Why is CCL making it hard to tip?

Just as you use fear to keep people from tipping all of those full salaried employees, right;)? If the company was pocketing any of this then we would be in complete agreement. That CCL has or is now deciding to augment the salaries of some of their employees is between them and their employees. As long as you come on here talking about full salaried employees who don't deserve to be tipped I will come on saying that said employees are receiving extra pay for work being performed outside of their job specialty, such as moving luggage around (something most agree is worthy of a tip).

full disclosure: what i type is my opinion. what i type is what i will do.

if what i type scares you into doing anything, i beg you to stop reading, and or block me.

When ever anyone wants to tip in cash I always read a reply that states if you remove the autotip,the behind the scenes people lose out.

Well if the autotip is for MY convenience,then why is it so inconvenient to tip the behind the scenes people?

I am free to tip in cash,but with the new tipping,who exactly does it go to and what percentage.

Well it is for MY convenience. I prefer the auto tips. I don't really care who gets the extra $1.50. It is so irrelevant to the total cost of my vacation. If CCL would have added this to the base price, no one would have even noticed. I'm pretty sure it was for tax reasons that it got added into the tip pool. I don't care why and I don't care who gets it. It's $1.50 pp/pd...get over it. I don't really understand the whole uproar over something so petty and so insignificant.

I will keep my autopays on. It is convenient for me...I hated the envelope system. I don't really care what anyone else does...I just hope that they don't use this as a reason to not pay them at all...that is inexcusable.

When ever anyone wants to tip in cash I always read a reply that states if you remove the autotip,the behind the scenes people lose out.

Well if the autotip is for MY convenience,then why is it so inconvenient to tip the behind the scenes people?

I am free to tip in cash,but with the new tipping,who exactly does it go to and what percentage.

The convenience part is that they add it to your sail and sign account so no need to hassle with cash and envelopes. Pretty convenient if you ask me. Done deal out of sight out of mind.....time to enjoy vacation. As far as who the extra buck fifty goes to I couldn't care less.......I couldn't even tell you what the breakdown was before.

The constant whining is so childish.

Well it is for MY convenience. I prefer the auto tips. I don't really care who gets the extra $1.50. It is so irrelevant to the total cost of my vacation. If CCL would have added this to the base price, no one would have even noticed. I'm pretty sure it was for tax reasons that it got added into the tip pool. I don't care why and I don't care who gets it. It's $1.50 pp/pd...get over it. I don't really understand the whole uproar over something so petty and so insignificant.

I will keep my autopays on. It is convenient for me...I hated the envelope system. I don't really care what anyone else does...I just hope that they don't use this as a reason to not pay them at all...that is inexcusable.

we spend hours at our monday meetings trying to figure out how we can get more customers like you!

There is an unbelievably simple answer to all this crap... Just change the name to a service charge. Make it so you can't remove it. If you want to tip, go ahead. If you don't want to tip, you don't have to (because you already had). They could do this or just raise fares.

There now everyone is happy.

There is an unbelievably simple answer to all this crap... Just change the name to a service charge. Make it so you can't remove it. If you want to tip, go ahead. If you don't want to tip, you don't have to (because you already had). They could do this or just raise fares.

It can't be any easier the way it is......leave it alone.....

Probably wouldn't solve all that much, NCL uses a daily service charge model and threads regarding the topic on that board can be just as heated.

Remember to run through the Galley handing out cash to all the people working the food lines back there. ;)

I can't think of anything easier than NOT HAVING to hand out cash to behind the scenes employees. I like the service charge/tip model. Now, if people weren't so unaccustomed to tipping in other cultures this might be a non-issue, but people are cheap and looking to save a buck here and there, so this way everyone is treated fairly and if you feel you want to give more to a particular crew member it is completely acceptable.

CCL gave full disclosure of how they tips would be distributed - not sneaking in. you assume that the others are full salaried - you do not know this nor do I know they are not. We are are privledged to see CCL's payroll books.

You are very negative about this policy, and you have a right to your opinion, but attempts to change others is somewhat futile.

I would prefer CCL charge more and go back to serving better food, but that is a different topic.

If this bothers people so much, go on another cruiseline. Losing business is not what the cruiselines want. If enough people do this, CCL would notice. If it is a small number, it will not influence CCL.

No they did not.Who exactly is getting it and how much would be full disclosure.

