Death on cruise and travel insurance

Beach1

I don't mean to be morbid but we are getting up in age. My wife asked me the other day what would she do if I died on a trip or if she did. What do we do, We always have travel guard insurance. Do they take care of you or what does the ship do? Death certificate? how do they get body home? If anyone has had this experience we would appreciate any insight into how it was done. Many thanks in advance.

I don't know about other ships, but when we went on the Ultimate Ship's Tour on the Crown Princess, one of the stops was the medical center. There is a "morgue" consisting of a large refrigerator in the back of a storage closet; it has enough capacity for three bodies.

For transport home, I imagine it would either dropped off at the nearest port, where you would make your own arrangements (with the assistance of the consulate for your country and/or your trip insurance company), or dropped off at the emarkation port, if that happens to be your country of citizenship. I believe all medevac insurance includes transportation of remains, so finances shouldn't be a problem.

I am going to take a wild guess that the ship itself can issue a death certificate, which would be backed up by the appropriate paperwork at the next port, along with some kind of form from the consulate (if that next port happens to be a foreign country for you.)

In terms of the travel insurance be sure to read over the policy which will detail what the coverage is.

Ships do have a morgue. It's something that they won't highlight in the brochure. Ships have to report all deaths. If it happens in port they will have local authorities come onto the ship and if at sea will do this at the next port.

Keith

Thanks for the kind response; I was doing research on this when I posted this message; Someone from Travel Guard got back to me and assured me they have a special unit that takes care of you in case of death until they return you and yoiur spouse home. This was a subject I had never thought about until my wife brought it up. We are both relieved with what you and others have given us. Many thanks.

Thanks for the kind response; I was doing research on this when I posted this message; Someone from Travel Guard got back to me and assured me they have a special unit that takes care of you in case of death until they return you and yoiur spouse home. This was a subject I had never thought about until my wife brought it up. We are both relieved with what you and others have given us. Many thanks.

And we all hope the both of you have many more cruises to come...

Archived