How long at PV Zoo

fyreus

I think we spend in general about 2-3 hours there. Bring spray against mosquitos and buy(or bring) drinks at the entrance for the walk through the zoo.

We explored the PV Zoo and yes two -three hours is about the time we were there as well. Bring bug spray and wear runners or other good support shoes. I wore flip flops and Mr.QT wore runners (sneakers) and he had a much better time walking the sometimes steep slippy cobbled paths then I did.

We loved the zoo and went about 10 AM in the morning then walked back to the highway, crossed it and spent the day at Mismaloya Beach. WONDERFUL day :)

Is the interaction with the cubs similar to that in Cabo San Lucas? I only ask because the cubs in Cabo are drugged so they are docile and then when they are older they are killed. I don't want to dissuade anyone if the zoo is not doing this.

We explored the PV Zoo and yes two -three hours is about the time we were there as well. Bring bug spray and wear runners or other good support shoes. I wore flip flops and Mr.QT wore runners (sneakers) and he had a much better time walking the sometimes steep slippy cobbled paths then I did.

We loved the zoo and went about 10 AM in the morning then walked back to the highway, crossed it and spent the day at Mismaloya Beach. WONDERFUL day :)

How far of a walk is it from the zoo to Mismaloya beach? Also were there taxis avalible for the return trip to PV? I have been doing a lot of research on going to the zoo and how to get there and back. Any help would be great. There are 5 of us 3 adults, 1 teen and a 2 year old. Thanks.

Is the interaction with the cubs similar to that in Cabo San Lucas? I only ask because the cubs in Cabo are drugged so they are docile and then when they are older they are killed. I don't want to dissuade anyone if the zoo is not doing this.

So glad you asked this :)

The Cabo cubs are totally a scam ....a horrific disgusting scam.

PV Zoo breeding program is set up in partnership with other zoos world wide so they send babies born there to to other zoos around the world. I am so not usually a zoo person but found the staff at the PV Zoo to be wonderfully attentive to the four legged and two legged residents and the animals are well cared for.

http://www.zoologicodevallarta.com/zooi.html

How far of a walk is it from the zoo to Mismaloya beach? Also were there taxis avalible for the return trip to PV? I have been doing a lot of research on going to the zoo and how to get there and back. Any help would be great. There are 5 of us 3 adults, 1 teen and a 2 year old. Thanks.

The walk from the zoo to Mismaloya is about 15 mins and there will be plenty of taxis at the entrance going back into town. Barcelo resort is right at the entrance as well.

We catch the bus out there (7 pesos) and then cab it back to the cruise ship (180 pesos) for up to 3 people in a cab. IF there is a taxi van there it will be double that or you will need to take two cabs.

So glad you asked this :)

The Cabo cubs are totally a scam ....a horrific disgusting scam.

PV Zoo breeding program is set up in partnership with other zoos world wide so they send babies born there to to other zoos around the world. I am so not usually a zoo person but found the staff at the PV Zoo to be wonderfully attentive to the four legged and two legged residents and the animals are well cared for.

http://www.zoologicodevallarta.com/zooi.html

Thanks for the info.

The walk from the zoo to Mismaloya is about 15 mins and there will be plenty of taxis at the entrance going back into town. Barcelo resort is right at the entrance as well.

We catch the bus out there (7 pesos) and then cab it back to the cruise ship (180 pesos) for up to 3 people in a cab. IF there is a taxi van there it will be double that or you will need to take two cabs.

Thanks for the help.:)

Went to the PV zoo this past summer and we (myself and DS) spent about 2-3 hours there. This was one of our favorite excursions, we bought food to feed the animals. We saw the cub interaction but did not participate, it looked like fun for those that did. If you want to have lunch after the zoo ask for directions to Tony's hideway this was our favorite meal of the entire stay!! Tony's is located in the town/village of Mismaloya (not on the beach side). The menu is brought to you on a tray and you choose from the fresh offerings of the day...YUM! We went over to the beach after our lunch and were completely ripped off by a beach restaurant...my fault for not asking the prices before I ordered!!! We were directed by a nice man to this restaurant and he probably was getting a bit of a finders fee for steering us....Again my fault for not checking before ordering, so just be aware and ask prices first! Mismaloya beach was always one of my places to visit on any trip to PV...not anymore!! This is my opinion and everyone should experience their own.;)

We also took the bus there and back for this trip, but then again we take the bus almost everywhere in PV!! Enjoy the Zoo, it's worth the trip.:)

Went to the PV zoo this past summer and we (myself and DS) spent about 2-3 hours there. This was one of our favorite excursions, we bought food to feed the animals. We saw the cub interaction but did not participate, it looked like fun for those that did. If you want to have lunch after the zoo ask for directions to Tony's hideway this was our favorite meal of the entire stay!! Tony's is located in the town/village of Mismaloya (not on the beach side). The menu is brought to you on a tray and you choose from the fresh offerings of the day...YUM! We went over to the beach after our lunch and were completely ripped off by a beach restaurant...my fault for not asking the prices before I ordered!!! We were directed by a nice man to this restaurant and he probably was getting a bit of a finders fee for steering us....Again my fault for not checking before ordering, so just be aware and ask prices first! Mismaloya beach was always one of my places to visit on any trip to PV...not anymore!! This is my opinion and everyone should experience their own.;)

