Reidel Wine Workshop

pal4404

I purchased several sets when I was on Century, due to poor packaging by the company, several came broken, 3 years and I am still waiting for replacements, apparently the rep in US is a guy working out of the trunk of his car..I hope they read this...rip off

My wife and I LOVED the Riedel Wine Workshop on our Solstice Mediterranean Cruise this past summer. The tasting was really enjoyable, great wines, and the stemware delivered promptly and in great condition. We've been enjoying the stemware every evening!

Just returned from Solstice and took part in Riedel Workshop. I have participated in Riedel workshop in Helsinki and have to say that Celebrity's isn't worth the money.

Presentation wasn't very good and they used wrong glasses for tasting. All our wines were from new world and then right glass in Vinum XL (not Vinum). Wines weren't so special either on tasting so money wen't down the drain.

However premium wine tasting was superb and worth 40$.

We were on a 5 day cruise on the Century about 4 years ago, and took the Reidel seminar, complete with the glasses, which were shipped to us after the cruise. First I should tell you that we are wine collectors, and have about 1,000 bottle in our cellar. More than I would ever drink in my lifetime, but so be it. I have to say that I have been talking about this seminar, and how it made us appreciate how different wines taste depending on the glass, ever since. The cost of the class, even without the glasses, was worth the $60 it was back then just for the education we got. As mentioned, we were instructed to pour the wine from glass to glass, including into the "joker" glass, which was a cheap wine glass with a rounded edge, to see how different it tasted. One thing I did learn is that Pinot Noir tastes great when in the right glass. It is a wine that everyone always talked about, but I always found very thin.

As far as Reidel glasses in Bed, Bath and Beyond go, Reidel makes various qualities of glasses, and the ones from there, or the ones you can pick up at TJ Maxx or Home Goods, are not the same as the quality of what you get from this tasting.

We were on a 5 day cruise on the Century about 4 years ago, and took the Reidel seminar, complete with the glasses, which were shipped to us after the cruise. First I should tell you that we are wine collectors, and have about 1,000 bottle in our cellar. More than I would ever drink in my lifetime, but so be it. I have to say that I have been talking about this seminar, and how it made us appreciate how different wines taste depending on the glass, ever since. The cost of the class, even without the glasses, was worth the $60 it was back then just for the education we got. As mentioned, we were instructed to pour the wine from glass to glass, including into the "joker" glass, which was a cheap wine glass with a rounded edge, to see how different it tasted. One thing I did learn is that Pinot Noir tastes great when in the right glass. It is a wine that everyone always talked about, but I always found very thin.

As far as Riedel glasses in Bed, Bath and Beyond go, Riedel makes various qualities of glasses, and the ones from there, or the ones you can pick up at TJ Maxx or Home Goods, are not the same as the quality of what you get from this tasting.

After being so disappointed that Celebrity didn't have the glasses for sale on our Hawaii cruise last month I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and they indeed had the Vinum (not Vinum XL) in stock. I purchased them at ~$25 each in sets of 2 of the Montrachet/Chardonnay, Burgundy/Pinot Noir, and the Bordeaux/Cabernet Sauvignon. I compare the taste with regular wine glasses. Riedel Vinum truly make a huge difference.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little confused. I will be on the Eclipse next month and they are offering the Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop for $82 per person. The description tells me is a seminar to savor for different wines in their matching stemware. It doesn't mention anywhere about getting a set. Is this the same seminar as the $15 one? There is a huge difference between $15 and $82.

Thanks

Looking for information from anyone who has participated in this event. We will be on the Eclipse Christmas week and are considering registering. However it is unclear as it says $15.00 and up but to register is only the $15.00 plus tax and grats. Is there an additional charge once you meet with the sommelier

My husband, 2 friends and myself took this event while on the Silhouette in November. It is amazing to find out that the shape of the wine glass alters the taste so much. If you are a skeptic about this fact, take the course. We all thought it was well worth the money.

We paid 85$ for this workshop for our upcoming cruise. Shall we rebook at 15$ as it is obvious we won't get the glasses.

We just attended the workshop. We signed up while on board and paid $15 plus 15% gratuity. I don't see any reason to sign up before sailing.

The higher price use to include a set of glasses. Now you have the option of buying them. The prices of the glasses were about $80 over and above the $15. I think they get more people attending by charging only $15 instead of putting out $85 for glasses that you may not believe in or feel necessary to have.

If you look at the Riedel website you will see that there are different grades of glasses. Those at BB&Y, Target and Williams and Sonoma will say on their boxes that they are made especially for that company. Those glasses are not the same quality as those sold on X. You will also see a link on the website about the workshop and partnership with X.

Celebrity uses the Vinum series of glasses - and that's what you get to take / ship home when you sign up. That line is machine blown crystal. The "O" series is described as non-crystal. Not sure about the other series they sell nor do I know what BB&B sells. Costco had the Nachtmann series for a while. Wegmans had some Vinum but I think they have cut back.

