Rome Review - How we covered all of Rome in a day on our own

VirtualRain

The museums take up far more time, for most visitors, than the basilica. If you focus just on the basilica you'll have plenty of time for other parts of Rome.

We are 4 active seniors who will be in port in early Oct. Our cruise ship doesn't leave until midnight, so we are thinking of traveling by train from port to Rome. We already have tickets for the 3 p.m. Scavi Tour and of course want to tour the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's as well. What would your suggestions be for visiting other Rome sites in the a.m. having lunch and being at the Vatican in the afternoon. Also can you suggest non-tourist trap lunch spots? All suggestions are very much appreciated. Can't thank the kind folks who offer so much help to us newbies!

Edited by shoesonfire
can't thank the kind folks ENOUGH who.....

We are 4 active seniors who will be in port in early Oct. Our cruise ship doesn't leave until midnight, so we are thinking of traveling by train from port to Rome. We already have tickets for the 3 p.m. Scavi Tour and of course want to tour the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's as well. What would your suggestions be for visiting other Rome sites in the a.m. having lunch and being at the Vatican in the afternoon. Also can you suggest non-tourist trap lunch spots?

Let's back into this. You'll want to check in at the Scavi office around 2:45 PM and your tour will end around 4:30 or so, so you'll need to see the Vatican Museums before the Scavi. The hard part to predict is whether you'll be allowed to exit the Museums through the Sistine Chapel exit - being able to do so will save somewhere between 30 - 60 minutes, the amount of time it takes to walk from the Sistine chapel back to the entrance/exit of the museums on Viale Vaticano, and then back to St. Peter's.

Let's assume you can use the Sistine Chapel exit. If a guard tries to stop you saying that the exit is for tour groups only, I'd show him your Scavi confirmation and say you are part of a tour group (acting as innocent and humble as you can). Odds are you'll get through. You need to do this at around 2 PM so that, in case it doesn't work, you still have time to get there the long way.

If you get through the Sistine Chapel exit you'll have time then to visit the basilica. If not you can visit it after your Scavi tour (the tour ends in the lower level of the basilica).

So, backing in, in order to be at the Sistine Chapel and ready to leave by 2 PM you'll want to enter the museums in the morning. You can prebook admission about three months prior using the museums's web site here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html.

Even if you only allow two hours for the museums (entry at 11 AM) that doesn't give you a whole lot of time for Rome in the morning, unfortunately. What time does your ship arrive at Civitavecchia? If it's typical, the best case puts you in Rome between 9 - 10 AM. If you are on the early side of that window you'd have enough time to see the Colosseum (from the outside, no time to enter), Campidoglio, and walk to the Pantheon and maybe Piazza Navona, if you are fast walkers, before grabbing a cab or bus over to the Vatican area.

Edited by euro cruiser

I think eurocruiser meant that you could enter the Vatican museums at 12 noon and spend two hours there before having to exit at 2pm to get to the Scavi office. Which does leave you a little more time in the morning. FWIW, I also went to the Vatican museum in the morning before doing a Scavi tour a couple of years ago. I also planned to use the same "excuse" at the shortcut if anyone tried to stop me -- however, no one did, and most of the time that's the case. If you wanted to press your luck a little, you could plan to exit at 2:15 and still have plenty of time -- but NOT if you have to backtrack through the museum.

You can do the Basilica after your tour.

If it were me, and I had until midnight, I'd focus on seeing the Colosseum and Forum in the morning, grab a quick lunch somewhere, take a taxi to the Vatican museum (having pre-reserved tickets for noon), then the Scavi tour and the Basilica. If you wish, you can then walk (or take a taxi) to Piazza Navona, and walk from there to the Pantheon, then Trevi, then (if you want) the Spanish steps. Somewhere between the Pantheon and Spanish steps you can enjoy a nice dinner. At the Spanish steps, get the Metro to Termini and then the train back to Civitavecchia.

It's a lot for a day, but Rome is nice at night, especially Trevi and the Spanish Steps. Try to get to the Pantheon before they close for the evening though (sometime around 7pm).

I knew I could rely on excellent advice and tips. Both Eurocruiser & Cruisemom42 posts were very helpful in planning our day. One day is not enough, but we'll be trying to see as much as possible comfortably and enjoyably.

Cruisemom42 -- What are your thoughts regarding the Scavi? We actually are most excited about this tour and looking for it to be the highlight of our day.

Thanks so much!

Let's back into this. You'll want to check in at the Scavi office around 2:45 PM and your tour will end around 4:30 or so, so you'll need to see the Vatican Museums before the Scavi. The hard part to predict is whether you'll be allowed to exit the Museums through the Sistine Chapel exit - being able to do so will save somewhere between 30 - 60 minutes, the amount of time it takes to walk from the Sistine chapel back to the entrance/exit of the museums on Viale Vaticano, and then back to St. Peter's.