We also took the bus there and back for this trip, but then again we take the bus almost everywhere in PV!! Enjoy the Zoo, it's worth the trip.:)

Don't let one bad experience turn you off of one of the nicest beaches in Banderas Bay :)

We hit the very first restaurant when you cross over either the bridge or the small river outlet....don't remember the name but it is the first one and has a massage/spa (rustic but nice) area attached. We have been there about 8 times now and Chico is our favourite server. They do have menus with prices. I think beer is 18 pesos...margs about 50 (80 for those with Cazadore). Whole red snapper with the fixings is 99 pesos.....we usually share it as it is a large platter.

We always get a menu or ask prices before we order.....last May we were on Los Muertos beach and with out thinking, I ordered a Marg from the new place that use to be the Beach House....It was 100 pesos and made with disgusting Jose Cuevos Gold.....YUCK learnt my lesson the hard way :(

Where can you catch the bus from the cruise ship ,across from wal-mart, to get to the zoo?

Thanks

Gary

Gary yes, you do catch the bus across from Walmart. I don't know the exact one to tell you, I just know by looking at the writing on the front windshield which one heads toward the southside (or you can ask one of the drivers). Once in the southside I know to go over to the oxxo and get another bus toward Mismaloya...I am not one to remember names of streets I just know how to get there from trial and error:p...these are the things that usually make my trips so much fun:D I have found people in PV to be very helpful and friendly whenever I've needed directions.

I hope you enjoy your time at the zoo it's very different than any here in the states.

Don't let one bad experience turn you off of one of the nicest beaches in Banderas Bay :)

We hit the very first restaurant when you cross over either the bridge or the small river outlet....don't remember the name but it is the first one and has a massage/spa (rustic but nice) area attached. We have been there about 8 times now and Chico is our favourite server. They do have menus with prices. I think beer is 18 pesos...margs about 50 (80 for those with Cazadore). Whole red snapper with the fixings is 99 pesos.....we usually share it as it is a large platter.

We always get a menu or ask prices before we order.....last May we were on Los Muertos beach and with out thinking, I ordered a Marg from the new place that use to be the Beach House....It was 100 pesos and made with disgusting Jose Cuevos Gold.....YUCK learnt my lesson the hard way :(

I disagree about one of the nicest beaches being Mismaloya...I usually spend most of my time on Los Muertos (unless a trip to Bucerias is planned)...I'm a Fendencios fan, love that family!! I did stop in last summer at the new place that replaced the Beach House and had a terrific burger! The shower right next to the bar was a nice touch too.:cool: Good service and good food..even though Gaby (from Fendencios) gave me the evil eye all afternoon for being a traitor!!:o Love PV!:D

I disagree about one of the nicest beaches being Mismaloya...I usually spend most of my time on Los Muertos (unless a trip to Bucerias is planned)...I'm a Fendencios fan, love that family!! I did stop in last summer at the new place that replaced the Beach House and had a terrific burger! The shower right next to the bar was a nice touch too.:cool: Good service and good food..even though Gaby (from Fendencios) gave me the evil eye all afternoon for being a traitor!!:o Love PV!:D

Ha I have a visual of the evil eye :) Good to hear that the food was good, I might have to give it another try.

We always stay at Plaza Mar or until the last few years Playa Los Arcos so spend almost all of our time at Los Muertos (but I do think the beach and water clarity is much nicer in Mismaloya through much smaller) and Mr.QT loves Nuevo so every other trip we have to spend a few days there in addition to PV....so we do hit the beach in Bucerias, love that little village and Karen's Place on the beach, great hamburgers, shrimp stuffed avocados and coconut shrimp.

PV is my favourite place in the whole world.....one day we will live there at least half of the time. I have alot of Cand and Amer friends who are living there right now and I am impatiently waiting for retirement day <----sadly still a long ways away HA :D

Gary yes, you do catch the bus across from Walmart. I don't know the exact one to tell you, I just know by looking at the writing on the front windshield which one heads toward the southside (or you can ask one of the drivers). Once in the southside I know to go over to the oxxo and get another bus toward Mismaloya...I am not one to remember names of streets I just know how to get there from trial and error:p...these are the things that usually make my trips so much fun:D I have found people in PV to be very helpful and friendly whenever I've needed directions.

I hope you enjoy your time at the zoo it's very different than any here in the states.

Catch the southside bus from across the walmart (ask before you get in) but B-A-W is so right about the people being helpful and friendly.

