North Shore - Oahu

nadalina

Our cruise on the Crystal Symphony will be in Oahu on Tuesday, Dec. 27. Can anyone tell me, please, if the traffic is really bad at the North Shore during that time of year? I have read that the traffic is so bad at certain times of the year that it was not worth the time it took to go, and that, because of the traffic, they basically only had time to quickly get out of the car, if they could find a place to park, spend maybe 15 minutes looking at the waves, and then having to get right back on the road toward Honolulu. I understand that the coastal scenery from Honolulu to the North Shore is gorgeous and I'd like to go, but our time is so limited and we can't do everything we want to do in a day. So seeing the North Shore, at this point, is only a "maybe" for us. Any comments will be appreciated.

We will also be in port on December 27th on Golden Princess. I would think that because this is a Holiday Week in the islands, the North Shore would be very crowded especially if the waves are particularly high for the many surfers who compete during big wave season. I would expect all of the islands to be crowded with land vacationers during this week as well. We have a rental car reserved and are planning to go to the North Shore and hope for the best! Aloha!

Thanks, Bucky3. We also have reserved a rental car and also a room at one of the hotels on the beach at Waikiki so we can relax, refresh and change clothes for sunset cocktails and dinner without having to go back to the ship to do so. We are going to be in Oahu from 7 a.m. to 12 midnight, so I hope this plan works out well for us. I think you're right about the crowds during that week and that's why I think we will forgo the North Shore this time and enjoy the sights closer to Honolulu.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise and your trip to the North Shore.

Peggy

It looks like you have already decided against the North Shore but I have a couple comments in case you change your mind. The last of the surfing championships is December 20 at Pipeline. (Well, this is not totally true, the Eddie Aikau is scheduled between Dec. 1-Feb. 29. The possibility of it happening on the day you are there is slim.) If waves are big on North Shore there will always be traffic jams but not as much on a Tuesday. It is the holiday season but not everyone has the week off. If you decide to give it a try, it is only a 40 minute drive from Honolulu, with some great views after you pass the Dole Plantation. If you get to Haleiwa and the traffic is backed up you can go back to Waikiki. I also love a day at Waikiki. Cherie

It looks like you have already decided against the North Shore but I have a couple comments in case you change your mind. The last of the surfing championships is December 20 at Pipeline. (Well, this is not totally true, the Eddie Aikau is scheduled between Dec. 1-Feb. 29. The possibility of it happening on the day you are there is slim.) If waves are big on North Shore there will always be traffic jams but not as much on a Tuesday. It is the holiday season but not everyone has the week off. If you decide to give it a try, it is only a 40 minute drive from Honolulu, with some great views after you pass the Dole Plantation. If you get to Haleiwa and the traffic is backed up you can go back to Waikiki. I also love a day at Waikiki. Cherie

Thank you for this valuable information, Cherie. You're right..... after I posted my original thread, I talked with someone who was in Oahu in January of this year and they pretty much talked me out of going, not because it wasn't beautiful, exciting and amazing, but because it would take such a large chunk out of our very limited time on the island. I would love to take that coastal drive and I also love your suggestion that we could at least drive to Haleiwa and if traffic is too bad then we can turn around and come back. I did not realize that it was only a 40-minute drive from Honolulu, so I'm so glad you wrote because I think that would be perfect to do first thing in the morning and then we can be back in Waikiki easily by lunchtime. I'd really hate to miss that part of the island. Thanks, again, Cherie.

Peggy

Thank you for this valuable information, Cherie. You're right..... after I posted my original thread, I talked with someone who was in Oahu in January of this year and they pretty much talked me out of going, not because it wasn't beautiful, exciting and amazing, but because it would take such a large chunk out of our very limited time on the island. I would love to take that coastal drive and I also love your suggestion that we could at least drive to Haleiwa and if traffic is too bad then we can turn around and come back. I did not realize that it was only a 40-minute drive from Honolulu, so I'm so glad you wrote because I think that would be perfect to do first thing in the morning and then we can be back in Waikiki easily by lunchtime. I'd really hate to miss that part of the island. Thanks, again, Cherie.

Peggy

Just be aware that the 40 minutes is if you drive through the middle of the island, not along the coast. either way you have more than enough time to go to the north shore on your schedule.

Archived