We know the Waiter,assistant waiter,and the room steward. As long as John H avoids the answer, I assume there is something they don't want everyone to know.

If John H can find out every detail of almost anything and the cruiseline already has their numbers down,give them to us!

I want to know if the Maitre'd is getting another slice.He is salaried,yet they eliminated envelopes for my convenience,yet they put an envelope for the salaried maitre'd in my cabin???:confused::confused:

What is wrong with that?

WHAT?!

Did you ever cruise when it was cash and envelopes??? It was the most inconvenient and painful thing of the entire cruise! It was a logistical nightmare. I don't know about you, but these days, very few people carry lots of cash on them when they travel.

Careful what you wish for! Cash tipping is gone for a reason!

Yes started back in 1981.

I carry enough cash for 2 round trip air tickets and then some out of anywhere I travel to.

I don't see how hard it was to put some money in an envelope.What is the painful thing?:confused:

Pull wad out,put into envelope,hand to recipient.

If you can afford to cruise you must have money right?:D

I totally agree. Standing in line at guest services to get bills changed so that we could fill the envelopes wasted much valuable vacation time. We prepay the gratuities and consider it as part of the cost of the cruise and then give extra cash to those who deserve more.

Exactly how we handle it. But I still think the auto-tips should be called "service charges" and made mandatory to deal with cheapskates. Folks like us who enjoy extending a true gratuity in cash are still free to do so.

Exactly how we handle it. But I still think the auto-tips should be called "service charges" and made mandatory to deal with cheapskates. Folks like us who enjoy extending a true gratuity in cash are still free to do so.

Why should it cost us more for people that don't tip. Service charges are just that. We would still be expected to tip. So we that do tip would be tipping double.........leave it the way it is and be done with it.

we spend hours at our monday meetings trying to figure out how we can get more customers like you!

LOL...nobody is going to get what you mean here..but you know that I do!!!!

I just timed my kid's tennis instructor....he has an interesting way of turning 60 minutes into a 45 minute lesson..I am requesting someone different in the Spring...and will tell the Tennis director exactly why....very nicely of course so I look like the good guy. LOL

Actually, if you check your sign and sail bill on the first day the tips are already listed. If you prepaid, there are two lines. Once to charge them, the second to show them paid already. If you have prepaid them, you can not remove them.

Not true. You can always remove gratuities or adjust them whether they are prepaid or not.

It's no different than going to eat at a restaurant. You don't decide what percentage of the tip you give goes to the busboy and food runners. You pay ONE tip which later gets divided.

You tip the waiter, right? Then, the waiter tips the busboy and food runners. Can you imagine if each person visiting a restaurant said "I want to tip each person individually, I don't want to give the entire tip to the waiter. I'm giving the waiter less, and then I'm going to tip the busboy directly, and the food runner directly".

This whole "remove the auto tips, I want to tip cash" makes for a clusterf$#%, and although I'm sure that there are people out there who legitimately want to tip more, I have a feeling that most people that complain about the auto tips are the same people that go to a restaurant and tip $2 on a $100 check.

Well said, Tapi. I think you hit the nail on the head.

For me, auto tip is the only way to go. I generally tip the wait staff and cabin steward extra at the end of the cruise and that is just a little something more for the amazing service that I got for the week. They truly do appreciate it!

Leave the auto tips and let the bean counters on the ship make sure everyone who should get tipped gets it!

Some people worry about saving their pennies so they can blow their dollars. I worry about where I spend my dollars and don't waste my time worrying about the pennies. To me this is a trivial matter over $1.50 that, in the bigger scheme of things, isn't worth all the over blown hype created by a few paranoid posters on a conspiracy hunt.

Envelopes sucked. Besides how much paper was being wasted? A ship of 3000 people or about 1500 tippers. One envelope for the steward, one for the waiter, one for the bus boy, one for him, one for her. I mean really - simplify.

Your kidding right?

Lets see 3000 people for a 7 day cruise using autotip creates less paper waste? Each person will have a line item on the weekly bill.Each steward,waiter,and assistant waiter will receive pages of accounting on their behalf.The non tippers list takes up more paper,the credit card transactions alone between the cruiseline charge to your paper statement to the accounting department of CCL to each floor supervisor and head housekeeping and head waiters and the paper trail goes on and on like this sentance.

Cash in envelope,no other paper trail!

Archived