Walk off debarkation but with a twist

srphnx

We always use walk off debarkation and understand it quite well, this next cruise we are traveling with another couple one of whom uses a rascal type scooter.

I seem to recall (nearly positive) that walk off means just that and that the wheeled pax are handled differently.

Does anyone have any experience with how Princess handles those who use a scooter but is still able to take all bags with them?

While we don't have a scooter, only a wheelchair, we know people who have boarded with their own scooter and disembarked with the early disembarkation. If you don't need disembarkation assistance, then you don't have to go to the wheelchair/disabled waiting area--you can just disembark as if you were ablebodied. There will not be anyone to help with bags or disembarkation, though--you have to be able to manage yourself and/or with the help of your party. Sometimes the wheelchairs have to disembark from a particular ramp/exit, depending on the port, as sometimes the regular ramp is too steep for a scooter or wheelchair. If that is the case, then when you get to the regular exit, you may be directed to another exit, possibly on a different floor. I don't know whether or not you would be able to get this information in advance from guest services--so many of them are clueless. Just be prepared for that possibility.

Self-disembarkation means that you must be able to handle all of your luggage **without** assistance of any kind. Staff is unable to assist you. I have a hard time understanding how someone on a scooter can handle luggage, carry-on and still maneuver it safely among all of the other people doing self-disembarkation. The gangway can sometimes be a challenge, even by mobile, able-bodied people. If someone traveling with them assists, they'd have to handle their own plus the other person's luggage.

I'd strongly suggest regular, but early, disembarkation. It might take a minute or two longer but there is less of a chance of problems.

He will not need any assistance, in this case the term handi-capable isn't just something that sounds nice. His wife takes their single large rolling bag and he takes a small one on the bed of the rascal between his legs. I have seen him work like this for years traveling the US as a vendor at art shows. We were just concerned there might be a specific walk only provision.

It would not be a "minute or two longer", we are driving from the pier so no air means a much lower priority debarking group and at least 2-3 hours longer to get off the ship.

Self-disembarkation means that you must be able to handle all of your luggage **without** assistance of any kind. Staff is unable to assist you. I have a hard time understanding how someone on a scooter can handle luggage, carry-on and still maneuver it safely among all of the other people doing self-disembarkation. The gangway can sometimes be a challenge, even by mobile, able-bodied people. If someone traveling with them assists, they'd have to handle their own plus the other person's luggage.

I'd strongly suggest regular, but early, disembarkation. It might take a minute or two longer but there is less of a chance of problems.

It would not be a "minute or two longer", we are driving from the pier so no air means a much lower priority debarking group and at least 2-3 hours longer to get off the ship.

Even without air, you can request an early disembarkation time.

Yes you can request it but they will prioritize those with flights to catch first.

As I recall the description of the debarkation groups goes something like this.

Walk offs

Post cruise tours

Princess air before 11

Private air before 11

Princess air before 2

Private air before 2

etc... etc..

Those with their own transportation always near the bottom.

Walk offs are not necessarily first. The first group of walk-offs is the earliest but on every Princess cruise I've taken, the 2nd and 3rd groups have been interspersed with regular, early disembarkation groups. I'd have to look at the schedule from last January to confirm.

Whether you're walk-off or self-disembarkation, priority is given to those with early flights, which is only fair.

The walk offs are always first for one simple reason, the red 1 tags have luggage that needs to come ashore and get set out for them to pick up.

This takes a while and Princess is just making good use of the time while the luggage handlers get set up for the first wave of those debarking who put bags out the night before.

That is what I recalled reading (and why I started this thread) does it also state the earliest they can debark?

I'm currently on the Sapphire Princess and according to their disembarking Questionnaire (where you request walk off), they state very clearly that passengers in scooters, wheelchairs, etc are not eligible for early walk off.

That is what I recalled reading (and why I started this thread) does it also state the earliest they can debark?

It will probably vary based upon how many passengers must get off the ship early. Your best bet is to talk to someone at the Purser's desk and inform them of your needs. They really do try to give you exactly what you request. It's not very often they will flat out refuse.

I think that is the only way you will get the correct answer to your question.

Archived