Dress code in Blu

louise44

Maybe "smart casual" requires a jacket for men. We cruised on Cunard twice this year, on the Queen Victoria. We did a TA and a Mediterranean cruise. Cunard is very formal. Smart casual was allowed only on the first and last night of the cruise and it was defined as "a jacket with no tie for men."

Maybe "smart casual" requires a jacket for men. We cruised on Cunard twice this year, on the Queen Victoria. We did a TA and a Mediterranean cruise. Cunard is very formal. Smart casual was allowed only on the first and last night of the cruise and it was defined as "a jacket with no tie for men."

"Smart casual" on Celebrity does not require a jacket for men.

Cruzin Canucks,

I asked this of another poster in this thread already, but didn't get an answer - did you happen to notice if your e-doc's, that you received prior to cruising, made any mention of Blu being Smart Casual all the time, or not?

I'm trying to figure out when this policy was actually first given out in writing to pax, since it just appeared on X's website a few days ago.

If it wasn't disclosed to pax on your cruise, then I don't think there is an actual problem with corporate/ship compliance. If however, your e-docs actually spelled out the lack of formal nights in Blu, and then you were made to comply with formal nights - that is the problem and the reason for this entire thread. Thanks!

It is now on the US web site.....

Regardless of what anyone posts here, I know from experience in just getting off the Eclipse that Blu is following the same dress code as the main dining room. They would not allow DH in with just a collared shirt. Argue with them if you like . . . . they will not budge on this policy.

Regardless of what anyone posts here, I know from experience in just getting off the Eclipse that Blu is following the same dress code as the main dining room. They would not allow DH in with just a collared shirt. Argue with them if you like . . . . they will not budge on this policy.

But did the dolls conform to formal dress code ...who'm I kidding, they were probably the best dressed there!! (sorry, couldn't resist). :)

I guess that depends on the "they" that you are referring to. Obviously, "they" will HAVE to budge soon, since Smart Casual is now the corporate policy.

Just looked through the e-docs for our Eclipse cruise in 2 weeks, and I don't see any reference to dress codes at all.

LibraryLady,

Page 17 of the "long version" (not the printable version) discusses dress code on my e-docs.

Am in Aqua class now on Eclipse. In Blu they enforce formal nights saying that website is a mistake, so last night men were given jackets which they were required to at least drape over their arms or put on their chair back. Argue with maitre d til you are "blu" in the face (sorry, couldn't resist)....website is wrong...he is right...is what guests are being told. I brought a blazer just in case and wore it...best to just shrug at the absurdity and move on, as DW and I are really enjoying the Eclipse, Aqua class and dining in Blu.

Am in Aqua class now on Eclipse. In Blu they enforce formal nights saying that website is a mistake, so last night men were given jackets which they were required to at least drape over their arms or put on their chair back. Argue with maitre d til you are "blu" in the face (sorry, couldn't resist)....website is wrong...he is right...is what guests are being told. I brought a blazer just in case and wore it...best to just shrug at the absurdity and move on, as DW and I are really enjoying the Eclipse, Aqua class and dining in Blu.

The Eclipse maitre d should be fired .I just got off the 11/6 Silhouette and ate in Blu every night and it was Resort Casual And Above for the duration of the cruise.I also had a copy of an E-mail from Customer sevice confirming this.How can an incompetent employee(the maitre D make policy?)

Thanks very much for the candid update. Hopefully this guy gets the memo or at least, the maitre d's on other X ships are better informed.

No way am I taking a jacket. I guess I may end up looking like an idiot carrying an old, greasy, Celebrity-lost-and-found jacket to the back of my chair...

The Eclipse maitre d should be fired .I just got off the 11/6 Silhouette and ate in Blu every night and it was Resort Casual And Above for the duration of the cruise.I also had a copy of an E-mail from Customer sevice confirming this.How can an incompetent employee(the maitre D make policy?)

Hey Spf12,

Did you happen to need to use the confirmation email as "evidence"? Or was the Silhouette crew just better informed? Hope you had a great cruise.

