Difference between Australian and American style cruising

Ok Sutho,

I have sat back and ignored your juvinille ranting, but that comment is rude and disrespectful - pull your head in or I'm sure that I and plenty of others here will do all that we can to have you removed from this board. That sort of comment is just not on.

Hey my call was pretty fair! Dont play dirty if you dont want to get dirty. I will respond in kind to others.

People

Having frequented this forum for a few years - I have gotten much enjoyment out of it, have met a few fellow cruise fanatics and I have gotten a lot of info from it , not only in this sub-forum but in a few others.

Over the years, we have had a few fools come along - and I have to admit that they can be infuriating. However, this Forum is valuable to me - I don't wish to not be part of it because of some fool who has the ability to get under my skin ....

So, I use the "Ignore list" . After that, the fool of the moment ceases to exist in my online world . Poof !

Try it - you will like it - and don't put your ability to use this Forum at risk by trying to converse logically with fools.

PS The "Ignore list" works across the whole spectrum of CC sub-forums

Barry

You know what the funny thing is. That my cruise history and number of nights on cruise ships eclipses people more than twice my age who think they know better and only resort to childish name calling.

My description of P&O Australia and its fleet of rust bucket hand-me-down ships is fair reasonable and completely true. The only peopel to take exception to a description like that are the type of people who do not have a life, do not have friends apart from on the computer screen and are unable to accept anyone elses opinion.

I have said in the past I would not waste my money booking on P&O Australia. I answered the original posters question very fairly.

The other thing that I have not mentioned is that if they were to try Celebrity down here you could guarantee that it will not be filled with the masses that you find on P&O Australia as they would never be able to afford it.

When Celebrity sells to Australians it will attract a more sophisticated, refined type of passenger who likes cruising for shipboard life and entertainment as well as travel and tourism.

P&O Australia has had a reputation for many years for attracting yobbbos only out for a gambling booze cruise similar to what Carnival offers the US market. That is the type of demographic that P&O Australia appeals to. They have had their reputation smashed in recent years by the brimble murder/gang yobbo mentality onboard. They have tried in vain to turn their reputation around, but they have not had the product (ships) available to appeal to the more sophisticated/refined passenger that enjoys cruising for what it is.

P&O Australia can easily be compared to the cheap, short booze cruises out of the US that Carnival does - ideal for the masses who like to spin the pokies, drink till they throw up and turn up to meal in thongs, singlets and shorts. Those type of people you will never find on a longer Princess cruise, a P&O UK cruise, a HAL cruise and a Celebrity cruise.

The people that are die hard P&O Australia fans are nothing but desperate miserable people that will shoot down anyone who they think is not one of them. We have seen it all here as soon as you criticise P&O Australia, mention lenyards and anything else they seem to imagine is an insult, they will come out swinging like some mentally disturbed individual.

There is a reason why no international passengers will sail with P&O Australia and it has allot to do with the above. They want a cruise holiday, not a cheap booze binge.

Can you please remind me how to put someone on "ignore list". I have done it in the past for one annoying poster - works wonders. But I forget how I did it, and where to find it.

At the top of a thread, you can see "UserCP". Click on that , and then on the page that comes up, on the left side is "Edit ignore list"

The main reason I have mentioned this is that I know of some posters who have been banned from these Forums because they have unwisely and unwittingly allowed themselves to be "sucked in" by obnoxious posters - and have therefore lost their enjoyment of these forums.

Barry

You know what the funny thing is. That my cruise history and number of nights on cruise ships eclipses people more than twice my age who think they know better and only resort to childish name calling.

My description of P&O Australia and its fleet of rust bucket hand-me-down ships is fair reasonable and completely true. The only peopel to take exception to a description like that are the type of people who do not have a life, do not have friends apart from on the computer screen and are unable to accept anyone elses opinion.

I have said in the past I would not waste my money booking on P&O Australia. I answered the original posters question very fairly.

The other thing that I have not mentioned is that if they were to try Celebrity down here you could guarantee that it will not be filled with the masses that you find on P&O Australia as they would never be able to afford it.

When Celebrity sells to Australians it will attract a more sophisticated, refined type of passenger who likes cruising for shipboard life and entertainment as well as travel and tourism.

P&O Australia has had a reputation for many years for attracting yobbbos only out for a gambling booze cruise similar to what Carnival offers the US market. That is the type of demographic that P&O Australia appeals to. They have had their reputation smashed in recent years by the brimble murder/gang yobbo mentality onboard. They have tried in vain to turn their reputation around, but they have not had the product (ships) available to appeal to the more sophisticated/refined passenger that enjoys cruising for what it is.

