Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

Aloha, so sad you had to go thru this! I'm going to call Austrian Air (even though I know it's part of Europe and make sure that it's not crazy there. I guess it should be okay, but now I've heard a few horror stories about airports in Kiev and Odesa. Not fun at all! Glad we leave right from Viking,but I'm going to check on the return. My DH will kill me if something like this happens to me and will never take Viking again....

A big part of Kohola's problem was having to buy a visa to get into Turkey long enough to collect his baggage that had only been checked as far as Istanbul because for some reason, they would not check it all the way to the US when it was checked in in Ukraine--especially after he was assured prior to traveling that he would not need a visa for Turkey because he was simply changing planes there.

You won't have a visa problem in Vienna because no visa is needed.

Since you are staying overnight in Vienna, you most likely will not be permitted to check your luggage all the way through to the US anyway; you will have to collect it in Vienna and check it again when you return to the airport.

Edited by Peregrina651

Aloha, so sad you had to go thru this! I'm going to call Austrian Air (even though I know it's part of Europe and make sure that it's not crazy there. I guess it should be okay, but now I've heard a few horror stories about airports in Kiev and Odesa. Not fun at all! Glad we leave right from Viking,but I'm going to check on the return. My DH will kill me if something like this happens to me and will never take Viking again....

Forgot to say, it was completely out of Viking's hands. Viking can't control what the airlines and the airport personnel do. It could have happened regardless of the tour provider.

A big part of Kohola's problem was having to buy a visa to get into Turkey long enough to collect his baggage that had only been checked as far as Istanbul because for some reason, they would not check it all the way to the US when it was checked in in Ukraine--especially after he was assured prior to traveling that he would not need a visa for Turkey because he was simply changing planes there.

You won't have a visa problem in Vienna because no visa is needed.

To add some additional information to what Peregrina has been providing to this thread. Any European Union country, including Austria, allows travel freely between themselves and other EU countries and the US. Traveling in Europe is much like going between states in the US now. The countries that require a Visa which you may encounter during a Viking cruise are Russia, China, Turkey, Egypt and Jordan.

Our TA is married to an Ukrainian citizen so she is very familiar with the region. She double checked with Viking about the Visa requirements and told us before hand that she was not comfortable with their response, but getting a Turkish Visa only requires standing in line and paying $20. It's not like going to Russia or China where you must satisfy immigration requirements to enter the country. It was not a big deal, but when we told her that a Visa was in fact required she immediately contacted the Viking regional rep because she was embarrassed about the situation. Viking apologized, reimbursed us for the Visas and gave us a very generous credit toward another cruise. I brought it up because someone was traveling through Istanbul with tight connections to make them aware that it might be a problem for them.

We have made five Viking cruises since 2009...China, Russia, Egypt, Ukraine, and back to China last year. We have thoroughly enjoyed every trip, but for entirely different reasons. 2009...China has culture, scenery, and very warm friendly people that want to become your friend.

2010...Russia has museums, historical sites, and the crew was the most sophisticated of any cruise. Russians do not chit chat culturally, so you must break through the barrier. We received personalized attention that was unbelievable because we took the time to learn Cyrillic and enough Russian to be polite. Last year one of the young Russian ladies asked us to make short video for a couple getting married. The young ladies have since graduated from college one with a Master's Degree in Korean. We are Facebook friends with the staff we sat with during our meals to stay in touch. Alas...there are no longer Russians in the dining room, replaced by Filipinos because their personalities are more suited to Western tastes based upon the feedback Viking received from it's clientele.

2011...Ukraine has world class sites on the Black Sea and farmland in it's interior. The people are warm and friendly...the crew on the ship was our favorite of any of our cruises. They have a natural sense of humor and do everything to please you. We laughed through every meal with them. It was the first cruise where my wife started learning new words of the language in order to communicate with the staff whose tables we sat at.