Let's assume you can use the Sistine Chapel exit. If a guard tries to stop you saying that the exit is for tour groups only, I'd show him your Scavi confirmation and say you are part of a tour group (acting as innocent and humble as you can). Odds are you'll get through. You need to do this at around 2 PM so that, in case it doesn't work, you still have time to get there the long way.

If you get through the Sistine Chapel exit you'll have time then to visit the basilica. If not you can visit it after your Scavi tour (the tour ends in the lower level of the basilica).

So, backing in, in order to be at the Sistine Chapel and ready to leave by 2 PM you'll want to enter the museums in the morning. You can prebook admission about three months prior using the museums's web site here: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html.

Even if you only allow two hours for the museums (entry at 11 AM) that doesn't give you a whole lot of time for Rome in the morning, unfortunately. What time does your ship arrive at Civitavecchia? If it's typical, the best case puts you in Rome between 9 - 10 AM. If you are on the early side of that window you'd have enough time to see the Colosseum (from the outside, no time to enter), Campidoglio, and walk to the Pantheon and maybe Piazza Navona, if you are fast walkers, before grabbing a cab or bus over to the Vatican area.

and thank you for sharing you information on this massage boards, they are very helpful

I think eurocruiser meant that you could enter the Vatican museums at 12 noon and spend two hours there before having to exit at 2pm to get to the Scavi office. Which does leave you a little more time in the morning. FWIW, I also went to the Vatican museum in the morning before doing a Scavi tour a couple of years ago. I also planned to use the same "excuse" at the shortcut if anyone tried to stop me -- however, no one did, and most of the time that's the case. If you wanted to press your luck a little, you could plan to exit at 2:15 and still have plenty of time -- but NOT if you have to backtrack through the museum.

You can do the Basilica after your tour.

If it were me, and I had until midnight, I'd focus on seeing the Colosseum and Forum in the morning, grab a quick lunch somewhere, take a taxi to the Vatican museum (having pre-reserved tickets for noon), then the Scavi tour and the Basilica. If you wish, you can then walk (or take a taxi) to Piazza Navona, and walk from there to the Pantheon, then Trevi, then (if you want) the Spanish steps. Somewhere between the Pantheon and Spanish steps you can enjoy a nice dinner. At the Spanish steps, get the Metro to Termini and then the train back to Civitavecchia.

It's a lot for a day, but Rome is nice at night, especially Trevi and the Spanish Steps. Try to get to the Pantheon before they close for the evening though (sometime around 7pm).

Cruisemom :mad: You told them what I was going to say !!!

It sounds as if seeing the Colosseum from the outside is a bit mizz but actually you can get quite a lot of old Rome just from seeing the outside of the sights. We had a nice walk from the Colosseum along the Via dei Fori and then explored the Victor Emmanuel Monument in the Piazza Venezia. I think you can also go up around the Capitoline Hill and look down on the Forum. It was 2 years ago and I do not have a good sense of direction.

I do however recall our trip last year. We visited the Vatican first - at 11 am and visited the Sistine Chapel and St Peters Basilica. We took about 2 hours to do that. We then caught a taxi to Piazza Navona because I could see that time was moving on. It hardly cost anything but it did save us time that we used later. We had a pizza for lunch (not hurried) whilst people watching in Piazza Navona and then we walked to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, we caught the metro back to Termini Station and we must have got back to Termini by 3.30 pm. Sailaway was at 7 pm.

There were a couple of retail stops on the route but I kept a close eye on my watch and was ready to bail out of the route and if necessary catch a taxi back to Termini whenever I needed. I was not expecting to be able to get to the Spanish Steps but we did and the metro station was right there. You use your train BIRG ticket on the Metro. Just make sure you validate it before getting on first thing in the morning.

It will probably be really nice in Rome later in the day when the day trippers have left. You really do have time to do a good 'scratch the surface' of Rome.

I've been re-reading this excellent post for a while now, convinced I was going to follow it step by step, but then I realized my time in port (in June) is from 8am to 7pm, which is clearly shorter than the OPs timeframe. Not sure what time I'll have to be on board but the ship excursions appear to come back around 6:15 so I'm assuming I'll need to be on my way out of Rome by 4pm.

Is it even possible to do the Vatican on a schedule like this? I really just want to see the basilica and Sistine Chapel, but with my shorter time in port I feel like getting a 2pm timed ticket is too late, and any earlier ticket will cause me to rush through everything else. I'm considering now just going to St. Peter's square to see it, and save the inside of the Vatican for a future trip. Can you easily see the basilica in less time, by skipping the museum altogether?

If you skio the Vatican you will still be able to see the Basilica - and feel that you have had a great visit. We only saw St Peters on our first trip, we did not climb the steps of the dome (still not done that) but we were pretty much in awe of the building. You don't have long, but you will have time to enjoy some of Rome.

