Why is CCL making it hard to tip?

cruisecruisecruise2011Quote:

Originally Posted by lillian marie viewpost.gif

The auto tips are simply service charges, not true tips for service. Just pay them if you want to cruise and consider this fee as a cruise cost.

I agree with you 100% so lets agree that we should not adjust them down in anyway, and the crew should get every penny whether in cash or autotip.

cruisecruisecruise2011Quote:

The auto tips are simply service charges, not true tips for service. Just pay them if you want to cruise and consider this fee as a cruise cost.

I agree with you 100% so lets agree that we should not adjust them down in anyway, and the crew should get every penny whether in cash or autotip.

Quote:

To equate what has happened here,its like going into an establishment in a tourist area where an 18% tip is auto added ,you order the lobster:eek: and a minute before they bring it out to you,you are informed that the gratuity portion if your check has gone up another 15%. Hows your lobster now?

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Tips are tips, even if the are "auto tips"! We have cruised over 20 times and have adjusted tips on three (3) of those cruises. Terrible cabin service does not deserve to be rewarded. Terrible dining service does not deserve to be rewarded. We have never lowered the overall amount, but have moved it to another area where it was deserved.

Two of the adjustments came after we received really bad cabin service. (We really are not all that picky, so you can be assured it was really bad.) The amount we withheld from the cabin steward went to the excellent waiter in the dining room! The reverse was true on the third adjustment. Great cabin service and poor dining room waiters.

If you reward poor service, even the good employees will eventually see that the extra work is not rewarded and the overall quality of cruises will drop. Telling people to not adjust tips downward is wrong. Tipping an amount in excess of the "auto" amount is fine and we do that more often than not.:)

When ever anyone wants to tip in cash I always read a reply that states if you remove the autotip,the behind the scenes people lose out.

Well if the autotip is for MY convenience,then why is it so inconvenient to tip the behind the scenes people?

I am free to tip in cash,but with the new tipping,who exactly does it go to and what percentage.

Yawn.... Here we go again... Let's face it auto tips is not a TIP!!! It's a salary surcharge, plain and simple. I say just increase the price of the cruise by the suggested amount per day, and leave it up to me who gets a true tip or not -- and how much!

We recently sailed on the Diamond Princess for 29 days and a good deal of the service was terrible. On Lido it was feast or famine. You either had to remove you dishes yourself or they tried to pick it up before you were finished. We rarely ate in the Dining room. Our cabin steward was fabulous.After much discussion we decided to remove most of the tip money and use cash. We gave our cabin steward more than suggested and the last couple of days we walked around with $5's and 10's and tipped those who gave us good service. The policy on that ship states the tipping will be distributed fleet wide. When we asked what this meant we got several answers as did several others who were confused. Seems like instead of tipping we are paying their salary and that is not tipping. I wonder does the cruise line take deductions before giving it to them. If they get cash it is between you and them. Cruise lines seemed to have gone to tipping when they went to anytime dining. With traditional dining it was easy to use the envelopes but not so with anytime and I along with several others think service has gone down because now "they will get their tip anyway". We have two 30+ day cruises next year and will initially do the auto tipping but we are not afraid to change it depending on the service.

How true.

Anyway, auto tips are on a charged daily basis, not all at once up front.

I agree. Before auto tipping we always got great service from everyone. Now most of the time minimal service. I tip when someone goes beyond the minimum required not for being ignored in dining room, not getting what was ordered, ect Room stewart forgetting ice, towels, TP, room not dusted, ect. Not just one time or one cruise.

Why not just increase the fare by the amount charged for auto tipping? I would rather do that than have auto tipping for mediocre service. I've always thought tipping was to show appreciation for service above and beyond not just doing the minimum job that they are paid for.

• 1 month later...
When ever anyone wants to tip in cash I always read a reply that states if you remove the autotip,the behind the scenes people lose out.

Well if the autotip is for MY convenience,then why is it so inconvenient to tip the behind the scenes people?

I am free to tip in cash,but with the new tipping,who exactly does it go to and what percentage.

what behind the scenes people???? :confused::rolleyes::confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Why do you worry about it? Don't you think the cruise line actually knows how to distribute gratuities so everyone gets a fair share? At restaurants to you take it upon yourself to override their system and extend gratuities to the bus boy, dishwasher and server? They came up with the split to be fair to everyone and make it easier on the guest. Go with it.

well, what is everyone's fair share? no, i do not believe the cruise line knows. what if i had someone who went out of there way to deserve a tip, and then another person who did absolutely nothing and deserves nothing. how's that fair to the people that picked up the slack?

If you guys are so worried about the gratuities and where they go I can recommend a line that does not allow tipping and where the crew will not accept them from you even if you try. Rates start at about $700 per person per day.

Sounds like a hell of a cruise. Sorry, I just had to comment on something after reading this whole thread.

Hah, me rude ha!! No people who adjust or remove tips are rude. Give me a break!! Want to pay them in cash huh? Why exactly, if you want to give then give more with a cash tip. Puuhhllease. It should not be allowed. Bloody, I'm not bloody:eek:

Without stirring up a crock of S%^$...I will tell you we are going to adjust. We are going with a party of 8. 6 of those being kids, who probably won't even use the dining room...where $7.00 of that daily $10 goes. I am all for tipping when a service is being used. We always take off the tipping and at the end, handsomely reward our steward. I guarantee they are getting more from us then Carnival would give them. Like someone else said, you don't walk into a restaurant or any place where service is given and tip first. And no, I am not "bloody" cheap. @@

I can honestly say I did not read all 8 pages of this thread, so I apologize if I duplicate something. The only thing I will say is that even if you aren't using the Main Dining Room, the servers in there are also the same ones who spend the rest of the day cleaning and helping on the Lido buffet and general areas. I am not criticizing, but keep in mind that these are also the people who clean up after the kids and the messes that most people leave behind in the lido buffet, and keep the tables clear so the families have a place to sit down. These people are usually running their tails off up there trying to keep everything neat and tidy. Considering that they get very little salary, tips are pretty much their ONLY source of income. Feel free to adjust as you like, just please make sure not to leave them out of the picture totally. I figure that if I have the money to take the cruise, it is not gonna set me back that much more to give these hard working people their fair share of the earnings.

Without stirring up a crock of S%^$...I will tell you we are going to adjust. We are going with a party of 8. 6 of those being kids, who probably won't even use the dining room...where $7.00 of that daily $10 goes. I am all for tipping when a service is being used. We always take off the tipping and at the end, handsomely reward our steward. I guarantee they are getting more from us then Carnival would give them. Like someone else said, you don't walk into a restaurant or any place where service is given and tip first. And no, I am not "bloody" cheap. @@

So, is it safe to say those 6 children will not be eating at all during your cruise??? Please rethink what you are choosing to do .... those kids will be eating somewhere and there are people employed to clean up after those kids and prepare the food those kids will be eating.

The room steward is only ONE person doing things for you and your kids for the duration of your cruise.

Archived