The New Tipping Rate ...it appears Carnival has there own tipping concept

bzpilot

First of all that is a wage. Albeit a small one, it's still a wage and paid for out of the cruise fare or the cost of dinner .

I don't begrudge them tips either. But they choose that job. I don't however subscribe to the theory that simply showing up earns you a tip.

Yeah, but waiting on your butt does.

Always because I appreciate someone who waits on me all week while I am on vacation.

It's interesting you think that I don't. Read my posts and show me once where I said I don't appreciate them. The sacrifices these crew make are more than I could do. To be away from family only so they could provide for their family is noble. I honor them. Which is why I think they deserve more of the tip increase than salaried employees.

Remove all auto tips

Make the MDR a $5.00 per night surcharge (for all nights) payable with the fare if you want to use the MDR. If you don't want to pay, you eat at the Lido or by the pool. The waitstaff gets to keep all the surcharge.

Those who want to avoid tipping can, just no MDR.

No question on who gets what.

Room Stewart - he would get a cash tip or maybe CCL can have a room charge - $1 per towel. If you want clean towels, there will be a towel card in the room. You write how many clean towels you want that eveing. Charge is $1 each - all goes to the room stewart.

This would be a huge savings to CCL, as the towel laundry will diminish with those looking to save money.

Drinks will still have the 15% tip - no question who gets that - bar staff.

Raise the cruise fare to cover the rest of the curent allocation.

No disclosure needed with cruise fare.

There will be no questions about allocations or costs.

Those who want to sail cheaper, can avoid eating in the MDR, buying drinks or using clean towels.

... the minimum wage for tipped employees is full minimum wage ...

Of course crew members aren't covered by any of this. As stated they receive a small salary and the rest of their compensation comes from tips. If you want to kid yourself and say that their entire compensation comes from the crusie fare that's your business but that doesn't square with the facts no matter how you slice it.

There is no doubt that the vast majority of low-level crew's compensation comes from so-called "tips". I'm not sure what led you to believe I thought otherwise.

The comment of mine that you quoted responded to the earlier post about what the price of a restaurant meal "covered".

It's interesting you think that I don't. Read my posts and show me once where I said I don't appreciate them. The sacrifices these crew make are more than I could do. To be away from family only so they could provide for their family is noble. I honor them. Which is why I think they deserve more of the tip increase than salaried employees.

I agree.

I must have misread something because sometimes if the thread is long I just skim through. I certainly do not think that my tips should go to the entertainment staff since i never go to the shows and they should be salaried.

No the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us.......no need to call it any other thing than what it actually is.....a tip.

Wow this is so blatantly wrong I don't even know how to reply. So on the Sprint when it goes to Australia all the people who get the tips will be working for free?

Tipping is supposed to be for going above and beyond what your job normally requires. The basic requirement for a server (or whatever you want to call it) is to serve your food and drinks. The basic requirement for a cabin steward (or whatever you want to call it) is to clean your cabin. Those are requirements. If they go above those requirements THEN you tip them.

Simply doing your job does not merit a tip. In the way Carnival uses the "tipping" system is to make up for a lower wage. Customers are subsiding the wages.

I just wanted to add that every single time a tipping thread comes up here there are two different people that come out.

1) People that correctly understand what a tip is and how it's earned.

and

2) People that think if a person moves they deserve a tip. Oh the candlestick maker showed up for work today, quick someone tip them. :rolleyes:

Wow this is so blatantly wrong I don't even know how to reply. So on the Sprint when it goes to Australia all the people who get the tips will be working for free?

Tipping is supposed to be for going above and beyond what your job normally requires. The basic requirement for a server (or whatever you want to call it) is to serve your food and drinks. The basic requirement for a cabin steward (or whatever you want to call it) is to clean your cabin. Those are requirements. If they go above those requirements THEN you tip them.

Simply doing your job does not merit a tip. In the way Carnival uses the "tipping" system is to make up for a lower wage. Customers are subsiding the wages.

Once upon a time you might have been correct. Now if someone does an adequate job, society says you tip them.

Do not have to give them a huge amount but they get something. Besides never been on a cruise when the servers did not do a good job.

It doesn't? How else do they get paid? If they are working just for tips they may need to find another job. :D

Sounds good to me. I am happy you found a way that makes sense to you. I don't discuss who or how much I tip.

I do think many people who are currently getting tips, should not be tipped.

For someone who doesnt discuss it .. you sure do carry on discussing tipping and even more or less come right out and say you dont tip sounds like from these posts.

Once upon a time you might have been correct. Now if someone does an adequate job, society says you tip them.

I'm not sure about your society, but in mine we take pride in our work and aren't looking for a hand out. Even at our business if a customer tips us great, if not we don't bash them saying they are cheap people.

