Some thoughts about carnivals autotip increase, and tipping in general

honestguy

Hey buddy guess what I worked on a cruise ship. I know what they make. I can assure you the chefs aren't getting 2k a week. I doubt the executive chef is getting that much, however lets assume for argument sake your numbers are right. They work at least 70 hours a week. Probably more like 80 or 90, but we will go with 70, cause I know it isn't less. remember I've been there. the waiter is making .18 cents an hour plus tips. The cook 7.14 an hour, and those chefs are making 28 an hour. Which I promise you isn't the case. I work in one of Charlotte's finest restaurants, and our chefs don't come close to making that. Last time I check my company has never lost a chef to go work on an international cruise line. I would put the average chef's pay on board closer to 800 to 1000 a week.

They also get room and board too. Want to get an idea for that. Go into your wife's or husband's walk in closet remove all the clothes and shelves. Now put in 2 sets of bunk beds and a bathroom. there's your room. As for the food open up a can of dog food heat it up and serve it with some rice let me know how it tastes.

Lastly remember you are the one that is upset with having to give 7 extra dollars per seven day cruise to the alternative services. If its that big of a deal give me your address and I would be happy to mail you 7 dollars for your next cruise:)

I have one question;

When the ship gets in to port, where are the guys with the guns that keep the crew from escaping? I know based on what you are saying they must be being held against their will. Is this why from time to time you hear of crew jumping off the ship when it is leaving port, to to get away from their captures?

Oh here is my address, I expect the $7.00 in the next 2 weeks,

602 Spruce St

Yankton, SD 57078

I would love to make 800 to a 1000 a week and get free room and board and meals. And now they want us to tip these people. Are you nuts?

Did you not read the whole thread and see that nobody but the upper management of the ship is making that.

Hey buddy guess what I worked on a cruise ship. I know what they make. I can assure you the chefs aren't getting 2k a week. I doubt the executive chef is getting that much, however lets assume for argument sake your numbers are right. They work at least 70 hours a week. Probably more like 80 or 90, but we will go with 70, cause I know it isn't less. remember I've been there. the waiter is making .18 cents an hour plus tips. The cook 7.14 an hour, and those chefs are making 28 an hour. Which I promise you isn't the case. I work in one of Charlotte's finest restaurants, and our chefs don't come close to making that. Last time I check my company has never lost a chef to go work on an international cruise line. I would put the average chef's pay on board closer to 800 to 1000 a week.

They also get room and board too. Want to get an idea for that. Go into your wife's or husband's walk in closet remove all the clothes and shelves. Now put in 2 sets of bunk beds and a bathroom. there's your room. As for the food open up a can of dog food heat it up and serve it with some rice let me know how it tastes.

Lastly remember you are the one that is upset with having to give 7 extra dollars per seven day cruise to the alternative services. If its that big of a deal give me your address and I would be happy to mail you 7 dollars for your next cruise:)

Oh one more thing, sense you were on a ship,

What is your opinion of the $2.00 bill?

I still do this kind of work. I've worked for or have friends that have worked for most every major restaurant group in the US they all do it. Can't speak for Canada though. lol As for tipping chefs I have twice when one made me a chef's dinner, and came tableside, and last year on my cruise one chef stood out and helped me with a food issue.

Ok so since you still do this let me explain my problem with this whole thing. If the restaurant you work for thinks your an amazing waiter and wants you to have a raise, who should pay for that? Them or should they pull me aside and tell me to tip you more because your awesome.

That is my issue.

Let's see.. Land based chains.. I worked for O'Charleys Steakhouse, Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, Mayflower Seafood and Olive Garden. I never had to share my tips with anyone. The bartender had a tip share at Olive Garden that went to the bus boys.

On the sheet H8tosea posted, the exec chef can make up to 7,800 per month. At that level, we're talking $1,950 per week which in all fairness is about as close to 2k a week as you can get. :-) Semantics. I digress. Looking at it as a whole (amongst all the chefs on board).. no... you can't say they all make that. However, you also can't say that "none of them" do either.

However, you can't state in such certainties that nobody is making that.

