traveling with had to cancel at the last minute. Their insurance reimbursed them and I knew their better cabin (with one of the really large balconies) was paid for as far as X was concerned. I went to the port co-ordinator and explained that I knew they had canceled last minute and that I would like to have the cabin. She kept me waiting for 3 hours (the only up side of that was I am now quite well acquainted with Donnie Osmond:D) and finally gave me a price of $200 or $300 (can't remember which). In any case it was a good deal, especially for a single, and it was worth the wait.

BTW, I don't mean that she was rude it just seemed to be a bigger deal that I knew it was canceled before they did.

The best way is not at the pier, but rather at the Guest Relations desk. We know several cruisers that have had pretty good luck by getting onboard as soon as possible and going directly to Guest Services to ask about upgrades. Sometimes you might get lucky right away, other times they say no, but quite commonly they will put your name on a list and say they will call you if something becomes available. In some cases this does happen and you get a call.

Hank

Yes, that is the best way to do it. We were lucky on the Brilliance last year in the Med. & got that call right after dinner & before we had unpacked. We had been told that the ship was full , but we would be put on a waiting list just in case. DH thought that the additonal amount for a suite was worth every penny.

• 3 months later...

Over the years we have upgraded on a few occasions on embarkation day. But it was never done at the pier, but rather on board the ship either via Guest Relations or the ship's concierge.

It also helps to study inventory right up until the last minute and jot down any vacant cabin/suite numbers you may be interested in. That worked the last time for us in 2008 when Guest Relations said there were no upgrades available despite the butler in our Sky Suite confirming the Royal Suite two doors down (which he was also in charge of) was vacant. So I contacted Guest Relations again, this time asking specifically about RS Room #6142, their reply suddenly changed! And, yes, the upgrade fee was at a reduced rate. Do your homework and hope for the best. Nothing to lose by asking.

Years ago you used to be able to negotiate cabin changes at the dock or front desk of a cruise ship. Now most of the times there is a sign strongly in place stating "cruise full, no cabin changes possible".

This is because cruiselines have gotten smarter with what they offer at discount or for free. They have implemented complicated revenue management systems similar to airlines. They use complex algorithms to determine how much they need to bring in by X date per cruise....and how many cabins need to be sold to make X much money..... It is these numbers that lead to price changes, guarantee cabins, bumps and upgrades. The computers are analyzing last years bookings and spends constantly....which is why prices are always fluctuating.

THEN to protect their revenue stream they adapted the "no refund for lower prices" HOWEVER when airlines tried to do this, the government consumer groups stepped in and this was quickly overturned....now you have to pay a fee but you can get some money back....one day I am sure there will be a lawsuit and the cruiselines will change....They NEED more regulation.... Unfortunately this only happens when there is a tragedy like the Costa Concordia.

Regardless, IMHO the days of last minute paid upgrades on X are pretty much OVER. That said, I have seen people receive last minute upgrades at check in and be totally surprised.... Just the luck of the gods!

Happy Sails to all.

Years ago you used to be able to negotiate cabin changes at the dock or front desk of a cruise ship. Now most of the times there is a sign strongly in place stating "cruise full, no cabin changes possible".

That "we're full" sign was always there every time we upgraded on board between 2003 and 2008. So much for the sign.....:eek:

A few years back we were sailing RCCL out of San Juan and got to talking with some pax from Puerto Rico on board. The cabins that were not booked several weeks before departure were offered to locals at a reduced price to fill the ship. When we discussed what they paid most said they got such a good deal they couldn't pass it up. We paid over $400.00 more for the same cabin type. I guess they wanted to sail with a full ship. When we tried to ask about this at the front desk we got no answers.

J.

A few years back we were sailing RCCL out of San Juan and got to talking with some pax from Puerto Rico on board. The cabins that were not booked several weeks before departure were offered to locals at a reduced price to fill the ship. When we discussed what they paid most said they got such a good deal they couldn't pass it up. We paid over $400.00 more for the same cabin type. I guess they wanted to sail with a full ship. When we tried to ask about this at the front desk we got no answers.

J.

Those passengers will most likely spend money inboard that cruise line wouldn't get otherwise. They don't just offer deals to "locals". The gial is to use supply and demand to sail at 100% full

J.

It's really no different than 50% of the people on an airplane all paid different prices for the same product (a seat!). And it explains why the person in the hotel room next door to you paid 50% less than you did because the hotel had excess rooms to fill and did so by liquidating them via Priceline.

Archived