Orphanage Donations - Declaring items

mostofus

I have contacted an orphanage, I told them I had a suitcase full of stuff to bring to them. They were grateful but they told me to make sure that I declare the items before hand, so that I don't have trouble getting off the ship that morning.

Can anyone give me any info on what this means? Since this is a first experience for me, I have never heard of this. Thank you!

Are you bringing in tons of electronics like computers or medicine?

That might be something you need to declare.

You should check that with the country where the orphanage is located.

IF you are only bringing clothing or books or pencils/paper etc. then I have never heard of that needing to be "declared"!

Are you bringing in tons of electronics like computers or medicine?

That might be something you need to declare.

You should check that with the country where the orphanage is located.

IF you are only bringing clothing or books or pencils/paper etc. then I have never heard of that needing to be "declared"!

You are importing it .. so it would be subject to customs. Thats why you dont get off with a obvious suitcase.

I have contacted an orphanage, I told them I had a suitcase full of stuff to bring to them. They were grateful but they told me to make sure that I declare the items before hand, so that I don't have trouble getting off the ship that morning.

Can anyone give me any info on what this means? Since this is a first experience for me, I have never heard of this. Thank you!

We recently took a couple of large suitcases full of items to an orphanage on Roatan during our cruise on the Legend. We too were advised to declare the items. I checked with guest services the night before we arrived and they provided me with a form to fill out. Basically it just needed what organization we were donating to and a list of the items. We also had to go to the card room in the morning while customs was clearing the ship. It only took a couple of minutes. Roatan allows items being donated to enter the country without paying any taxes or fees. We were stopped getting off the ship by ship personnel and had to show the approved paperwork before we could take the suitcases off. It was all worth it although that hill was a real trek!!!! DH said that next time maybe we will just donate money ;):) I hope you have a great trip and wonderful experience at the orphanage.

Archived