I just don't get cruising with Stuffed Animals

Catrin

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I read this thread.

I leave on Saturday for a nine day cruise. I will be with family, but am rooming by myself for the first time. I am in an LDR with my SO, and he was unable to get the time off of work. About six months ago, he gave me a small stuffed lion that I can hug and think of him.

That lion is now going to be my cabin mate for this cruise.

An memory for all of you: about 10 years ago, my ex husband and I were planning on going to Disney with our best friends. The day before the trip, one of our friends (the husband) had a heart attack. He was fine, but obviously still had to cancel the trip.

My ex and I went anyway... And ended up getting a Mr. Potatohead doll that we dressed up to look like our friend, and named it after him: Barry Potatohead.

We had a blast posing pictures with it, and when we got home, we presented the real Barry with a travel log of "his" vacation.

Thanks for the memories, folks. And the great idea. :)

Let me explain the stuffed animal thing...you either get it or you don't.

In our case, our son was in Afghanistan with the Marine Corps, and we found a stuffed dog dressed in cammies as a Marine, and decided that since our son could not be with us, we would take the puppy along and send him funny pictures of the puppy in different situations.

It makes for a great laugh, and it's fun to think up funny situations to put the puppy in. We ended up at a Marine Corps museum once and we placed the puppy in a scene of Marines storming the beach; he blended right in and it looked like he was in the war too. We also have taken pictures of him peeing on a bush, chilling out with the towel animals, and so on.

It's fun for us and funny for him...honestly some of the best times we have had were laughing about the hilarious photo we just took - one of my favs is the one of the puppy smoking and drinking at a Toby Keith concert!

• 4 weeks later...

My 5 year old wants to take his stuffed Darth Vader with us on our cruise and thanks to this thread I am totally taking pictures of him sun bathing, etc. he can even come to dinner with us.

I am also putting a small decoration on the door so he can find our room easier, as he likes to run ahead (where he can still be seen) looking for our door when we are on vacation.

I am 49 and my foster son will be 50 March 1st.He is mentally challenged. You cannot tell by just looking at him. He takes a stuffed animal with him anytime we go on vacation. It bothered me at 1st but my psychological major son asked me what did it matter? He wasn't hurting anyone! Yes, he is right. It gives peace to my foster son, so be it!:p

Edited by Dottierainbow

• 2 weeks later...

laffin .. OP and others who are in agreement w/ them about the loonies w/ stuffed animals had best hoped they never get the 4 of us at their table. We are all mid 60s and can often be found wearing our Margaritaville "Growing older but not UP!" t shirts and carrying our bag of tricks, with rubber chickens, screaming flying monkeys, pirate eye patches, groucho glasses and burger king crowns.

We have met more fun people w/ all that paraphenalia..and others look at us and shudder and head the other direction.. oh well

We're heading out again on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/9/12. Come join the insanity!

I've attached a pic of the chickens... Sal Monella and his girlfriend, Kaye F. Sea, as well as the monkeys.

100_0450.jpg.67ba420484b7feb149dc361187498ec3.jpg

100_0458.jpg.6b6fca41be53b6667e664987d77f652c.jpg

laffin .. OP and others who are in agreement w/ them about the loonies w/ stuffed animals had best hoped they never get the 4 of us at their table. We are all mid 60s and can often be found wearing our Margaritaville "Growing older but not UP!" t shirts and carrying our bag of tricks, with rubber chickens, screaming flying monkeys, pirate eye patches, groucho glasses and burger king crowns.

We have met more fun people w/ all that paraphenalia..and others look at us and shudder and head the other direction.. oh well

We're heading out again on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/9/12. Come join the insanity!

I've attached a pic of the chickens... Sal Monella and his girlfriend, Kaye F. Sea, as well as the monkeys.

That's great! Love the monkeys :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Let me explain the stuffed animal thing...you either get it or you don't.

In our case, our son was in Afghanistan with the Marine Corps, and we found a stuffed dog dressed in cammies as a Marine, and decided that since our son could not be with us, we would take the puppy along and send him funny pictures of the puppy in different situations.

It makes for a great laugh, and it's fun to think up funny situations to put the puppy in. We ended up at a Marine Corps museum once and we placed the puppy in a scene of Marines storming the beach; he blended right in and it looked like he was in the war too. We also have taken pictures of him peeing on a bush, chilling out with the towel animals, and so on.

It's fun for us and funny for him...honestly some of the best times we have had were laughing about the hilarious photo we just took - one of my favs is the one of the puppy smoking and drinking at a Toby Keith concert!

My post up next : )

I just stumbled across this thread : ) Love it!! I will be bringing my beloved Theo with me on my cruise. I want a pic of him with the stingrays in Grand Cayman.

After I posted the question of the Flat Stanley project, I scrolled down and saw others had already mentioned it. As for bringing kids while traveling: This will be my 1st vacay without kids....I look fwd to going with my classmates/friends, but will miss seeing things thru kids' eyes. BUT, my roomie has never been on a cruise, so it will be kinda like bringing a kid : )

Theo.jpg.bd6296b8fc5d663e1784f9143c57f179.jpg

• 2 months later...

I think the flat Stanley thing is really cute and since we're taking our first vacation without the kids, am thinking of getting a picture of my kids and just putting their flat version in our pictures. lol That oughtta make DD completely nuts!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We're going cruising in November and my son's three headed dragon will be travelling with us. He's a veteran traveller of 10 years, although cruising will be a step up for him....he's normally more of a backpack and tent kinda reptile. FTR his name is Fluffy, after the three headed dog in HP (named by then 3 y o son) but we rarely refer to him by name.

Why p!ss off a dragon unnecessarily ??:D