So your telling me at the end of the night at outback you didnt tip out 3 percent of your sales to the house. Cause I did, and my wife did at o'charleys. i also know a GM for olive garden and know they tip out as well. As for that chef that is the executive chef and the 7800 was the highend of the pay scale. the low end was 4500 a far cry from 2k a week, and again that is one person out of a crew of over a 1000

So your telling me at the end of the night at outback you didnt tip out 3 percent of your sales to the house. Cause I did, and my wife did at o'charleys. i also know a GM for olive garden and know they tip out as well. As for that chef that is the executive chef and the 7800 was the highend of the pay scale. the low end was 4500 a far cry from 2k a week, and again that is one person out of a crew of over a 1000

The GM at olive garden receives tips:confused:

Ok so since you still do this let me explain my problem with this whole thing. If the restaurant you work for thinks your an amazing waiter and wants you to have a raise, who should pay for that? Them or should they pull me aside and tell me to tip you more because your awesome.

That is my issue.

OK, here is my issue with your reasoning. Carnival has a set amount for the last 10 years... so people dont usually tip over, they tip the amount required.

After 10 years, Carnival has decided its time to increase tips. Inflation ya know?

If tips were not a set flat amount then I could understand your reasoning, but they are not. This is the first increase in 10 years.

I bet that restaurant you tip at, the prices increased in the last 10 years? so you just automatically tip a little more, but with free food, it cannot be a percentage.

Not at all but have to believe it is all going to food based employees.

Do not understand why we should be tipping the people who are in guest services or entertainment.

At this time thinking that Carnival is sorry they ever gave out that info.

No, I happen to know that they save part of all the tips that customers leave, and give it to the people that service the furnace, plumber, laundry service, roofer, lighting people that change the bulbs, painters that come in from time to time,

OK, here is my issue with your reasoning. Carnival has a set amount for the last 10 years... so people dont usually tip over, they tip the amount required.

After 10 years, Carnival has decided its time to increase tips. Inflation ya know?

If tips were not a set flat amount then I could understand your reasoning, but they are not. This is the first increase in 10 years.

I bet that restaurant you tip at, the prices increased in the last 10 years? so you just automatically tip a little more, but with free food, it cannot be a percentage.

Carnival doesn't get to choose that it's time to increase my tips. I do!

And I am sure my food price has risen and I hoped they used some of that to pay the staff a better wage. :)

You fail to grasp that my food cost is mandatory, but my tip is not.

And how do you know that people don't tip over the required amount? Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I only know what I tip. I assume that is all you can speak to as well.

That is exactly what I am telling you. I live in Florida now and own 2 photography companies. But when I lived in North Carolina and first started working, it was at those places. That was roughly 8 years ago.

We frequent Olive Garden here and we are really good friends with a host there as well as 2 of the bartenders there. We have talked to them tons of times about this very issue. One of the bartender friends of ours has mentioned that she doesn't think it's fair that she has to tip share with the busboys but the servers don't. I texted her after reading your comment and she said none of the money goes to anyone but the servers for the servers wages. And the GM doesn't get squat

And I am sure my food price has risen and I hoped they used some of that to pay the staff a better wage. :)

You fail to grasp that my food cost is mandatory, but my tip is not.

And how do you know that people don't tip over the required amount? Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I only know what I tip. I assume that is all you can speak to as well.

Carnival is simply changing their suggested amount which is finally up there with all the other lines. You choose if you want to increase or decrease it.

What food prices are you talking about?

Carnival is simply changing their suggested amount which is finally up there with all the other lines. You choose if you want to increase or decrease it.

What food prices are you talking about?

That was in response to firefly in regards to a restaurant raising prices. See my above response.

Carnival can suggest away. :)

No, I happen to know that they save part of all the tips that customers leave, and give it to the people that service the furnace, plumber, laundry service, roofer, lighting people that change the bulbs, painters that come in from time to time,

Sorry but do not think you are making sense here.

Exactly why should we be tipping the folks in guest services?

Oh one more thing, sense you were on a ship,

What is your opinion of the $2.00 bill?

They spend like 1 dollar bills. Most i suppose go to the purser's desk for bigger bills. We have a guy that comes in and gives you a 2 dollar bill everytime you do something at his table. Its so annoying. He puts a stack of 50 of them on the table, and hands them out throughout the night

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Carnival is saying they think its time to increase the tip amount. It is up to you if you dont think after 10 years its deserved.

Fact: Carnival has increased the SUGGESTED tip amount that they will automatically charge your onboard account.

Archived