These three young ladies are cousins...Katya and Nastya(Anastasia) should still be onboard...girls on the outside. Alyona has moved to Denmark with her fiance. We are also Facebook friends with two of them to stay in touch.

IMG_5876-S.jpg

2011...Egypt. Viking only contracts a local guide/cruise director and you are on a ship with many different tours and nationalities so it's a different experience. Obviously the history and cultural are incredible, the Egyptians are very friendly towards Americans. But, it's not a meet the people experience.

2012...China again...a much more rewarding experience the second time because we knew what to expect and embraced the people and the country warts and all. We still knew at least six crew members from 2009 so we were treated like royalty. We went out with crew members to get a personal tour of China and eat more like a local.

I would do the Ukraine and China cruises again in a heartbeat for the interaction of the people we met along the way. And, Russia if the Russian crews returned. That is how incredible our experiences were visiting these countries. That is why I always encourage people to interact. The rewards are incredible if you like to learn about people and culture.

We create a photo of our important information, account and phone numbers to take with us to make it easier in case something terrible does happen.

Bob%20passport0012-S.jpg

Each of us has the others information as well as a contact at home should the need arise. It's an easy way to provide positive identification when trying to get the missing items replaced. The same way with any important prescriptions you may have.

Some thoughts about packing:

Don't stress. If you forget something, you will manage. The only thing that you have to worry about is your drug box. Anything else either you don't need it, you won't miss it or it can be replaced there.

Do I need bug spray?

For those going in April and May, this is what I observed. I can't tell you what later in the season will bring.

Not for touring and walking around the town. Mosquitoes were never an issue on our sailing. However, sailing on the river, there are the little bugs to contend with. They will cover the exterior surfaces and they will get into your cabin if you open the windows but they didn't seem to be interested in people.

It's definitely 68. (Just wondering what that could possibly mean - 'in later years.')

With my father born in 1912 and his brother the year before, I'm 'guesstimating' my grandparents wedding year as approximately 1910.

I met someone from the State Department today, who was just stationed in Ukraine for 2 years. I decided that was fate - I'd ask him what he thought of me going to Ukraine by myself, didn't tell him how old I was, but he could look at me and make his own judgement, told him that I would be picked up in Kiev, put on the ship, that I wouldn't wander off the tour, and that I'd be taken to the airport in Odessa, mentioned Viking specifically - and if he told me that he thought it wasn't safe, I'd cancel. Instead he told me that his parents, who are in their 70s came to visit him while he was there and they went off by themselves from Kiev to Odessa, without a tour and did fine on their own.

So, I'm going! I'm going to call Viking next Monday or Tuesday - I like to cut things close! - and charge the balance and - more good fortune or fate (you be the judge) - a brochure arrived in the mail today from a travel insurance company, so I'm going to call them and compare them to American Express, although I'm leaning towards using American Express.

So: I will be going to Ukraine 99 years after my grandparents left and I will be the first person in the family to go back there.

I'm going to think about using google earth to find the address of the photo shop, not sure I want to look at it right away though, and may look into finding a historian/geneologist to meet me during the free time I'll have in Odessa.

Looking forward to this. There's no need to tell my son about this yet, he wanted me to cancel, but since the State Department man told me there's very little street crime, I'll break it to my son when the time is right, and I have a year and 4 months to get ready! :)

Maybe your son can join you on this historic trip.

[qu;););) Thanks Peregrina! I'm so excited too!!! Almost packed!!!!!

ote=Peregrina651;38042775]

Drum Roll, Please!!!!!! :D

The first 2013 sailing starts on April 21.

WooHoo!!

Last chance to post any questions for Oceanlady to look into while she is on board.

To add some additional information to what Peregrina has been providing to this thread. Any European Union country, including Austria, allows travel freely between themselves and other EU countries and the US. Traveling in Europe is much like going between states in the US now. The countries that require a Visa which you may encounter during a Viking cruise are Russia, China, Turkey, Egypt and Jordan.