There was apparently a manufacturing problem for a while and Celebrity was charging $15 for the tasting only. Riedel says the glasses are back in stock so they should now be included at a higher price. If you do this, unless you're driving from the port, get the certificate and pay the shipping. Also, if you do this, you may also want to buy a set of the Shiraz glasses when you get home as they don't include a glass for the high tannin wines.

j

Took the class last weekend on the Equinox transatlantic. Wine Cellar was absolutely packed. Did the tasting with the stemmed glasses (shape DOES make a difference). Price was $17.25 ($15 plus 15% gratuity). A new set of 5 different-sized stemless Reidel glasses was available for $49 and if you purchased them, they deducted the $17.25 from the price. So the net for the the 5 glasses was $31.25, plus shipping which I think is $15 for US. The glasses in the set are etched (tiny) on the bottom with the correct type of wine for each (sort of idiot-proof which I need;)). Much as I like stemmed glasses, these will work better in my kitchen cabinet. The day after the tasting, a Reidel certificate was sent to my cabin with an individual redemption number which I still need to dig out of my cruise stuff so I can go online to order them.

We just attended the workshop. We signed up while on board and paid $15 plus 15% gratuity. I don't see any reason to sign up before sailing.

The higher price use to include a set of glasses. Now you have the option of buying them. The prices of the glasses were about $80 over and above the $15. I think they get more people attending by charging only $15 instead of putting out $85 for glasses that you may not believe in or feel necessary to have.

If you look at the Riedel website you will see that there are different grades of glasses. Those at BB&Y, Target and Williams and Sonoma will say on their boxes that they are made especially for that company. Those glasses are not the same quality as those sold on X. You will also see a link on the website about the workshop and partnership with X.

Since I was unable to purchase the glasses on board Century in October this year, due to non-existant stock, I purchase Riedel "Vinum" at BB&Y. There is nothing on the box nor on the paperwork indicating they were made specifically for BB&Y.

• 3 weeks later...
Since I was unable to purchase the glasses on board Century in October this year, due to non-existant stock, I purchase Riedel "Vinum" at BB&Y. There is nothing on the box nor on the paperwork indicating they were made specifically for BB&Y.

Here is a box at Target

I think BB&Y discontinued selling them.

The glasses at Target also have a rolled rim instead of the laser cut flat square edge than those that are sold on board.

photo-5.jpg.e489834baa41c8516b4416dac19db249.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm confused... on the website there is a Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop for "$82 per package" ... it says:

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals from our superb collection of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass.

It doesn't say anything about getting glasses to keep or a coupon for glasses...

My mom would like to purchase this as a gift for a couple of people on our upcoming cruise so she wants to book it ahead of time...

How can I get a "definitive answer" (for what its worth) from Celebrity as to what is included?

Also, it says "An icon placed on your SeaPass Card indicates your participation in the Riedel Wine Glass Comparative Workshop." What is the point of that other than admission to the event itself?

I'm confused... on the website there is a Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop for "$82 per package" ... it says:

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals from our superb collection of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass.

It doesn't say anything about getting glasses to keep or a coupon for glasses...

My mom would like to purchase this as a gift for a couple of people on our upcoming cruise so she wants to book it ahead of time...

How can I get a "definitive answer" (for what its worth) from Celebrity as to what is included?

Also, it says "An icon placed on your SeaPass Card indicates your participation in the Riedel Wine Glass Comparative Workshop." What is the point of that other than admission to the event itself?

I read that if you attend the class the wines you order will then be served in Riedel glasses. Maybe that is why the icon is on your seapass. Just a guess.

Nancy

I did this workshop on Eclipse in January. We signed up on board with our Sommelier, and the price was $15 plus tax and gratuity (no glasses).

It was fantastic, and the quality of wine served is decent to outstanding. One of the selections was Cakebread sav blanc, which I believe sells on board for almost $20 a glass by itself.

It really is amazing how different the wines taste in the different glasses. I would have liked a little more color on the wines themselves (tasting notes, flavors, etc), but that is a different workshop I suppose.

We signed up Thursday on a 7 night cruise, but our sommelier DID say he could serve one of the wines we had at dinner on Friday night in Riedel and he did (we were on the premium package, so we had him pair wines with each course each night we were in MDR).

I highly recommend this workshop!

PS: I also highly recommend our sommelier who was outstanding. I will look up his name and post it. He truly was excellent in every way.

I read that if you attend the class the wines you order will then be served in Riedel glasses. Maybe that is why the icon is on your seapass. Just a guess.

Nancy

Thanks, I've read that as well just no where "officially"... you would think that they would include ALL of the information if they want people to pony up $82 for a wine tasting... show them what the actual benefits are and then they are much more likely to spend it... 4 out of the 6 people in our group are going to sign up for this... ugh thats $328.... I think I'm going to talk them out of doing it and just buying a few glasses of wine instead...

Is there any way to do the wine tasting without the glasses? I assume its $82 per person, so giving each couple 8 glasses total... If it was $82 per couple I think it would be more do-able for us but I can't see spending $328 for 4 people to taste some wine...

Is there any way to do the wine tasting without the glasses? I assume its $82 per person, so giving each couple 8 glasses total... If it was $82 per couple I think it would be more do-able for us but I can't see spending $328 for 4 people to taste some wine...

Shoelover said they signed up on the ship for $15.00 each. I think I will keep my sign up at $82.00 and have hubby sign up on the ship for $15.00 That way we still get 4 glasses, and both of us get to have the same tasting experience.

I talked to Captain's Club about the different pricing back in the beginning of Dec. It was explained (and also mentioned on CC) that there was problems with the shipment of Reidel glasses (ie none on board the ships) So in the meantime, they were holding the wine tasting for $15 as they could not supply the 4 glasses. When I phoned in Dec the workshop was $15 - it is now offered at $84.49 (CND) on my reservation so I am assuming they now have the glasses on Infinity:D

Archived