Some thoughts about carnivals autotip increase, and tipping in general

honestguy

First off understand I work for tips. I've done it for the last 10 years of my life, so I'm going to be pro-tipping.

Carnival can sail close to 60,000 guests a week. Times that by $10.50. (thats what the increase comes to for 7 days) and you get $630,000 bucks. Now the big stink is over the entertainment getting a share of that. Before the increase alternative services was getting a dollar a day. Now they have doubled that, so of the new 600,000 bucks coming in 400,000 of it goes to alternative services. This has some up in arms.

I've heard a ton of arguments for and against, and the against side is saying well I don't tip the cook at my restaurant. No you probably don't, but understand this. You live in America probably, and thats how we do it here. Just because its our custom doesn't make it right or wrong.

I always take time to get to know the wait staff wherever I'm at. I was surprised to find out at the last all-inclusive resort I stayed at, that the tips I left for the waiters were split with the back of the house.(cooks chef dishwasher) Its just the way they did things. Didnt make it right didn't make it wrong.

Understand every restaurant that you eat in that requires waiters will have some form of tip pooling. Now unlike Carnival. The restaurant doesn't reveal how it distributes the tips. I think Carnival should keep how the break up the tips as an internal matter.

Now lets look at the entertainment staff. How many people do you think is on the ships entertainment staff? Well when I worked on board the total number of true entertainers was way under 50 probably under 30. Now they have support staff and even then with the support staff its less than a hundred. Rest assure most of that alternative services tip pool is going to people doing grunt jobs, and even if it isn't you mean to tell me that you have never tipped a musician in a restaurant or bar before? I have and seen it done lots of times.

There is a reason why there is very few Americans on board the pay is crap, and the work is too hard for most. Even the people on salary behind the scenes make crap. You are spending on average 2000 bucks per person if not more for a weeks vacation, and your pitching a fit over $10.50 of which 7 dollars your mad about. Seriously there are more important things to be worrying about. If 7 bucks is that important to you, maybe you should stay home and count your money, and not cruise carnival anymore

My thoughts are we still dont know how the tips are divided. says alternative staff which includes kitchen staff. John was asked once and he said it was mostly going to workers in the buffet (not the others who also work in alternative services).

I too worked for tips and I also had to share tips not only with bus help, but I also had to give a percentage to the bar tender .. even if my tables did not order drinks.

Until Carnival tells us everyone in alternative services is sharing in the $2 a day .. we still dont know who gets it. Even if it all goes to kitchen services .. I still dont care. It is between Carnival and the employees. I would not tip less because I found out someone cutting up celery in the back room got tips who I did not interact with.

I too support the tip increase.

First off understand I work for tips. I've done it for the last 10 years of my life, so I'm going to be pro-tipping.

Carnival can sail close to 60,000 guests a week. Times that by $10.50. (thats what the increase comes to for 7 days) and you get $630,000 bucks. Now the big stink is over the entertainment getting a share of that. Before the increase alternative services was getting a dollar a day. Now they have doubled that, so of the new 600,000 bucks coming in 400,000 of it goes to alternative services. This has some up in arms.

I've heard a ton of arguments for and against, and the against side is saying well I don't tip the cook at my restaurant. No you probably don't, but understand this. You live in America probably, and thats how we do it here. Just because its our custom doesn't make it right or wrong.

I always take time to get to know the wait staff wherever I'm at. I was surprised to find out at the last all-inclusive resort I stayed at, that the tips I left for the waiters were split with the back of the house.(cooks chef dishwasher) Its just the way they did things. Didnt make it right didn't make it wrong.

Understand every restaurant that you eat in that requires waiters will have some form of tip pooling. Now unlike Carnival. The restaurant doesn't reveal how it distributes the tips. I think Carnival should keep how the break up the tips as an internal matter.

Now lets look at the entertainment staff. How many people do you think is on the ships entertainment staff? Well when I worked on board the total number of true entertainers was way under 50 probably under 30. Now they have support staff and even then with the support staff its less than a hundred. Rest assure most of that alternative services tip pool is going to people doing grunt jobs, and even if it isn't you mean to tell me that you have never tipped a musician in a restaurant or bar before? I have and seen it done lots of times.

There is a reason why there is very few Americans on board the pay is crap, and the work is too hard for most. Even the people on salary behind the scenes make crap. You are spending on average 2000 bucks per person if not more for a weeks vacation, and your pitching a fit over $10.50 of which 7 dollars your mad about. Seriously there are more important things to be worrying about. If 7 bucks is that important to you, maybe you should stay home and count your money, and not cruise carnival anymore

are you even aware what a chef is paid on a ship?

rumor has it that your service staff makes about 50 a month, plus tips. these are the guys that are getting a 1/3rd of the new tips.

a basic entry level cook can make $500 a week, and a chef can make $2000 a week. these are the guys getting a portion of the 2/3rds of the new tip.

go figure.....

I completely agree :)

I agree that Carnival should keep the tip distribution an internal matter. They probably should have done this when they first implemented the auto tips.

rumor has it that your service staff makes about 50 a month, plus tips. these are the guys that are getting a 1/3rd of the new tips.

a basic entry level cook can make $500 a week, and a chef can make $2000 a week. these are the guys getting a portion of the 2/3rds of the new tip.

go figure.....