Our TA is married to an Ukrainian citizen so she is very familiar with the region. She double checked with Viking about the Visa requirements and told us before hand that she was not comfortable with their response, but getting a Turkish Visa only requires standing in line and paying $20. It's not like going to Russia or China where you must satisfy immigration requirements to enter the country. It was not a big deal, but when we told her that a Visa was in fact required she immediately contacted the Viking regional rep because she was embarrassed about the situation. Viking apologized, reimbursed us for the Visas and gave us a very generous credit toward another cruise. I brought it up because someone was traveling through Istanbul with tight connections to make them aware that it might be a problem for them.

We have made five Viking cruises since 2009...China, Russia, Egypt, Ukraine, and back to China last year. We have thoroughly enjoyed every trip, but for entirely different reasons. 2009...China has culture, scenery, and very warm friendly people that want to become your friend.

2010...Russia has museums, historical sites, and the crew was the most sophisticated of any cruise. Russians do not chit chat culturally, so you must break through the barrier. We received personalized attention that was unbelievable because we took the time to learn Cyrillic and enough Russian to be polite. Last year one of the young Russian ladies asked us to make short video for a couple getting married. The young ladies have since graduated from college one with a Master's Degree in Korean. We are Facebook friends with the staff we sat with during our meals to stay in touch. Alas...there are no longer Russians in the dining room, replaced by Filipinos because their personalities are more suited to Western tastes based upon the feedback Viking received from it's clientele.

2011...Ukraine has world class sites on the Black Sea and farmland in it's interior. The people are warm and friendly...the crew on the ship was our favorite of any of our cruises. They have a natural sense of humor and do everything to please you. We laughed through every meal with them. It was the first cruise where my wife started learning new words of the language in order to communicate with the staff whose tables we sat at.

These three young ladies are cousins...Katya and Nastya(Anastasia) should still be onboard...girls on the outside. Alyona has moved to Denmark with her fiance. We are also Facebook friends with two of them to stay in touch.

IMG_5876-S.jpg

2011...Egypt. Viking only contracts a local guide/cruise director and you are on a ship with many different tours and nationalities so it's a different experience. Obviously the history and cultural are incredible, the Egyptians are very friendly towards Americans. But, it's not a meet the people experience.

2012...China again...a much more rewarding experience the second time because we knew what to expect and embraced the people and the country warts and all. We still knew at least six crew members from 2009 so we were treated like royalty. We went out with crew members to get a personal tour of China and eat more like a local.

I would do the Ukraine and China cruises again in a heartbeat for the interaction of the people we met along the way. And, Russia if the Russian crews returned. That is how incredible our experiences were visiting these countries. That is why I always encourage people to interact. The rewards are incredible if you like to learn about people and culture.

We create a photo of our important information, account and phone numbers to take with us to make it easier in case something terrible does happen.

Bob%20passport0012-S.jpg

Each of us has the others information as well as a contact at home should the need arise. It's an easy way to provide positive identification when trying to get the missing items replaced. The same way with any important prescriptions you may have.

THank you, Kohola! I appreciate all your great info and praise of Viking! Can't wait, leave this Sat! I have also river cruised on a different ship to Egypt, and LOVED that trip and had no trouble getting in and out of the country and have traveled extensively through Europe without a hitch. Now I understand the VISA issue that you had. Great. No worries now!

Also, thanks for great idea of putting everything on a page so you both have valuable info in case needed. Just did that for us. Also, love the pix of the girls on the Ukraine ship. Hope to see them soon!!!!!

:D;)

:Duote=ocean999;38043568]THank you, Kohola! I appreciate all your great info and praise of Viking! Can't wait, leave this Sat! I have also river cruised on a different ship to Egypt, and LOVED that trip and had no trouble getting in and out of the country and have traveled extensively through Europe without a hitch. Now I understand the VISA issue that you had. Great. No worries now!