P&O Australia can easily be compared to the cheap, short booze cruises out of the US that Carnival does - ideal for the masses who like to spin the pokies, drink till they throw up and turn up to meal in thongs, singlets and shorts. Those type of people you will never find on a longer Princess cruise, a P&O UK cruise, a HAL cruise and a Celebrity cruise.

The people that are die hard P&O Australia fans are nothing but desperate miserable people that will shoot down anyone who they think is not one of them. We have seen it all here as soon as you criticise P&O Australia, mention lenyards and anything else they seem to imagine is an insult, they will come out swinging like some mentally disturbed individual.

There is a reason why no international passengers will sail with P&O Australia and it has allot to do with the above. They want a cruise holiday, not a cheap booze binge.

You have made some incredibly sweeping generalisations. The people who I know personally who enjoy cruising on P&O don't fall into the categories you mention.

Your description of P&O cruises is way behind the times. It would probably be a fair description of the old Fairstar cruises, but certainly isn't so today.

We have cruised for 16-17 weeks on Princess and completed around 25 cruises on P&O, and frankly there isn't an enormous amount of difference. If you haven't cruised on Princess, maybe you shouldn't try it.

What is that matter with you, you are an embarrassment to yourself and fellow cruisers.

I am so pleased to see you are not on my cruise down under next February!

DISCLAIMER

The opinions expressed by one particular poster are not necessarily the opinions and attitudes of the majority of Australian cruisers. :D:D:D

I don't want overseas cruisers to form a negative opinion of Australian cruisers from the posts on this thread.

LOL, no worries there!

DISCLAIMER

The opinions expressed by one particular poster are not necessarily the opinions and attitudes of the majority of Australian cruisers. :D:D:D

I don't want overseas cruisers to form a negative opinion of Australian cruisers from the posts on this thread.

The wise overseas cruiser will know and understand that every Nation has a small minority of people who do not serve their Nation well. I guess cruise forums are no different. I am just so glad that most of the Australians I cruise with are friendly and non-judgmental.

I think someone needs a hug :( Having read Tony's links he has kindly posted in his signature he states he's only ever travelled on his own, until the 2 night Radiance with his nobody knows actor/model friend........poor Tony :(

Okey dokey..............so what's the topic again? Ahhh yes difference between Americanism, Australianism and Yobboism Cruising :p

A few years ago there was a Novocastrian contribitor to these boards who provided thoughtful, non controversal opinion on all matters cruising.

Geoff was always a delight to discuss topics with, and I found myself thinking that perhaps Newcastle has some sophistication about it.

Unfortunately, and for reasons I do not fathom, Geoff has had to move on.

The recent verbage on this forum has also unfortunately made me re-assess my ideas about Newcastle and the folk from there.

so be it

What is that matter with you, you are an embarrassment to yourself and fellow cruisers.

I am so pleased to see you are not on my cruise down under next February!

For the record all this garbage was caused by gutless trouble makers who have since high tailed it out of here.

I gave my opinion very early on. Unfortunately a disrespectfull coward resorted to name calling and personal insults (some of his posts have been removed, he then resorted to stalking my other posts on the site), others joined in and the situation flared up.

I have cruised allot and know allot about ships. Just because I choose not to sail with P&O Australia does not make my opinion any less valid.

You have made some incredibly sweeping generalisations. The people who I know personally who enjoy cruising on P&O don't fall into the categories you mention.

Your description of P&O cruises is way behind the times. It would probably be a fair description of the old Fairstar cruises, but certainly isn't so today.

We have cruised for 16-17 weeks on Princess and completed around 25 cruises on P&O, and frankly there isn't an enormous amount of difference. If you haven't cruised on Princess, maybe you shouldn't try it.

Already tried Princess - very close to P&O UK, some differences, good line to sail on for short cruises.

P&O UK are the experts on World Cruising and they have me hooked there.

I think someone needs a hug :( Having read Tony's links he has kindly posted in his signature he states he's only ever travelled on his own, until the 2 night Radiance with his nobody knows actor/model friend........poor Tony :(

Okey dokey..............so what's the topic again? Ahhh yes difference between Americanism, Australianism and Yobboism Cruising :p

Youtube commedy channel/balls of steel Australia - you have 3 girls on that show to choose from.

Already tried Princess - very close to P&O UK, some differences, good line to sail on for short cruises.

P&O UK are the experts on World Cruising and they have me hooked there.

Having cruised a lot on P&O Aust and also Princess, I feel there isn't an enormous difference between them, particularly if I compare (for instance) the Sun/Dawn Princess with Pacific Dawn/Jewel/Pearl. As we know Pac Sun is smaller and older (but still has a great atmosphere).

The passengers are the same group of people and many swap happily between Princess and P&O.

Princess ships are a bit fancier and 'glitzier' and now that P&O have changed formal nights to cocktail nights, people don't dress up quite so much on these occasions.

