Wow..impressed with what RCI did for me today!

pandi77

My family and I are sailing on Jewel Dec 1st out of Tampa as a birthday gift for my mom. Both her and my uncle (from Missouri) have never cruised...heck, they've never snorkeled, used a concierge, had escargot...you get my drift..lol.

I have been following prices since I booked a year and a half ago looking for price drops because I really had my heart set on a two bedroom suite since we are 5 adults total and she is handicapped but could not afford it. We had two separate cabins but I've been emailing and calling based on CC members recommendations to see about dining arrangements as well as price drops to do as much as I can to make the trip special for her.

First RCI customer service award goes to Wilbro Gonsalves Restaurant Operations Coordinator on the Jewel. First of all I didn't expect someone such as Wilbro to email me back which was impressive. I mentioned in the email that it's my mom's birthday and that we'd like to have a table for five and that if's there's an impressive area in the MDR a first time cruiser would enjoy to keep us in mind. He emailed back with a warm response saying he was placing us all at a table by the window and that they'd also do something special for my mom's birthday :-) Yay!

Next award goes to Nicole in reservations. I called to inquire about a two bedroom aft family suite that was still available and if they'd swap us out of our two cabins for it. Both of our cabins would be considered prime so I was hoping! She confirmed the price difference of $300 but put me on hold for a minute and came back with better news..$120 total for all five of us to upgrade to this family suite! Double Yay!

RCI made me get as excited as I've been about cruising since the first time I cruised! I think a lot of that is excitement for the family but also especially looking forward to more of that stellar customer service in 3 weeks!

Good for you.

From the pleasant way you write and express yourself I would imagine that someone in the service industry would be willing to bend over backwards to help you.....I certainly would!

I hope you have a FANTASTIC cruise.

Ditto! Have a great cruise.:)

Good for you.

From the pleasant way you write and express yourself I would imagine that someone in the service industry would be willing to bend over backwards to help you.....I certainly would!

I hope you have a FANTASTIC cruise.

Thank you! That's so very kind of you to say...I wish you had been my English teacher...lol. Cruising brings out my best...lol.

and say congratulations on your success with both the cabin and the special dinning spot.

I would have to agree with beachnative that the way you expressed yourself helped immensely in being accommodated by RCI.

I hope that your Mom and your Uncle enjoy their first cruise. Are you keeping the 2 bedroom family suite a birthday surprise for Mom?

Let me know what you think of the Jewel because I won't see her until June. :( :D

and say congratulations on your success with both the cabin and the special dinning spot.

I would have to agree with beachnative that the way you expressed yourself helped immensely in being accommodated by RCI.

I hope that your Mom and your Uncle enjoy their first cruise. Are you keeping the 2 bedroom family suite a birthday surprise for Mom?

Let me know what you think of the Jewel because I won't see her until June. :( :D

Thanks Dorinel. That's a valuable compliment to me as I am heavily involved in the customer service field and really try to give props where deserved as in this case.

The cabin is a surprise as well as the birthday decorations and cake she'll have waiting for her too ;-) I will review the Jewel this time for sure with pics too!

I don't believe that the family suite on Jewel is HC accessible. I'm not sure what the disability in your family is. If it is a mobility issue, then there could be a problem with the suite. There will be a step up to get into the bathrooms. The website says that one bathroom has a shower so that might be okay but it won't have a shower seat. Also, there aren't grab bars in the bathroom. The toilets will be standard height not raised. There will be a step down to get to the balcony. I'm not familiar with the two bedroom suite so I don't know how wide the doors are. They may not be wide enough for a scooter or wheelchair to pass through.

RC special needs can provide a raised toilet seat and a portable shower seat if you contact them in advance.

If you have questions about the accessibility of the suite, you should call and ask before you get onboard. My mom uses a wheelchair so I am aware of mobility problems and cruising.