Thanks Peregrina for all of your help and guidance! Can't believe car comes to get us soon! I put our important info on my phone to keep it safe. We did make copies, but a little nervous keeping that around....

Anyway, I will try and post here during the trip. Hopefully, my iphone will work great on ship! So darn excited!!!

Hey, ocean!!!

It is here at last.

Bon voyage!!!

Post while you are traveling if you can.

From Oceanlady aboard the Lomonosov, with her permission. She finally has wifi service.

Hi folks. Having a great, amazing time on our cruise. Few setbacks, one being no wifi for 3 days til now. Other is Opera house is closed until May 5. So no ballet or Opera. But, we may go to classical concert and will go to see a local Black sea Fleet band. Tomorrow we will be in Zaporozhye for cossacks horseman show and famous teatime of chefs pastries. Food, people, sites are all great!!!

Also, rooms all have hair dryers in desk, slipfree mats in shower, flat screen small tvs.

More from Ocean:

Just a look at dinner on this ship. Cuisine is absolutely divine.

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f100966%5fAJsl5C4AAV4lUXoYbAuVy07VLhQ&pid=2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Also, if there is too much noise for you to rest, probably best to make a room change as soon as you can. Once I took a bit more control, the room change occurred instantly. [Note: The lady in the cabin next door had a hacking cough that went on all night long.]

Pirate Night was totally fun @ dinner with staff in great costume and some guests as well. DH & I dressed in black & since I had no scarves with me, I wore some jewelry to look pirately, or at least like a gypsy.

Heading toward Sevastopol today. Looking forward to shopping & Palace plus gardens. More to come. Silkismom have any Questions for me?

Ocean

[sorry about the sideway image but it is copied right out of Ocean's e-mail.]

Edited by Peregrina651

Money--have you changed to Ukrainian or do shops take USD or Euros? Also what about tipping on the ship. I think I saw that shipboard charges are in Euros.

Also, other than on this board, did you do any investigating for this trip and was it needed?

Are you flying home via Vienna, if so let me know about the hotel there and what you did.

Thanks and continue to enjoy your trip.

Silkismom, I just forwarded your post to Ocean. It is bedtime over there now, so I don't expect a reply until tomorrow (unless she is burning the midnight oil).

I can tell you that the shipboard currency is UAH, not euros. By law, your credit card will be charged in UAH. Also, there is no money exchange on the ship; you can't even break a large bill.

Edited by Peregrina651

LOL, she is burning the midnight oil!

Hiya,

Very few places seem to take us dollars, but some do & a few more take Euros. The tour guides make sure you have time to hit the ATMs & banks, so don't worry. I've already been to 2 banks & 1 atm. I didn't research anything other than Peregrina's great blog and CC. I will let u know @ ship charges but all seem to be in UAH. More later. Khan Palace and optional Balaklava tomorrow!!!

Ocean

Ps Sevastopol is very lovely town. We walked around it tonite and went out for drinks

We started in Kiev. There is an ATM across from the church. Went and asked for 500 UAH. It gave me 1 note so I went to the connected bank. They don't have any money there, so down the street was another bank and they did break the bill. Other ATM's did give smaller bills.

We started in Kiev. There is an ATM across from the church. Went and asked for 500 UAH. It gave me 1 note so I went to the connected bank. They don't have any money there, so down the street was another bank and they did break the bill. Other ATM's did give smaller bills.

That is a pain in the neck! We ran into that problem on another trip. But I had read somewhere that instead of asking for 500, ask for 490 or 480 (if the machine will let you). That way, the ATM is forced to give you smaller bills.

BTW, which church?

Edited by Peregrina651

More from Ocean:

[Referring to the optional Balaklava tour:] Unless you are totally into walking underground in tunnels & submarine memorabilia, you may want to skip this tour.

Also. WC @ Crimean war art museum are Asian " hole" toilets for 2 haus [?]. I need vodka tasting!!!

[Ocean is on her iPhone. I've corrected the typos except for the last one which I can't figure out.]