Well put (re the comment that the salary pays crew members just to show up, but it is the tip that pays for them to actually do anything other than just showing up -- if I understood the relevant post correctly). If it was mathematically possible, I would agree a thousand percent, in this particular case.

I think Carnival could just solve the whole issue by changing the label from "tips" to "coerced salary supplements" ... oh and including it in their advertized rates.

I believe the Spirit is making it a mandatory/tip service charge? I could be wrong. Isn't that how it is set up in Europe also?

Well put (re the comment that the salary pays crew members just to show up, but it is the tip that pays for them to actually do anything other than just showing up -- if I understood the relevant post correctly). If it was mathematically possible, I would agree a thousand percent, in this particular case.

I think Carnival could just solve the whole issue by changing the label from "tips" to "coerced salary supplements" ... oh and including it in their advertized rates.

The employees get a base salary. Nobody said it was just for showing up.

I believe the Spirit is making it a mandatory/tip service charge? I could be wrong. Isn't that how it is set up in Europe also?

This is where terminology comes into play, in Europe you are quoted a price with a service charge added to the price. If you feel like adding a gratuity you can but it's not expected.

Even in Europe you tip over the quoted amount if you feel the service was beyond your expectations.

For someone who doesnt discuss it .. you sure do carry on discussing tipping and even more or less come right out and say you dont tip sounds like from these posts.

Well I would expect more from you Firefly. I will state this one more time as it seems people here don't pay attention.

1. I don't like how carnival rolled out the change in tip amount. Not the amount. The fact that they said their crew deserves a raise. I think raises come from your boss, not tips.

2. I object to salaried employees getting a tip and now taking it away from hard working individuals who truly need those tips and who earned those tips.

I have sailed once on Celebrity. I prepaid the tips and gave my cabin steward a tip as well. We had anytime dining and I did not tip my waiter as we had many and felt autotips covered it. I also tipped the bartender at the bar we frequented the most.

On my upcoming carnival cruise I have prepaid my tips again and will tip my cabin steward at the end if I feel he did a good job. I will also tip the waiter this time as well as we Have set dining.

I am bald, but when I did get haircuts I don't tip them. :D

I hope this helps clear things up. Though I suspect it won't help a bit.

This is where terminology comes into play, in Europe you are quoted a price with a service charge added to the price. If you feel like adding a gratuity you can but it's not expected.

Even in Europe you tip over the quoted amount if you feel the service was beyond your expectations.

I have never been to Europe I was just posting how the cruiselines handle the tips in other countries......

So if your waiter just brings your food and drinks what have they done to earn a tip?

They earn it by giving me great service

The employees get a base salary. Nobody said it was just for showing up.

Then what did you mean by the following:

No the service is not paid for in the fare.....their salary is. The tip is for the service they provide us...........

The discussion was about service crew whose job is to serve. Your original comment seemed to be that the tip pays them to do their job of serving, which led me to believe you thought their salary pays them to just show up, but do nothing. If that is not what you meant, then please explain. I'm pretty sure the other posters who responded to your original comment took it the same way I did.

Frankly, I'm glad I misunderstood you because it was hard to imagine anyone would believe that.

Then what did you mean by the following:

The discussion was about service crew whose job is to serve. Your original comment seemed to be that the tip pays them to do their job of serving, which led me to believe you thought their salary pays them to just show up, but do nothing. If that is not what you meant, then please explain. I'm pretty sure the other posters who responded to your original comment took it the same way I did.

Frankly, I'm glad I misunderstood you because it was hard to imagine anyone would believe that.

Well your assumption was wrong as usual......it's common knowledge they all get a base salary, room and board, food, and medical......as far as their whole job description.....sorry I'm not privy to this....but I would assume it is just not for showing up:rolleyes:

The tip that I give them is for great service.....

Frankly I believe anyone can believe anything when they take posts completely out of context or put words in their mouth to suit their own agenda.......

There is no doubt that the vast majority of low-level crew's compensation comes from so-called "tips". I'm not sure what led you to believe I thought otherwise.

The comment of mine that you quoted responded to the earlier post about what the price of a restaurant meal "covered".

I apologize for misunderstanding what you were saying.

This is not just limited to Carnival, it's the entire hospitality/service industry. Most tipped employees are paid less by the employer because they receive tips. As has been stated this is acknowledged in the way wage and hour laws are written (and there are exceptions of course). And while cruise lines are subject to the wage and hour laws as a rule they all handle the compensation for their crew members in very similar ways. I know someone who works as a bellhop at a resort hotel and he pulls in $50k a year or more in tips. Can you imagine the hotel paying him $24 an hour when there are no customers and what that would do to the hotel's rates?

One thing that I learned in all of my travels in the Navy was the importance of learning the local customs and observing them, especially when it comes to things like tipping. Tipping customs vary greatly from place to place as evidenced by the Spirit in Australia.

Archived