Planning for Antartica cruise

mj_holiday

DH and I want to do an Antiartica cruise the 2013-2014 season. How many months/years before the cruise should we start pricing and reviewing cruises. It seems the various cruise lines come out with their itineraries on different schedules. We are looking at Compagnie de Ponant, Silver Explorer, Hapog-Lloyd or Huntigruten.

We booked in December 2010 for January 2012. The smaller ships fill up very fast and previous customers get the first opportunity to book. Our TA kept an eye on when the Silver Sea cruises for 2012 would become available to the general public and notified us immediately.

I would say go ahead and do your research now, so that you know which ship is your preferred experience. Then look for when that itinerary is made available, usually at least a year in advance. As DPW says, they fill up quickly.

As info, we did the trip on Silver Explorer, and they did a fantastic job. I would definitely travel with them again to Antarctica (we just got back from a trip to SE Asia with them), but I confess the Boreal and Austral ships look nice, even though they are larger than the Explorer. Whatever you do, you are correct to be looking at the small ships with Zodiacs.

It's a stunning trip, and we were very happy going in January when there were plenty of penguin chicks and whales. You will love it!

Can someone explain why Ponant's rate is only half (for selected sailings ) comparing to Silversea Explorer or National Geographic Explorer, for the same number of days and itinerary ? That is a huge saving if a family of 3 or 4 are going. The reason for more passengers, so less landing time, cannot alone do this justification, right ?

Archived