I don't believe that the family suite on Jewel is HC accessible. I'm not sure what the disability in your family is. If it is a mobility issue, then there could be a problem with the suite. There will be a step up to get into the bathrooms. The website says that one bathroom has a shower so that might be okay but it won't have a shower seat. Also, there aren't grab bars in the bathroom. The toilets will be standard height not raised. There will be a step down to get to the balcony. I'm not familiar with the two bedroom suite so I don't know how wide the doors are. They may not be wide enough for a scooter or wheelchair to pass through.

RC special needs can provide a raised toilet seat and a portable shower seat if you contact them in advance.

If you have questions about the accessibility of the suite, you should call and ask before you get onboard. My mom uses a wheelchair so I am aware of mobility problems and cruising.

Thank you so much for your consideration of her disability and your helpful suggestions. Her main issues are in fact mobility in the bathroom as you discussed. Since her room was to be with my uncle originally her bathroom needed certain items you referenced if she was to go alone but since she's in our cabin I can assist where needed (a girl you understand...lol).

He emailed back with a warm response saying he was placing us all at a table by the window and that they'd also do something special for my mom's birthday

First of all--congrats! Second of all--On your first night in the dining room, take the head waiter aside and let him know about your talk with Wilbro and what he said. The more people who serve you that know, the less chance there is for something to go wrong. It just gives them a "heads up" that you need something special on a special date. I also agree that you need to give Special Needs a call. They can help with all sorts of things. I use a C-Pap machine and they furnish me with distilled water at no extra charge. Really great because then I don't have to haul around a gallon of distilled water. Special needs has been great to deal with. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. Lots of very helpful people around here.

Pamela

(Tucson, AZ)

pandi77

Have a wonderful time with your family. Your post is very pleasant so I imagine that you were just as pleasant in your RCCL correspondence. It's always best to be friendly and positive.

Thank you and I work to cruise too! lol

First of all--congrats! Second of all--On your first night in the dining room, take the head waiter aside and let him know about your talk with Wilbro and what he said. The more people who serve you that know, the less chance there is for something to go wrong. It just gives them a "heads up" that you need something special on a special date. I also agree that you need to give Special Needs a call. They can help with all sorts of things. I use a C-Pap machine and they furnish me with distilled water at no extra charge. Really great because then I don't have to haul around a gallon of distilled water. Special needs has been great to deal with. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. Lots of very helpful people around here.

Pamela

(Tucson, AZ)

That's great advice and I was definitely going to say something about Wilbro but hadn't thought to do so with the head waiter..most helpful! She has a walker but with me being in the same room we can accomplish most anything. These are good nuggets of information

though for future reference. We have other family that could use these tips.

Have a great cruise! The Jewel is a wonderful ship :)

Thanks bionicman97 :-) I followed your review of the Radiance before we went and it was very helpful! Being 25 minutes from the port made this cruise an easy choice. I'm so grateful the Radiance class ships have been in Tampa...so beautiful!

Thank you so much for your consideration of her disability and your helpful suggestions. Her main issues are in fact mobility in the bathroom as you discussed. Since her room was to be with my uncle originally her bathroom needed certain items you referenced if she was to go alone but since she's in our cabin I can assist where needed (a girl you understand...lol).

I'm pretty sure the bathroom in the "nice" bedroom where you will probably put your mom and uncle has a tub, so you'll want to have her shower in the hall bath which has a stall shower (you can request a shower chair). The tubs are high and, having hip issues myself, can be difficult to get in and out of. The doorway to the suite should be wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter.

I visited that cabin on the Jewel just over 2 weeks ago. The nice family that was in there wanted to see our HC JS (yes, I do need one) as their mom had mobility issues.

That cabin is not wheelchair or scooter accessable. There is a sharp turn (90 degree) as soon as you enter the cabin and the "hallway" is narrow.

The larger bath has a tub, with the usual VERY high sides. It did have grab bars as I recall.

The smaller bath has a shower that looked like a narrow frosted glass tube. I'm pretty sure that there would be no room for a shower chair in there.

After touring that suite we decided it would not work for us on a future cruise with family (aren't cabin crawls great!). Did not take any pictures though.

Hope it works for you guys - have a GREAT trip.

Archived