Why is CCL making it hard to tip?

Spamming an internet message board is sure to get CCL's attention for sure;).

Nobody spammed here ;-) Spamming isn't complaining, or cheerleading, or debating, or even just posting nonsensical crap- spamming is when you try to sell a product or service by placing links or ads in posts and emails.

This is a discussion board. The original poster wanted to discuss. Will he get any solutions just by posting here? Probably not! Who cares? Disagree, debate whatever- cool. But it's just silly to suggest the only thing anyone can ever do if they dislike a policy is not use that carrier.

Nobody spammed here ;-) Spamming isn't complaining, or cheerleading, or debating, or even just posting nonsensical crap- spamming is when you try to sell a product or service by placing links or ads in posts and emails.

This is a discussion board. The original poster wanted to discuss. Will he get any solutions just by posting here? Probably not! Who cares? Disagree, debate whatever- cool. But it's just silly to suggest the only thing anyone can ever do if they dislike a policy is not use that carrier.

Starting 7 threads in a few days time on the same subject in order to stir up trouble sure sounds like spamming to me:). But I could be using the wrong internet term, my kids do say that I'm clueless when it comes to that type of thing;).

certain service employees may indeed be paid less then minimum wage BUT if they do not receive enough in tips to average at least minimum wage then the employer is required to make up the difference.

where do you make this stuff up from???? :eek:

where do you make this stuff up from???? :eek:

*chuckle* can't make this stuff up, Congress does:cool:. From the DOL website:

"What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits."

Some states do mandate the payment of full minimum wage to tipped employees (Oregon is one, there are 3 others I believe).

*chuckle* can't make this stuff up, Congress does:cool:. From the DOL website:

"What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Some states have minimum wage laws specific to tipped employees. When an employee is subject to both the federal and state wage laws, the employee is entitled to the provisions which provides the greater benefits."

Some states do mandate the payment of full minimum wage to tipped employees (Oregon is one, there are 3 others I believe).

Small flaw in this theory. This is American law and these ships are not bound by it :D

This guy posts way too much stuff that causes drama... I personally think tipping is supposed to be a reward for exceptional service. Not a requirement. If they want to pay their employees more, I would want them to put that price into the fare of the cruise, and allow tipping to remain voluntary and for exceptional service.

I noticed that unless we were tipping cash on top of our already automatic tips, then I was not getting exceptional service, only mediocre at best.

Serious? We have always received great service with just leaving the auto tip on.......

He's old. Probably wandering around somewhere trying to remember where he left this thread. :p

I can relate, I've done that a time or two myself;) (now where did I put the dog, he was right here a minute ago, it's not like he could just get up and wal...ooops, never mind:cool:).

I know the Steward,Waiter,and assistant amounts.What are the others since I don't want the Convenience.

Princess started the auto-tip at about the same time that they introduced anytime dining. With anytime dining, you are likely to have a different waiter and assistant waiter at each meal.

Do you really want to carry cash to every meal so you can tip that waiter and assistant waiter who may not be serving you again at another meal?

I have been on 28 cruises in the last 7 years and everytime I discuss tips with the waiters they tell me that whenever people tip them in cash it's almost always half the ususal tips that we all give. Also, if you tip in cash you just screwed the other personel unless they turn it in.

I have been on 28 cruises in the last 7 years and everytime I discuss tips with the waiters they tell me that whenever people tip them in cash it's almost always half the ususal tips that we all give. Also, if you tip in cash you just screwed the other personel unless they turn it in.

even when cash was the only way you could tip?

and being most other mass lines are cash, i find that hard to believe.

While I did leave my auto tips on and also tipped extra, I find a flaw in the whole "the employees get in trouble for people removing auto tips." If I removed my auto tip as soon as I got on board before I knew who my waiters were or my cabin steward was how would that hurt them with the company? Can't the computer show when I removed my tips? If I have anytime dining and removed my tips at the beginning of my cruise, how could that hurt someone? It just does not fly.

Where did you get this information that removing auto tips will somehow affect the employees records?? (Playing a bit of Devil's Advocate here!)

They need to call it what it is, which is a "Service Charge".

Personally I like it as I know how much its going to cost me. If I want to add more, then I just put in additional cash. I assume that I will get at least a minimum level of service, and I always have received exactly what I was supposed to on a cruise.

If I can afford to cruise, I can afford to pay the Service Charge.

I don't have time to go below deck, the kitchen, the laundry room, and all the other places I would need to give a tip to all the people who served me that are hidden away some where. I've only been on a few cruises, and all of them were enjoyable and almost always received excellent service. I know tipping is somewhat personal, but I believe the cruise lines are doing a good job. That is why I look forward to my next cruise.

I don't have time to go below deck, the kitchen, the laundry room, and all the other places I would need to give a tip to all the people who served me that are hidden away some where. I've only been on a few cruises, and all of them were enjoyable and almost always received excellent service. I know tipping is somewhat personal, but I believe the cruise lines are doing a good job. That is why I look forward to my next cruise.

what do you think your fare went toward? paying those people as well.

I agree!

My daughter is a CCL crew member, so from someone who works there, this is how it works: tips are divided between several people -- your cabin stewards and dining room waiters. Yes, they get 100% of the money. If passengers remove the automatic gratuity, crew members who are involved are questioned by management as to why the gratuity was removed. So even if you pay your gratuity in cash, you are not really doing the staff a favor by removing the gratuity.

If you assume that the $11.50 is being divided by 4 people, each person gets less than $3 per day per person. So I always tip extra in cash and never remove the automatic gratuity.

My daughter is a CCL crew member, so from someone who works there, this is how it works: tips are divided between several people -- your cabin stewards and dining room waiters. Yes, they get 100% of the money. If passengers remove the automatic gratuity, crew members who are involved are questioned by management as to why the gratuity was removed. So even if you pay your gratuity in cash, you are not really doing the staff a favor by removing the gratuity.

If you assume that the $11.50 is being divided by 4 people, each person gets less than $3 per day per person. So I always tip extra in cash and never remove the automatic gratuity.

when i remove my tips, they will be informed as to why i am removing them.

not sure why they would pursue it further if they have the information firsthand.

another scare tactic.

Remove all tips

make the staff work for their tips

find every little thing to complain about

be vocal - let the whole cruise know your dissatisfaction.

Bxxxh at the front desk every day - now I can tip less

yell at the servers to move faster - remind them that you are on a cruise

order 3 appetizers, 2 soups, 3 entrees and 2 desserts. eat half and waste the rest. complain that you had to wait at least 5 minutes for the seconds, thirds, etc to appear. - this means you can tip less.

use all your towels each night - get your money's worth, the stewart does work that hard - you don't need a clean room

I'll give them cash - if I see them. ate in the lido the last night, didn't get to see the waiter. didn't see the stewart either, I guess they don't want a tip. next time, I'll give extra - if i see them.

hey - cruising isn't expensive after all

Archived