I've Been Reading About Alaska.......

sail7seas

Maybe an eagle will fly right over aft pool and I'll see it or a bear will stand up on the shore when we sail by and wave. :D I'll be sure to wave back. Any chance I'll see a whale from my veranda? ;)

I know you said this tongue-in-cheek, but none of these things are outside the realm of possibility. We've seen them all from a ship. OK....so the bear probably won't stand up and wave, but we did see a bear walking along the shore on one trip. Granted, we had a good pair of binoculars, and a sharp-eyed sportsman who spotted it, but we watched it for quite a while.

If you have a nice day in Ketchikan, by all means go out on the pool deck to look for eagles. There are lots of eagles in that area, and we had many flying quite close to the ship. Eagles are not above getting a cheap meal from the fishermen when the opportunity presents itself.

Juneau is a good place to look for whales. There is a large pod of humpbacks in that area, which is why the whale-watching excursions are so popular out of Juneau and Icy Strait Point with guaranteed sitings. Whenever you're on your balcony, just keep watching for the spouts and flukes. I'd be surprised if you didn't see something.

Speaking of binoculars, Alaska is one place where a decent pair is invaluable for wildlife sitings and even glacier watching. If you have them, be sure to take them with you.

First a 14 day cruise will always be better than a 7. So take it

Second the whales you see on the east coast will be nothing like the west. I have never taken a 7 day cruise after the first one.. now 28+

Things of a scale you have yet to immigine and experience. Nothing is routine its a combination of the wild west, Norway, Switzerland,England and Maine all in one wrapper.

Getting on and off at the same port is always good. Its all American all the way.

You have Mt Rainier National Park for a pre cruise day trip too.

A float plane is as safe or safer than the plane you took from the east coast.

You could make this a real adventure by taking a 3 day Amtrack adventure either before or after the cruise from home! Get a bedroom and see the USA

are wonderful national parks with daily free programs in Sitka, Skagway etc. Klondke National park in Seattle too.. start there.

Thanks for all the helpful comments......

We'll have binoculars provided in our cabin but I think we'll bring another set so we each have one to use.

Hawaiidan.... There is absolutely no chance at all I will be on a float plane or on Amtrak cross country. Boston to NYC, sure, Accela is handy. Across country..... No way. :D

Fingers crossed the wildlife of Alaska chooses to show itself within view of the ship. :)

Thanks to all for bringing back all of the wonderful memories of our trips to Alaska! Sitting at breakfast at Glacier Bay Lodge and watching a bear wander down the trail below, a eagle with a fish so big he had to swim to shore instead of fly, and the whales that followed the ship for what seemed like miles before swimming off to feed somewhere else. We are getting ready to make another trip and it still seems like our first. We never get tired, there is still something new to see. Enjoy your trip!

Archived