gratuity increase.....

alb1956

Just got off the phone with my PVP to prepay the gratuities before the rate increase and was told that the $11.50 per day per person is already in effect. So for two cabins and four people it came to 322.00. So December 1st deadline isn't the deadline.....it's already in effect. Wanted to pay early because I know my son can't afford it and it gives us more money to spend onboard. Just wanted to let you guys know. We cruise in April 2012.

My PVP was getting a hold of her clients oct 31st, so they could prepay.

sorry you pvp didnt do this for you.

There was also a thread here on CC stating to go prepay your tips NOW that was started later on Oct 31st.

Sorry you are just now finding out it went into effect on Nov 1st. Now its too late to prepay at the old rate. Your PVP was behind on giving out this info sounds like.

Just curious, alittle confused. When we book through a PVP, is the price that they are quoting us automatically including the grats? Or do we get an additional price?

I doubt that the PVP included the tips in your price. I know ours never has.

They don't add grats to your quote unless you tell them to. Prepaying tips is not required just a choice. So anytime you get a quote and want to know price with tips, tell them.

Thanks Becca, I was just confused, It seems like when I booked the sensation they included it, now I am glad to know beforehand, so I have the money for it.

why all the uproar? it's $1.50 per day per person people! Geez!!! (couldn't post my "view" on all the other LONG LONG LONG threads/posts on this subject, so posted it on this one:))

To me $ 1 of the increase is going to people who are salaried and should not be tipped. When was the last time you tipped the people behind the front desk at a hotel?

They don't add grats to your quote unless you tell them to. Prepaying tips is not required just a choice. So anytime you get a quote and want to know price with tips, tell them.

Good to see another Raleigh-Durham cruiser here....have fun on your next cruise!

To me $ 1 of the increase is going to people who are salaried and should not be tipped. When was the last time you tipped the people behind the front desk at a hotel?

Do you tip the bellhop for bringing your bags to your room? They don't have bellhops on the ship, who delivers your bags to your cabin? It isn't the stewards, they are busy getting your cabin ready. As I've said there isn't enough room onboard ship for every person to have only one job- every front line employee has their main job and at least one side job (such as moving luggage around on embark/debark day). The $2 is used to help compensate them for their extra labor. It may not be the fairest way of compensating employees but it's the method used.

I am going on the Pride next year. According to CCL's website she carries 2134 passengers and 930 crew. So at $2 a day that's $29876 for a 7 day cruise. If that were to be split among all of the crew it would be $32 for the week. What a big treasure trove for the crew:rolleyes:.

Lots and lots and lots (should I say Way too Many) threads on this subject.

The increase went into effect Nov. 1st for cruises after Dec. 1st. So if you are sailing Dec. 1st or after and wanted to prepay gratuities Nov. 1st or after, you will be charged the $11.50.

WOW.....you should work for Carnival.....or do you??? What a "holier than thou" attitude......you can be nicer and just give the reply as obviously the previous threads were all evasive and the OP did not know as much as YOU!!

Geeze...........I wasn't bitching about the increase I just wanted to let everybody know the increase is already in effect. With the gratuities paid I can tip the crew extra if I want. Don't get your panties in a wad!!!

It's just not enough money to be concerned about. $1.50 per day. For a week. This is more ridiculous than the shrimp cocktail uproar.

if you were on the receiving end, it's about $650,000. chump change, right?

and 2/3rds of it will go to full salaried non service people that are neither your room steward nor dining room waiters.

still pleased?

if you were on the receiving end, it's about $650,000. chump change, right?

and 2/3rds of it will go to full salaried non service people that are neither your room steward nor dining room waiters.

still pleased?

As I said before it amounts to $32 per week if paid out equally to each and every crewmember on board (on the Pride, on the Dream it is a whopping $34), but I for one don't believe it's being distributed to every single crew member (and if someone is helping to move the luggage to the rooms then they become "service people", regardless of what their full time position is).

As I said before it amounts to $32 per week if paid out equally to each and every crewmember on board (on the Pride, on the Dream it is a whopping $34), but I for one don't believe it's being distributed to every single crew member (and if someone is helping to move the luggage to the rooms then they become "service people", regardless of what their full time position is).

are they going to reduce their pay to $50 a month?

what's the increase for the people that do get paid allegedly $50 a month, the ones who break their backs for you personally the entire week?

I am more concerned for the OP's son for whom apparently $10.50 is the tipping point to send him into poverty. Anyone who has difficulty coming up with an extra 10 spot probably should be back home figuring out how to have fun and save money at home.:rolleyes:

I've no doubt the people delivering are wait staff and thus already service people.

Just got off the phone with my PVP to prepay the gratuities before the rate increase and was told that the $11.50 per day per person is already in effect. So for two cabins and four people it came to 322.00. So December 1st deadline isn't the deadline.....it's already in effect. Wanted to pay early because I know my son can't afford it and it gives us more money to spend onboard. Just wanted to let you guys know. We cruise in April 2012.

By my calculations its a seven day cruise. So, thats an extra $10.5 per person. Sweetheart, if your budget, or your sons, doesnt stretch to an extra $10.50 pp, then you seriously have to ask yourself can you afford the cruise at all! Talk about living on the edge!:confused:

I am more concerned for the OP's son for whom apparently $10.50 is the tipping point to send him into poverty. Anyone who has difficulty coming up with an extra 10 spot probably should be back home figuring out how to have fun and save money at home.:rolleyes:

Great minds think alike :D

C'mon that's half a bucket of beer ... the horrah!

Archived