I can't compare P&O Aust with P&O UK because I haven't cruised with them. :)

Having cruised a lot on P&O Aust and also Princess, I feel there isn't an enormous difference between them, particularly if I compare (for instance) the Sun/Dawn Princess with Pacific Dawn/Jewel/Pearl. As we know Pac Sun is smaller and older (but still has a great atmosphere).

The passengers are the same group of people and many swap happily between Princess and P&O.

Princess ships are a bit fancier and 'glitzier' and now that P&O have changed formal nights to cocktail nights, people don't dress up quite so much on these occasions.

Well...... I have cruised on all three and I like all three. I have also cruised on Celebrity and I like Celebrity...... heck I just like cruising - BUT - the cruise is made all the more memorable when you have people cruising with you who are nice and friendly and down to earth. Every cruise has it's idiots and pretentious gits (ie snobs) and those are the ones I choose not to associate with. It doesn't mean that the cruiseline is more pretentious and snobby, it is the people who cruise on them that try to make it that way.

There is also a noticable difference between the Sun class ships (Sun, Dawn, Sea Princess) compared to the others in the Princess fleet.

The Sun class started all the glitz with Princess. The Grand class are basically an enlarged version with more deck space and passenger facilities.

There is honestly worlds of difference between the Sun class and the Grand class. Oceana with P&O UK used to be Ocean Princess until P&O took it before the Carnival merger.

I found the atmosphere in P&O UK is similar to Princess - P&O UK are more strict with dress codes and I find the service allot better. I find the Grand class with Princess are far more fancy inside and more generous with deck facilities than P&O UK.

I can have just a good a time with Princess as I do on P&O UK. What I have loved about Princess is the fact I can lay out on deck all day, swim, go up order a pizza, burger and chips from the deck grill anytime, go hard in the gym in the evening and party into the night.

There is also a noticable difference between the Sun class ships (Sun, Dawn, Sea Princess) compared to the others in the Princess fleet.

The Sun class started all the glitz with Princess. The Grand class are basically an enlarged version with more deck space and passenger facilities.

There is honestly worlds of difference between the Sun class and the Grand class. Oceana with P&O UK used to be Ocean Princess until P&O took it before the Carnival merger.

I found the atmosphere in P&O UK is similar to Princess - P&O UK are more strict with dress codes and I find the service allot better. I find the Grand class with Princess are far more fancy inside and more generous with deck facilities than P&O UK.

I can have just a good a time with Princess as I do on P&O UK. What I have loved about Princess is the fact I can lay out on deck all day, swim, go up order a pizza, burger and chips from the deck grill anytime, go hard in the gym in the evening and party into the night.

I advise you not to go on HAL and not on Princess (Aust) if you like to party into the night. On cruises out of Australia, P&O is the cruiseline for people who like to party. :D:D

HAL shuts down at 9pm and Princess at 11pm.:D(OK - I'm generalising, but that is the rough idea!)

I advise you not to go on HAL and not on Princess (Aust) if you like to party into the night. On cruises out of Australia, P&O is the cruiseline for people who like to party. :D:D

HAL shuts down at 9pm and Princess at 11pm.:D(OK - I'm generalising, but that is the rough idea!)

I noticed that about Princess. I was lucky back in 2005 as there were a handfull of people my age that all met up in Skywalkers each night.

I said earlier that I didnt think HAL would suit my style (that comment was ignored by the trouble that took exception to saying the same about P&O Australia).

Also on P&O UK the discos and dances are operating well and truely into the early hours. Even the oldies get involved, crew, officers and everyone.

"Difference between Australian and American style cruising" by Cruise Arizona.

I thought commenting on this thread would in some small way assist this enquiry. Oh dear how wrong I was! My email has been filled with brainless, self opinionated rantings. The only thing I am thankful for is when I chose my "name" I misspelled it and it ends in an A, not an O as intended. The Australian way, end it with an O and it = YOBBO. Sorry I signed up, almost ashamed to be Australian, I'm out of here. :(

Getting back to the topic......1 of the differences I see is the tipping issue. Americans are use to tipping and it appears Aussie are not as well as many Europeans. Personally I am a person who does the auto tips and also tips individual crew who provide above and beyond service during the cruise. I like to smoke cigars so the waiters who keeps me in stock with my drink of choice while I enjoy my smoke get a nice extra tip and I usually tip the room steward extra also. All in all i normally give out a extra 150.00 bucks to various crew and why I do that is the auto tipping is shared and the cash I put in their pocket they get to keep all of it. While I am not super rich I budget for this so it is not an issue and I do the extra tipping all though the cruise not just at the end. I also like to notice where the crew is from and if I have been there I will talk/ask them about there home and the things I have done there :)

Archived