Help! Insurance for UK citizens booked on Caribbean cruise.

Mowbray Bear

Hello!

I have been reading through the threads but I apologise if this has already been disucussed, I just couldn't find it :confused: and I'm really hoping someone can help.

Myself and another lady, both in early 30s, are booked on a RCL cruise from New Orleans at New Year - the western caribbean itinerary, we have two days booked in New Orleans post cruise.

Both of us are UK citizens. We fly to Nola the day before - so we hopefully won't miss the ship. We have also booked a hotel at Heathrow the night before flying to the US (just in case it snows - UK aren't very good with snow)

Can anyone advise of any insurance companies which are reliable / reputable?

Will specific 'cruise insurance' cover our extra few days in New Orleans post cruise? :confused:

What types of things should we be looking for on the policy conditions?

We have No pre existing medical conditions.

This is our first cruise :D and I don't know whether to go with the cruise lines insurance or another company. The CC forum doesn't seem to rate the cruise lines policies much.

We are both medically fit but I want to make sure should anything happen to either of us that medical costs are covered.

We would also want to get home if either of our family members were ill.

We are also going to do some of the ships excursions (i know they are more expensive and crowded but we are new to cruising, and worried we wont get back to the ship before it departs), one of which is swimming with dolphins - are trips like that covered by insurance??

I have been reading (I'm not sure if this is just USA insurance plans) but if we are not both on the same policy it won't cover costs if your travel companion has to return home or is ill. Is this right? Is it going to be more sensible to take out a joint policy than 2 singles?

Sorry for all the questions - the more i think about insurance, the more confused I'm getting!

looking forward to some replies :D

Elaine

Most everything you've read on here would be based upon US Laws and restrictions or Canadian laws and restrictions.

From what little I do know is that the UK has a much more restrictive (ie better protection) regarding consumer protection laws.

I would highly recommend that you speak with a travel expert back home in the UK.

Elaine, policies for UK residents do differ from those sold to US and Canadians. You can find several sellers online for trip policies if you search "UK holiday insurance". While most of us cannot specifically address the UK policies, I am sure there are similar types of things to consider when purchasing a policy, so read the sample policy coverages carefully.

Hi Elaine,

I'm also going on a caribbean cruise and we are going to stay and drive around in the US pre and post cruise. I found a really good deal from flexicover direct...premier where it's costing for the couple joint £40.87 for a period of three weeks....it covers cruise (as it must) and the rest of the hol...including flight cancellations etc from the point you start your travel to arriving back to the uk. IT also includes cover for swimming with dolphins, jet skiing, etc all the usual stuff you'll do on the excursions but doesn't include winter sports. The excess is just £50. I used compare the market.com and lots of options came up...i found the above the best but you can choose whatever you like...just make sure you enter on the form that the insurance must cover cruise when you fill out the details online. Hope this helps.

Hi Elaine,

I'm also going on a caribbean cruise and we are going to stay and drive around in the US pre and post cruise. I found a really good deal from flexicover direct...premier where it's costing for the couple joint £40.87 for a period of three weeks....it covers cruise (as it must) and the rest of the hol...including flight cancellations etc from the point you start your travel to arriving back to the uk. IT also includes cover for swimming with dolphins, jet skiing, etc all the usual stuff you'll do on the excursions but doesn't include winter sports. The excess is just £50. I used compare the market.com and lots of options came up...i found the above the best but you can choose whatever you like...just make sure you enter on the form that the insurance must cover cruise when you fill out the details online. Hope this helps.

Elaine:

Go to http://www.moneysupermarket.com

Click on Travel Insurance.

You will find every possible travel insurance policy marketed in the UK. Choose one that suits your specific, individual circumstances and budget.

Do make sure you choose a reputable company.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived