Discounts for Amtrak Cruise Passangers

C&THollings

Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you travel to a cruise port on Amtrak, you can get a 20% discount on your fare. You just have to call instead of book you ticket online and mention the code below.

Carnival Codes:

2011 is V555

2012 is V602

With this economy its all about saving money, I hope this help someone else.

it saved me $80.00 when I booked my tickets.

There is also codes for other cruise lines if you Google it.

Aweseom thanks we have been debating driving from Delaware to Fl. or taking a train. Airlines are so high. We also have to wait before purchasing because we don't know if our teenage son is going to pull his grades up.

So we kinda have to wait to the last minute. This will really really help.

Thanks so much!!

I just checked also. Since there's an Amtrak station in STL we would go by train through Chicago or could get a bus at 11 PM to Carbondale and switch to the train at 1:30 in the morning. That would be fun if we had the time to do it. Maybe next cruise since we already have hotel reservations for our drive. Good info for the future though.

Joyce

Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you travel to a cruise port on Amtrak, you can get a 20% discount on your fare. You just have to call instead of book you ticket online and mention the code below.

Carnival Codes:

2011 is V555

2012 is V602

With this economy its all about saving money, I hope this help someone else.

it saved me $80.00 when I booked my tickets.

There is also codes for other cruise lines if you Google it.

This is good information! Can you tell me exactly what 'words' you used to google this info? My next cruise leaves from NJ and we've thought about using the train from here in Va. I would like to get the codes for RCI. Thanks for posting useful and helpful info!:)

This is good information! Can you tell me exactly what 'words' you used to google this info? My next cruise leaves from NJ and we've thought about using the train from here in Va. I would like to get the codes for RCI. Thanks for posting useful and helpful info!:)

Amtrak has been offering this deal for many years, it was always just Carnival and HAL. In years past they had a link to this on their website, for some reason they removed it about 4 years ago, but you can still get the discount.

Recently NCL was also included. Not sure why RCI hasnt partnered up with Amtrak

Here is a link

http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/products-promotions-2011-cruise.htm

just allow PLENTY of time for the trip...even just a short run on the North East Corridor...

Amtrak has had a rough year on the long distance trains...with all sorts of things..avalanches, floods, derailments, etc...not to mention many trespasser fatalities...

not trying to scare people away from the railroad..i LOVE it.....but to plan on even a short trip from DC to NY Penn, and NOT allow several extra hours, is bad.

this past year i took a number of Long Distance trips...i was bussed-twice-for 9 hours, once for 5 and stuck on a track about 100 yards from MetroPark station-on the train-for a couple hours til another one picked us up.......

that said, i LOVE the train..(in a sleeper on long trips..;)) but you have to have plenty of time .....everyone should take 1 LONG trip on a train at least once in life....

the train from dallas goes to florida by way of chicago, takes 3 days, never mind the fare was considerably over $200. Unless you are coming down the east coast ... forgetaboutit.

Very true, but you could take the train from Dallas to San Antonio and from there on to New Orleans. The train station is about a mile from the cruise terminal. It's still easier to drive or fly Southwest but at least it is an option.

LOVE to hear more on Amtrak. I have looked at their site but it is pretty confusing and would really like to talk to someone who has traveled by train before. There are not many here in Texas but we have good routes to California. Any tips would be appreciated to make it easier - their site is just confusing to me. :confused: Debbie

LOVE to hear more on Amtrak. I have looked at their site but it is pretty confusing and would really like to talk to someone who has traveled by train before. There are not many here in Texas but we have good routes to California. Any tips would be appreciated to make it easier - their site is just confusing to me. :confused: Debbie

This is a great site...think of it as a cruise critic for rail fans :)

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

Also it might help to order or pick up a brochure/timetable

Very true, but you could take the train from Dallas to San Antonio and from there on to New Orleans. The train station is about a mile from the cruise terminal. It's still easier to drive or fly Southwest but at least it is an option.

and from new orleans to where??

I was talking about getting to florida, ...tampa specifically is where I was going when I priced it. so you want me to find another route, from dallas to san antonio to new orleans to florida you are saying?

If I was just going to new Orleans, Id just drive :rolleyes:

If you live in texas to me its a case of you cant get there from here .. at least not so its worth while. It costs as much as flying and doesnt really go where you want from texas, at least to me.

thats why I posted this is a better alternative only if you live on the east coast and can take it straight down to florida.

try and price out a route from texas to florida .. and look at the time it takes to reach there. and then price out how much extra for a sleeper car.

FireFly - to Florida I understand what you are saying :o BUT I am looking at it to California and/or Seattle. :D From Houston these routes were quick and actually have incredible scenery you can't get when driving on the freeway. The rail tracks actually go by the shore in California which is not visable from the freeway. From Houston yes the Florida is not a real option but to the West coast or even up to NJ would be a good option if you have time to add it as part of your vacation not just a way to get the cruise... :)

SouthernCaribbean44 - THANK YOU! I will check that out. Just what I needed. I have spent a lot of time on Amtrak site but as confusing as it seems I haven't booked it. I want to get hubby on a train as I grew up on the East coast where trains are more a way of life. Thanks again! :)

Hurricane Katrina took care of the Amtrak route that use to allow full transit from Texas across the Florida panhandle to JAX and then southwards. It destroyed the tracks and bridges used by the Sunset Limited. Amtrak apparently is in no rush to restore full service past New Orleans eastbound.

I've taken Amtrak cross-country to board cruise ships before but it is best advised to allow a couple of days on the destination end for delays or train issues. Too many times in bad weather they will cease service somewhere in the middle of nowhere with 'No further transportation provided'. Then you are stuck.

I'm taking Amtrak this year post-cruise MIA-TPA but flying on either end, into MIA and back out of TPA to West Virginia.

Rail travel is a great adventure if you're in no big hurry.

and from new orleans to where??

I was talking about getting to florida, ...tampa specifically is where I was going when I priced it. so you want me to find another route, from dallas to san antonio to new orleans to florida you are saying?

If I was just going to new Orleans, Id just drive :rolleyes:

The Conquest and the Norwegian Spirit sail out of New Orleans, it's a great port city. It's really the only port city you can get to via Amtrak in a reasonable amount of time. Heck other than San Antonio or Oklahoma City Amtrak is basically useless in Texas. SWA flies anywhere they go for a less money and obviously is a whole lot faster.

I still choose to drive but it'd be nice to have other options.

This is the site I found the code for both years on.

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

We are looking at this as an adventure. It will only take about 3 hours more than driving from Champaign Illinois to New Orleans, maybe less if you count stopping to eat.

I just want to share my finding if they help anyone save money, that is more money to spend while on the cruise :)

We have done it but only from Albany down to NYC. A quick 3 hour train ride is fine anything more and I might loose my mind. We did it when we went on NCL and it was great.

I'm surprised you don't take the Yankee Trails bus to NYC from Rensaleer ....we've done it twice and it was great!

A friend and I used Amtrak on returning part home from our cruise last April on the Triumph (we work for an airline and flew down).

While we didn't use the Carnival discount, we used our AAA and still got a discount. We purchased a roomette and the total cost for two people and the roomette from New Orleans to Memphis was around $148

We were on the City of New Orleans.

There were quite a few cruisers that were also on board. Alot of people from Memphis and Chicago and points along the way.

Now, it's unless you are getting off somewhere in Mississippi like Jackson, the ride is a long one. Ours was an eight hour ride.

The pros that I loved about the train ride

You could check up to three bags free!!

There is no three oz rule!!(there were alot of cruisers with liquor!)

It was a nice way to relax and meet others

The service was good.

While eating dinner (if you purchase a cabin, the cost of a meal is included and this was a value) we ate with a lady from right outside Chicago. She stated that sailing out of New Orleans was the best choice for cruising (for her). She could get a round trip ticket for under $200 and not deal with the major hassles of flying.

If you are a distance away and have to catch more than one train, it can be a long trip for some. I used Amtrak to bring my nephew from Dearborn to Memphis. We had to catch two trains and a layover in Chicago. It took over 24 hours. I didn't get a roomette for this trip,but the seats were comfy and roomy. I can't see doing this more than two days however.

I also used the train getting off the ship on my Alaskan cruise to Seattle. It was also nice.

It really just depends on where you live and how long you want to travel by train.

Just compare the Carnival discount with others they offer (AAA, AARP), also the earlier you buy the ticket, the cheaper it is.

Here are a few pictures from my train ride from New Orleans.

Heading to the train from the New Orleans station

2218811550100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

One side of the roomette. We had a fold down table, plugs, and bottle water. There was a help yourself area with water and juice nearby. The seats turn into a lower bed with an upper one also.

2203031410100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a view of a family cabin. It has the double seating and another seat. It also has a bathroom inside the cabin. I just took a picture outside because someone else was in this one.

2860849160100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

This was the dining train area. The pricing of the items were average with travel food fare (like in an airport,but slightly cheaper on some items).

They seat you other travelers (unless you have a large group that can fill a table)

2999961710100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

This wonderful lady was the one of the dining room staff and really nice.

2598178060100919633S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope this helps!

My friends thought it would be fun to take the train. They said not fun after all, they would never do it again. Unless you paid extra for a sleeper car, not fun to sleep in a seat.

We took the train from Baltimore to Orlando...defintiely not fun but we saved almost $2,000 for the 4 of us by taking the train vs. flying.

My kids enjoyed the train ride- lots of kids to play with, something exciting and new for them...but for me (and my aching back) the train ride was not so fun. For us the money we saved went to something fun so it was worth it...:DAdding the sleeper car made the price more than flying but if someone can score a good deal, I would strongly suggest the sleeper car! :)

Archived