2000 per week for a chef? Plus room and board. Nice work if you can get it. And now he gets to put his hand in the tip jar. Even better.

Very Disappointed in Carnival Cruise Lines right now over dispute for on-board credit. RECOMMEND AGAINST buying credit for future trips. Two years ago, I paid $100 for $200 credit. They say they screwed up, never charged me the $100 (to my CC). I can't prove it one way or another. They want another $100 for the $200 credit. I just want my credit. They say no.

I agree that Carnival should keep the tip distribution an internal matter. They probably should have done this when they first implemented the auto tips.

Well they could have but they didnt and now people like me can question why out of the increase of $ 1.50 the stewards and waitstaff are only getting 0.50.

IMHO they should be getting most if not all of it. And I do believe I have a right to my opinion.

Hurray--we agree totally----these people work very hard--and come from very poor countries--and also in some cases support their families. We are now on our 47th cruise and always add---and additional sum of money to the waiters and the stewards. The joyces----irene and john--also known as jugger--

go figure.....

Hey buddy guess what I worked on a cruise ship. I know what they make. I can assure you the chefs aren't getting 2k a week. I doubt the executive chef is getting that much, however lets assume for argument sake your numbers are right. They work at least 70 hours a week. Probably more like 80 or 90, but we will go with 70, cause I know it isn't less. remember I've been there. the waiter is making .18 cents an hour plus tips. The cook 7.14 an hour, and those chefs are making 28 an hour. Which I promise you isn't the case. I work in one of Charlotte's finest restaurants, and our chefs don't come close to making that. Last time I check my company has never lost a chef to go work on an international cruise line. I would put the average chef's pay on board closer to 800 to 1000 a week.

They also get room and board too. Want to get an idea for that. Go into your wife's or husband's walk in closet remove all the clothes and shelves. Now put in 2 sets of bunk beds and a bathroom. there's your room. As for the food open up a can of dog food heat it up and serve it with some rice let me know how it tastes.

Lastly remember you are the one that is upset with having to give 7 extra dollars per seven day cruise to the alternative services. If its that big of a deal give me your address and I would be happy to mail you 7 dollars for your next cruise:)

Its still internal. We dont know how the $2 is divided and thats what the fight is about. People are guessing, and then getting upset with their own guesses. The $2 could be to any or all of the alternative staff, but without facts and a break down people are still yelling.

About now Host Mach would normally step in and offer to find out how its broken out .. but he is on a cruise. So, at this point we do NOT know how its broken out. I do find it odd to get so upset when they dont know the breakdown.

... nevermind that $1 was already going to alternative services before, and its just a $1 increase to $2 to alternative .. . now it seems to be a hot button that they dont know and none want to bother finding out the answer. I personally think some facts would help and maybe calm down folks .. but maybe not. We have some here who would not believe the facts anyway.

2000 per week for a chef? Plus room and board. Nice work if you can get it. And now he gets to put his hand in the tip jar. Even better.

I promise you they don't make that. H8 just likes to throw around numbers. When I worked on board it wasn't close to that, I worked American flagged. All the international people with greencards were trying to get on board to work, because the pay was so much better.

I highly doubt any of the managers are dipping into the tip pool. More likely its for the fry and grill cook making 5 bucks an hour

This whole issue has become way too big thank you for your level headed response. I hope that people who keep saying that Carnival should get the money from somewhere else remember that we are all enjoying the fact that we are not paying a fuel surcharge that has been allowed by contract for some time. Also these people work extremely hard 7 days a week and away from their homes and family. Certainly I would pay more for tips daily if I just ate out three times a day not even considering other services.

Its still internal. We dont know how the $2 is divided and thats what the fight is about. People are guessing, and then getting upset with their own guesses. The $2 could be to any or all of the alternative staff, but without facts and a break down people are still yelling.

About now Host Mach would normally step in and offer to find out how its broken out .. but he is on a cruise. So, at this point we do NOT know how its broken out. I do find it odd to get so upset when they dont know the breakdown.

... nevermind that $1 was already going to alternative services before, and its just a $1 increase to $2 to alternative .. . now it seems to be a hot button that they dont know and none want to bother finding out the answer. I personally think some facts would help and maybe calm down folks .. but maybe not. We have some here who would not believe the facts anyway.

I'm talking about ALL tips. And if people didn't like that they still had the option to remove and distribute how they wanted. I really don't need the breakdown of the waiter, cabin stewards whatever unless it was still done the old way with envelopes. And even then it was just a guideline. Otherwise just give us one total and be done with it......

And Captain Mach is notorious for posting wrong info......

I promise you they don't make that. H8 just likes to throw around numbers. When I worked on board it wasn't close to that, I worked American flagged. All the international people with greencards were trying to get on board to work, because the pay was so much better.

I highly doubt any of the managers are dipping into the tip pool. More likely its for the fry and grill cook making 5 bucks an hour

honestguy, since you worked on the ship (sounds like NCL)... what is your opinion.

