SD II November 19

fpebbles

Thanksgiving cruise! No cooking and more importantly NO DISHES!

Getting ready to leave our Miami hotel to fly into St Thomas. Hate flying in thesame day as the cruise but it couldn't be helped. Wish us luck!

Last evening did a food and architecture tour of South Beach. Great fun.

Just put my ear patch on after reading of knot's experiences. Was going to let it go this time but....

Will be intermittently buying a day of wifi so will try to check in--

Safely aboard and happy to be here. ::snip:::

If there are any questions in particular let me know.

Fpebbles, glad you are back 'home' again! :D

How many people on board, what's the weather like, and who is your captain this time around?

Enjoy!

Jody

Just at capt Lund's reception. So far so good with the caviar!

New chef and sudesh has been on board--seems to be checking things out. We would say all good.

79 passengers this trip.

Leaving IPhone reception area but will try to find out about Christmas voyage etc and get back with you.

The only dissapointment has been looking around for our friends and you're not here!

So sorry we can't be with you! We are all thinking about you and are green with envy that we can't be there, but we will be on SD soon. But sadly without the two sea slugs! Have a great cruise and a Happy Thanksgiving! Want to hear more when you get a chance to post.

.....sudesh has been on board--seems to be checking things out.

Please tell Sudesh we say hi!

>> 79 passengers <<

More champagne and food for you! ;)

<< The only dissapointment has been looking around for our friends and you're not here! >>

:( Aw.... Think I can speak for our little group that we wish we were there with you, fpebbles! Enjoy your time on board and thanks for checking in.

Have been having a wonderful cruise!

It's amazing how quickly the days go. Had planned to sign up for internet to do work but there just hasn't been time! Just checking in on the per minute computers now.

A few quick notes--

The menu now has a "raw" section for dinner with 5 courses none cooked > 108(?) degrees. I haven't tried any of that but it's always interesting to look at. Haven't seen lamb chops on the breakfast menu, but for the past several days our excursions have left the ship too early for a proper breakfast anyway.

And for a sea slug, I'd have to say the excursions have been good. I still prefer doing nothing...:) Some of my part have done a couple of the crew shore casuals and really like those.

The weather has been iffy and last night was our first night of dining outside. We have started sleeping outside twice and both nights got chased in by showers. Beautiful today tho.

The member's club party was about 30 people last night. From peoples' talk it seems that many others will be back--

I tried one of the "raw" courses one night. It was pretty interesting. Basically a juice in a wine glass. It tasted good and I felt better for trying it! Lamb chops are still available, even though they aren't on the menu. I asked the Hotel Director on our cruise and he affirmed that they can indeed be ordered for breakfast!

Have been having a wonderful cruise!

The menu now has a "raw" section for dinner with 5 courses none cooked > 108(?) degrees. I haven't tried any of that but it's always interesting to look at.

Fpebbles, they started the "raw" menu on our Norway cruise. Mr. Brynstad had gone to the chef's facility in Florida and lost weight, got healthy, etc. So the chef (whose name escapes me -- Renata?) and her husband were on board. She also did a demo in the lounge one day. Some of it was pretty good, but the waiters were hysterical. They would say "it's lasagna, but it's not really lasagna" or " it's such and so, but not really". I'm not sure they knew what to make of it, but Sudesh was very interested in it.

So, you're actually getting off the ship now and then :D?

Have a wonderful day tomorrow. The year we were on board for Thanksgiving (2004 - our first SD cruise!), they were one turkey short cuz someone dropped it in the kitchen!! We were in Marigot at the not-so-lovely industrial dock. . . . .

Vandrefalk

Vandrefalk wrote: << Some of it (raw option) was pretty good, but the waiters were hysterical. They would say "it's lasagna, but it's not really lasagna" or " it's such and so, but not really". >>

I remember this! It really was funny because they were trying to promote these menu items but weren't quite sure how to describe them!

Vandrefalk: <<The year we were on board for Thanksgiving (2004 - our first SD cruise!), they were one turkey short cuz someone dropped it in the kitchen!! We were in Marigot at the not-so-lovely industrial dock. . . . .>>

LOLOL!! Too funny (though I'm sure whoever dropped that bird was NOT laughing at the time! :eek:).

Marigot - Not exactly the most scenic place in the Caribbean, IMO....but at least you might have been able to find some turkey crepes at one of the nearby French restaurants. :rolleyes: :p

Fpebbles, so glad you are having a great time! Thanks for checking in.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

We are anchored off Norman Island and finally enjoying a sea slug day.

Have been invited to dine with the captain for the first time. What protocol should I know?

Beautiful weather.

Interesting crowd. With all the newer travellers am seeing a lot of bali bed and chair saving. When I went up to bali bed level at ~8 am every bed had a personal item but no person on it. I don't like that as it seems much better if it can work with some ebb and flow.

Fpebbles:<<Happy Thanksgiving all!>>

Happy Thanksgiving, fpebbles!

<< Have been invited to dine with the captain for the first time. What protocol should I know?>>

How fun! DH usually wears a sports coat when we dine with the captain, just out of respect, but that's his preference. Just be your usual, engaging selves and all will go well! ;)

Fpebbles: <<Interesting crowd. With all the newer travellers am seeing a lot of bali bed and chair saving. When I went up to bali bed level at ~8 am every bed had a personal item but no person on it. I don't like that as it seems much better if it can work with some ebb and flow.>>

Hmmm... Not liking this much. :rolleyes: Used to be unless you were just getting up for something, like a bathroom run or going down to your room to get something, you couldn't "bed hog" like that. I agree that the 'normal rotation' was a much better option and allowed everyone space whenever they needed it. Hopefully SD will start "removing" said objects when they are obviously put there to save spots for later.

As with every cruise, this group has its own personality. Much younger than we've been used to on SD. Less participation in the predinner cocktail hour mingling.

A lot of the difference likely has to do with us, as I'll out us here and tell you that we brought our 17 and 11 year old sons with us.

People literally glared and pointed when we first got on board.

Luckily my sons are pretty charming and have won most over.

And my sons LOVE the cruise. They can't wait to come back. So if you must avoid kids, check with me first to make sure we're not sailing. :)

While I admit to liking the mainly adults only mix on SD, I have met your sons and quite honestly they are BOTH more mature and engaging than most adults!

Sounds to me like some of the others on board - like the bed hogs, for example - may actually be the REAL kids on board who are simply dressed up as adults. :rolleyes:

Glad you're getting nice weather!

Well, it sure wasn't my kids who were blowing their whistles at the lifeboat drill:rolleyes:

We r off to cocktail hour in a moment. Bartender Sean was setting up pumpkin pie and cranberry-ginger martinis. How celebratory! I think Thanksgiving at home is going to be tough after this!

Frequent traveler--captain Lund will be on sd ii over Christmas. And no dishes is really the way to go!

Thanks for the info -- still running the dishwasher from yesterday's meal, so really looking forward to Christmas (I think we have the Splash on Christmas Day!).

thanks for the postings, glad to hear that you are having fun.

I admit I am one of those people who claim a pool side chair or Bali bed early - however, I am in it with a good book but for the time I go for a quick meal - not off shore or in the cabin or elswhere on the yacht. I remove my stuff then.

FT

Archived