Does anyone know if you can book the Roma Express Cruise Train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro station one way -- only a 30 min. trip vs. 1 hour on the regular train? Wish it offered a later departure from Rome back to port, but understand it accommodates the cruise ships leaving port by 6 p.m.

Does anyone know if you can book the Roma Express Cruise Train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro station one way -- only a 30 min. trip vs. 1 hour on the regular train? Wish it offered a later departure from Rome back to port, but understand it accommodates the cruise ships leaving port by 6 p.m.

Ah, that explains why it said on the rcl booking site that you have 5.45 hours to explore Rome. It must leave early if it only takes an hour both ways and leaves at 8.10 am. It must leave Rome at around 4 then. :confused:

OK, I see this is different again to the train that the rcl offers. But I'm going to assume the same principles apply, but the cost for this is much less. The train doesn't look quite so luxurious but still very nice.

Edited by Pushka

Here is a reply from SmartCruiseTours that I received to my inquiry regarding the fast track train from port to Rome:

Trenitalia is having a delay with the Fast Track plans due to the fact that they are raising prices on the slow local train travel, and they have not decided exactly what price policy to follow for this train.

Either way we do not sell it for one way tickets.

A good alternative which is going to give you the same safety as the fast track train but with the added advantage of not ever being subjected to strikes is a bus service straight to S. Peter’s suqare (in the Vatican). It takes 20 minutes or so more of travel time and costs €11 for 1 way. Here is the description.

For more information on getting to Rome by Train, see here.

Really didn't offer much help. You can log onto their web site to click the bus service description or other information on getting to Rome via train. Strikes can be a problem, does anyone know if you can access this information ahead of time?

Really didn't offer much help. You can log onto their web site to click the bus service description or other information on getting to Rome via train. Strikes can be a problem, does anyone know if you can access this information ahead of time?

Strikes are generally quite rare and are almost always announced in advance (per law). The government web sites for strikes are:

All strikes: http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

Transit strikes: http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

We recently spent a day in Rome from Civitavecchia (can anyone actually pronounce that?) and here's how you can easily avoid some lines and cover all the sights in a very effective and efficient way on your own.

Our plan was the result of the research here on this forum and from other sources, and so is nothing original, but it is a good validation that some of the advice I found was truly beneficial.

Hello ! Thanks so much for such an amazing review. We are looking to follow your plan step by step and was wondering if at any time we would be close to the gardens in Trastevere?

I believe we would be closeset to them when we arrive at the spanish steps but by then it should be dark, right?

Have you been there?

Thanks again

Hello ! Thanks so much for such an amazing review. We are looking to follow your plan step by step and was wondering if at any time we would be close to the gardens in Trastevere?

I believe we would be closeset to them when we arrive at the spanish steps but by then it should be dark, right?

Have you been there?

Thanks again

Also how far would you say you walked that day in miles, if we follow the blue line ?

• 4 weeks later...

Your pics gave me goosebumps. I am overly excited for my upcoming trip to ROME! =)))) 3 more weeks til NCL Epic! Throwing coin over shoulder at Trevi Fountain last year WORKED! I did a guided tour but im going to try DIY this time around. Thanks for your tips!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Cruisemom42 Where do you purchase the birg ticket please. We intend to get the metro line to ostiense change to colosseo then walk to hotel Romance. Would this be doable with our luggae?? What I really want to know is if you have done Athens on your own. been reading on CC posts its not safe to do so.

Hi Cruisemom42 Where do you purchase the birg ticket please. We intend to get the metro line to ostiense change to colosseo then walk to hotel Romance. Would this be doable with our luggae??

The BIRG only makes sense financially if you are going back and forth between Civitavecchia and Rome in the same day. If you are coming from Civitavecchia and will be staying in Rome you simply purchase a one way train ticket (5 Euro) and then either individual use Rome bus/metro/tram tickets (BIT ticket, good for 100 minutes, Euro 1,50) or an all day pass if you'll be using mass transit four or more times during the day (BIG ticket, good all day until midnight, Euro 6,00).

What I really want to know is if you have done Athens on your own. been reading on CC posts its not safe to do so.

For questions on ports in Greece try this forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Hi Cruisemom42 Where do you purchase the birg ticket please. We intend to get the metro line to ostiense change to colosseo then walk to hotel Romance. Would this be doable with our luggae?? What I really want to know is if you have done Athens on your own. been reading on CC posts its not safe to do so.

For the train, see eurocruiser's post above. It is doable as long as your luggage is manageable -- probably not more than a medium suitcase (24" to 25") and one backpack or carry-on that can be actually carried. You'll have to get the luggage onto and off the train on your own. The metro will also be fine but perhaps crowded.

I've done Athens on my own several times. IMO the only concern would be if there is a transportation strike during your visit. These seem to be less frequent now than last year. I don't think many people who say it is unsafe have actually done it. They are just pushing their favorite taxi or driver service. :rolleyes:

There is a ton of info on the Athens board on DIY, including a very recent post from someone detailing how they did it step by step.