John previously said the $1 went to buffet type workers. H8 says John the blogger who works for Carnival doesnt know what he is talking about.

Would you doubt that this money is for buffet type workers, .. in whatever capacity, as John says?

Well they could have but they didnt and now people like me can question why out of the increase of $ 1.50 the stewards and waitstaff are only getting 0.50.

IMHO they should be getting most if not all of it. And I do believe I have a right to my opinion.

Well said. I do not agree that folk at the guest service or entertainment staff should be incuded in tips. The people who need this increase are the hardworking Stewards wait staff etc. Just my opinion.:)

Well said. I do not agree that folk at the guest service or entertainment staff should be incuded in tips. The people who need this increase are the hardworking Stewards wait staff etc. Just my opinion.:)

Again you do not KNOW they are sharing the tips. It just says these people work in alternative services .. that does not mean 1 + 1 = 4.

Until you find out how that $2 is divided .. you like others are just jumping to conclusions that EVERYONE who works in alternative services is sharing these tips .. which is not what it says. reread what it says, it only says these people work in alternative services.

get some facts before you jump to conclusions. You are reading into what it says .. then jumping to your own conclusions without facts. le grrr on people who dont have facts ... but making them up to suit their own scenerio..which could be true. but most likely isnt.

Hey buddy guess what I worked on a cruise

Lastly remember you are the one that is upset with having to give 7 extra dollars per seven day cruise to the alternative services. If its that big of a deal give me your address and I would be happy to mail you 7 dollars for your next cruise:)

Don't get so worked up. The majority of posters here have no problem with the increase, and those that do have a right to their opinion. Carnival should have just increased the cruise price by $10.50 and left it at that.

I haven't read the thread on the new tipping guidelines, but wanted to add my two cents.

I believe tips should be mandatory and included in the price of the cruise. It galls me to see people having the tips removed and to hear their flimsy excuses.

Shirley

Hey buddy guess what I worked on a cruise ship. I know what they make. I can assure you the chefs aren't getting 2k a week. I doubt the executive chef is getting that much, however lets assume for argument sake your numbers are right. They work at least 70 hours a week. Probably more like 80 or 90, but we will go with 70, cause I know it isn't less. remember I've been there. the waiter is making .18 cents an hour plus tips. The cook 7.14 an hour, and those chefs are making 28 an hour. Which I promise you isn't the case. I work in one of Charlotte's finest restaurants, and our chefs don't come close to making that. Last time I check my company has never lost a chef to go work on an international cruise line. I would put the average chef's pay on board closer to 800 to 1000 a week.

They also get room and board too. Want to get an idea for that. Go into your wife's or husband's walk in closet remove all the clothes and shelves. Now put in 2 sets of bunk beds and a bathroom. there's your room. As for the food open up a can of dog food heat it up and serve it with some rice let me know how it tastes.

it is public info on the nets, so check it out for yourself. and make it 28 dollars. there are 4 of us. give it to your favorite charity.

but that's a pittance compared to the tax savings carnival banks making you pay a tip, as opposed to collecting it as taxable income, and raising the staffs salary.

they are glad you are contributing to keeping their profits high.

honestguy, since you worked on the ship (sounds like NCL)... what is your opinion.

John previously said the $1 went to buffet type workers. H8 says John the blogger who works for Carnival doesnt know what he is talking about.

Would you doubt that this money is for buffet type workers, .. in whatever capacity, as John says?

This is how I see it. The highest paid people on the ship are the waiters and the room stewards. They get a chunk of the auto tip, plus they get to interact with the guest and get cash tips on top of the auto tips. That said they are also some if the hardest working. When I worked on board I would finish serving guest around 10 or 1030 and most nights not leave for my cabin till 1230 or 1 in the morning. Most days you had to be back at 6 am.

Now it always sucked working in the buffet. No guest interaction and no chance to make tips. Even though if you worked hard some people would slip you something, but it amounted to peanuts.

My ship had close to a 1000 crew members. Almost 300 of that was restaurant staff. Not kitchen staff. Almost 200 were room stewards, close to 100 bar workers, and 150 in the kitchen. that left 250 for everything else. engineers guest services cruise staff and all that.

People are upset that entertainers might be getting a share. Like I said before there is probably 30 enterainers on the ship. their share of the extra 10.50 is pennies on a dollar. There is way more buffet workers and laundry workers that entertainers.

it is public info on the nets, so check it out for yourself. and make it 28 dollars. there are 4 of us. give it to your favorite charity.

but that's a pittance compared to the tax savings carnival banks making you pay a tip, as opposed to collecting it as taxable income, and raising the staffs salary.

they are glad you are contributing to keeping their profits high.

Sorry you don't get off that easy. A link will work just fine. You can even PM the link showing where Carnival cruise ship chefs are making 2000 bucks a week.

If you want to throw out numbers you have to back them up with facts.

Lastly it wouldn't add to carnival's taxable income because they would pay it out in salary. Unless they kept a portion of the autotip. If you bring in a dollar and pay out that dollar in salary there is no income

Archived