Further from here on the Eclipse, to further confuse things, the asst matre in Blu told me that before we left Miami on Saturday a "senior" Celebrity executive stopped by the ship and confirmed to the Blu maitre d that formal nights should still be observed in Blu and the website confirming smart casual is in error and will be changed. It was at that point that I stopped arguing and decided it wasn't worth the energy or stress. Of course, all of this makes the company appear absurd and it is rude and demeaning to guests to tell them in advance how to pack then change the rules and imply that they are the ones that are in error and must wear the used jackets (which is also pretty gross in addition to being demeaning.)

Seems to me that some go to much more effort and lengths to avoid a formal dress code rather than participate with the appropriate attire. Can you really not be bothered put that much effort on yourself? I believe a post earlier in the thread mentioned that it is enforced as it annoys the people who do dress up. Does it annoy or sadden me to see jeans on someone during formal night, yes. Does it "ruin my evening"? nope. I'll tell you why it bothers me....

1. There is so much ugliness in this country, so much meanness and laziness. There is general lack of concern about one's weight/health, appearance, and the attitude they give off to others. For just one night, put on a fancy dress/suit, do your hair, put on a smile and put a little beauty out there into the world.

2. Looking good for yourself and your spouse keeps the spark and intimacy going. Putting some effort into how you look on your spouses arm shows them you care (about yourself and them).

In general, on formal nights everyone seems to be a little nicer, a little brighter, and a little happier to be all together sharing a beautiful evening....

K

Seems to me that some go to much more effort and lengths to avoid a formal dress code rather than participate with the appropriate attire. Can you really not be bothered put that much effort on yourself?

K

You are so missing the point. Celebrity has confirmed online that you do not have to dress in formal attire in Blu on formal nights. Eclipse seems to have not gotten the memo.

To say "Seems to me that some go to much more effort and lengths to avoid a formal dress code rather than participate with the appropriate attire" is nonsense. Folks eating in Blu are indeed following the dress code for Blu, but the Eclipse staff are not with the program.

Fight your battle on MDR threads, not on specialty restaurants and Blu where formal attire is not required.

Just returned from the November 1st Century cruise to Hawaii. No AQ on that ship, but Celebrity seems to be enforcing the formal dress code in the MDR. On two formal nights, I saw two gentlemen being told that the dress code was formal attire, and both were asked to return wearing a jacket. Both left the MDR. I don't know if they had jackets that they could put on, or if they decided to go to different venues. I didn't see them being offered jackets.

Hey Spf12,

Did you happen to need to use the confirmation email as "evidence"? Or was the Silhouette crew just better informed? Hope you had a great cruise.

They were better informed; no need to show the e-mail.

They were better informed; no need to show the e-mail.

Ok, good. At least some of the crew have a clue. I'm on Solstice coming up, and haven't heard a report from anyone sailing on her recently.

Well, I'm armed with my e-doc page and the Caribbean brochure that states this. We'll see...

We also just returned from 12 day Caribbean on Silhouett, were in Aqua Class, ate in Blu each night, DH did not have a jackett. I called before we sailed and was told that the Specialty Restaurants are always smart casual and above every night even formal nights. Enjoy your cruise;)

lovethesun30 - you get that sunbathing causes premature wrinkles and skin cancer - makes you look much older and worse than not dressing formal....right?

hmm, you get that your post is an outright attack aimed at one person...right? Likely that was your intent. That's ok. I'll put on my shades and deflect that. :cool:

My tag name is "Love the Sun", not "Love Sunbathing". I love the sun and my SPF 30! wear it everyday! Can't wait to see some rays when it finally peeks out again in the Pacific NW! Might be months now. Yippee for my upcoming cruise in the islands!

And I'm not "fighting a battle". More like giving an opinion that it seems like more effort to avoid formal dress than put a little extra into the general ambiance of a special evening (whatever "dining room" you are in). Hoping I cited a couple reasons that might resonate with a few folks. I love looking at everyone's outfits! I'm totally in love with the older guys in the blue tuxes or suits with bowties They make me smile.

hmm, you get that your post is an outright attack aimed at one person...right? Likely that was your intent. That's ok. I'll put on my shades and deflect that. :cool:

My tag name is "Love the Sun", not "Love Sunbathing". I love the sun and my SPF 30! wear it everyday! Can't wait to see some rays when it finally peeks out again in the Pacific NW! Might be months now. Yippee for my upcoming cruise in the islands!