In the southside we catch the Mismaloya bus to the Zoo at the corner of Basilo Badillo and Constituction or Insurgentes, you get off at the spot where Barcelo is located,, cross the highway and walk about 15 mins to the zoo. There are signs and everything is well mapped out.

I have no sense of direction and get lost in my own house. The people there will point you in the right way and Jr's maps are great, I still carry one in pocket at all times....just in case :eek:;).

http://vallartainfo.com/south.html

Catch the southside bus from across the walmart (ask before you get in) but B-A-W is so right about the people being helpful and friendly.

In the southside we catch the Mismaloya bus to the Zoo at the corner of Basilo Badillo and Constituction or Insurgentes, you get off at the spot where Barcelo is located,, cross the highway and walk about 15 mins to the zoo. There are signs and everything is well mapped out.

I have no sense of direction and get lost in my own house. The people there will point you in the right way and Jr's maps are great, I still carry one in pocket at all times....just in case :eek:;).

http://vallartainfo.com/south.html

Thanks a lot for the info. We have taken the bus to the beach, but this will be our first time with bus transfers.

Gary

Ha I have a visual of the evil eye :) Good to hear that the food was good, I might have to give it another try.

We always stay at Plaza Mar or until the last few years Playa Los Arcos so spend almost all of our time at Los Muertos (but I do think the beach and water clarity is much nicer in Mismaloya through much smaller) and Mr.QT loves Nuevo so every other trip we have to spend a few days there in addition to PV....so we do hit the beach in Bucerias, love that little village and Karen's Place on the beach, great hamburgers, shrimp stuffed avocados and coconut shrimp.

PV is my favourite place in the whole world.....one day we will live there at least half of the time. I have alot of Cand and Amer friends who are living there right now and I am impatiently waiting for retirement day <----sadly still a long ways away HA :D

I know exactly what you mean about PV...Love that town! I get homesick for it if I don't get there at least once a year. I am always jealous when ever I meet people that live there all the time.:p One day I too will live in Mexico, right now it looks like San Pancho with a lot of visits to PV.:D

Hello - we just got back from PV last week. Loved the zoo and the animal interaction. Did the $50 upgrade to hold the new little babies. An awesome experience and well worth it to me. The animals really seem to enjoy the attention; I think they are happier and more stimulated mentally by that interaction than a lot of the animals in US zoos that are kept more seperate but look more bored and lonely.

If I have one suggestion it is to get more food than 1 bag - it only got us halfway through being what we thought was conservative with feeding. Then we felt bad passing the rest of the animals with nothing left (bet that happens a lot to the animals towards the end). We went all the way through - got two more bags apiece - and went through backwards. That way the always missed animals got first dibs. Lots of babies=lots of fun.

Had so much fun there, next time in PV it will be on my DO AGAIN list!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for new info, AlaskaSouth1. What babies were there? And do you think it is best to wear jeans and long sleeves to avoid scratches, or was that not an issue? Also, did you need bug spray? Thanks again! Leaving SOON; can't wait!!! :)

I was at the Zoo on Nov 9th, 2011. It was early afternoon and about 90* .

When we were there the larger babies were a 4 month old lion cub (lazy & sleepy), a 3 month old jaguar cub (almost too playful - play biting and wrestling), and a 4 month old tiger cub (playful but calm, liked being petted and scratched).

These 3 were all kept together in a large shaded pen near the exit. You had to sign a waiver before you could enter. There was an assistant in the pen with you at all times - only one guest allowed in at a time. The assistant was a young man who was very careful to keep the babies occupied and make sure their kitty playfulness did not get too rambunctious.

Think of a 3-4 month old kitten and their playfulness except that it is the size of a labrador retriever dog. I am an animal person and I never felt in danger of a deliberately vicious scratch, but I was aware of their playfulness/strength and very watchful.

The small babies we held were Bengal tiger cubs that were about 3 weeks old. They were just like a little kitten is at that age except the size of an average adult house cat. They were not agressive at all and liked being held firmly and securely on your lap. They put a goodsized plastic coated pad (pee pad) on your lap so pretty safe from scratches. The baby I held cried a little and I gave him my little finger to nurse on and he settled right down happily. How cool is that!

Not sure what will be available when you go - or what your timing is. I wouldn't think the new tiger babies would be able to be put in the 1st area I mentioned until they are 2 months or so (end of Dec?) and they probably won't have the other cubs available that long as they are getting pretty big and strong. Perhaps they had others that were not available at that time?

As far as what to wear - up to you. When we went it was hot and I had on shorts and a tank top and did not carry anything else to put on. I never really felt in any danger due to how I was dressed. It will be cooler when you go so perhaps dress for the weather that day and carry something with you that you could put on if you felt the need.

There is also a juvenile monkey, a small adult monkey and a very pretty snake that you can hold and take pictures with.

Check out the Zoo online : www.zoologicodevallarta.com.

Also check the zoos reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150793-d933965-Reviews-Vallarta_Zoo-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

Archived