And I'm not "fighting a battle". More like giving an opinion that it seems like more effort to avoid formal dress than put a little extra into the general ambiance of a special evening (whatever "dining room" you are in). Hoping I cited a couple reasons that might resonate with a few folks. I love looking at everyone's outfits! I'm totally in love with the older guys in the blue tuxes or suits with bowties They make me smile.

Whatever the reason for giving your opinion, it is completely off-topic in this thread. This is not a dress code thread, it is a thread that has been discussing the enforcement of the change to the dress code in Blu.

lovethesun - i really wasn't intending to take a personal jab at you and am sorry if it came off that way - what i stated are medical facts - sun exposure causes premature aging and skin cancer. I am a physician and a skin cancer (melanoma) surivor so i know what i am talking about - here is another medical fact for you - an spf of 30 is not NEAR enough to protect you from the damaging effects of sun exposure nor is there any such thing as a safe suntan. I love the Caribbean as much as anyone else - I love seeing sunshine and swimming in the warm water and smelling the salt air - I am, however, always careful to sit in the shade and wear my 6 inch brimmed spf 85 hat.

as far as the other point - it matters not what you think about dressing up - X has changed their policy with regard to Blu - I personally paid extra for my room because i don't like to dress up and i don't particularly like to see others dress up (it feels pretentious to me), though i don't fault anyone who enjoys dressing up and it makes no impact on my overall enjoyment of my vacation. Last year on the Summit, we chose specialty dining to avoid dressing up - this year, we chose AQ. For us, vacation is about relaxing and dressing up isn't relaxing. Crusing is the most cost effective way for us to do that - plus we just like the variety. I ALWAYS follow the dress code - even if i don't like it. But, i won't be forced/guilted into doing more because someone thinks it is ruining the cruising experience to see me in a sundress or slacks instead of a gown.

X has changed the policy - i won't bring dress up clothes - and yes, i would be fuming if i were refused service in Blu because someone on the ship didn't get the message - again, because I paid extra for that privilege and I am following the stated and written guidelines. I WILL be printing off the documentation and bringing it with me and will ask to speak to a manager if declined seating.

lovethesun - i really wasn't intending to take a personal jab at you and am sorry if it came off that way - what i stated are medical facts - sun exposure causes premature aging and skin cancer. I am a physician and a skin cancer (melanoma) surivor so i know what i am talking about - here is another medical fact for you - an spf of 30 is not NEAR enough to protect you from the damaging effects of sun exposure nor is there any such thing as a safe suntan. I love the Caribbean as much as anyone else - I love seeing sunshine and swimming in the warm water and smelling the salt air - I am, however, always careful to sit in the shade and wear my 6 inch brimmed spf 85 hat.

as far as the other point - it matters not what you think about dressing up - X has changed their policy with regard to Blu - I personally paid extra for my room because i don't like to dress up and i don't particularly like to see others dress up (it feels pretentious to me), though i don't fault anyone who enjoys dressing up and it makes no impact on my overall enjoyment of my vacation. Last year on the Summit, we chose specialty dining to avoid dressing up - this year, we chose AQ. For us, vacation is about relaxing and dressing up isn't relaxing. Crusing is the most cost effective way for us to do that - plus we just like the variety. I ALWAYS follow the dress code - even if i don't like it. But, i won't be forced/guilted into doing more because someone thinks it is ruining the cruising experience to see me in a sundress or slacks instead of a gown.

X has changed the policy - i won't bring dress up clothes - and yes, i would be fuming if i were refused service in Blu because someone on the ship didn't get the message - again, because I paid extra for that privilege and I am following the stated and written guidelines. I WILL be printing off the documentation and bringing it with me and will ask to speak to a manager if declined seating.

As a Melanoma survivor, I agree with you completely about the sun. That is one reason I love the Aqua Spa on the S class ships. I agree also to follow the guidelines and have always done so no matter what they were.

Archived