If you have the time could you please look over my Alaskan Packing List?

BigZfan

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading and learning quite a bit from the CC boards over the past few months as I have been planning our 1st cruise to Alaska. I have also asked a few questions and received some very great feedback.

One of the questions I asked on the board for 1st time cruisers was about a packing list. I received some great and some confusing feedback. From that feedback I did pair-down my list, but not as far as many people suggested. The common line was “fill up your suitcase and take half out.” That seems to be some of the most common advice given to anyone asking for packing advice on the CC boards. That may be great advice for some, but for a list person like me, it is completely useless. Many people suggested taking only 3 or 4 shirts for the 7 day cruise, but I don’t plan on doing laundry, and frankly I sweat and I don’t want to smell myself, much less have other people smell me from a mile away.

But also on the 1st time cruiser board people baulked at the idea of bringing a rain coat and waterproof hiking shoes, when I have read over and over again on the Alaskan board that those are must have items. Therefore, I thought I would try posting my updated list on the Alaska board to get some additional feedback. I understand that the list is rather long, and it most likely can be paired down, or else I wouldn’t be asking. However, I also don’t want to be one of the people that I am reading about that is running off of the ship to the nearest shop to buy additional layers because they didn’t pack for the weather.

I do believe that all of the items on the list can be packed in 2 large checked luggage and 2 carry-ons, as well as some obviously being worn on our persons. Here is some basic information about our plans during our cruise so you can kind of have an idea of what we are planning for. I am asking now, because there are some great sales coming up and it may be time to buy some great gifts for my husband and myself.

7-9 = Arrive in Seattle and go on a tour of Safe-co field

7-10 = Leave Seattle at 4:00pm

7-11 = Day at Sea – with renewal of wedding vows

6:30pm = Steakhouse Dinner

7-12 = Day at Sea with Tracy Arm Explorer Tour

7-13 = Skagway 7:00am - 9:00pm

8:15am = 3 hour tour on the White Pass & Yukon Railway

12:30pm = Chilkoot Trail Hiking and Rafting Adventure

7-14 = Juneau 7:00am - 3:00pm

7:30am = 4 hour whale watching tour with Harv and Marv

7-15 = Ketchikan 7:00am - 1:00pm

9:00am = 2.5 hour Flightseeing & Crab Feast

7-16 = Victoria, BC, Canada 7:30pm – Midnight (stay on ship)

7-17 = Seattle at 7:00am

Packing List for Alaska –

General

Airline tickets (2)

Baja Bob’s Powered Daiquiri mix (4)

Binoculars (1)

Bungee Cord (1)

Carnival cruise documents (2 sets)

Champagne (2 – pack in check luggage for plane and transfer to carry-on for cruise)

Clothes pins (4) (to hang up wet swimsuits)

Contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards (2 copies)

Corkscrew (1)

Digital Camera (2)

Disposable rain ponchos (2)

Extra AA batteries for the cameras and battery chargers (4)

Funnel (1) (small – to fill rum runners)

Highlighters (2)

Insulated large coffee mugs (2)

Kindle Fire (1)

Laptop (1)

LL. Bean travel bags (2) (to hold souvenirs we buy in port)

Memory Cards for the Camera’s (8 – 1 per day and to avoid losing all the photos if we lose the camera)

Mr. and Mrs. T’s Bloody Mary Mix (24 – pack in check luggage for plane and transfer to carry-on for cruise)

Night-light / battery powered tea candles (2)

Passports (2)

Pens (2)

Phone (1)

Playing Cards games (2 or 3)

Post-its (1)

Power strips (2)

Purex 3-in-1 laundry detergent strips (2 – in case of emergency and we have to do laundry, plus keeps clothes smelling fresh if you just place them in the drawer)

Reusable water bottles (6)

Rum runners (3) (empty – to be used to mix Bon Voyage rum with Baja Bob’s Daiquiri mix.)

Travel books on Alaska with maps (2)

Travel Clock (1)

Wallet (2) (driver’s license, medical insurance cards, credit cards, cash…)

Watch (2)

Zip loc bags of all sizes and garbage/laundry bags (15)

The Mrs.

Short sleeve shirts (2) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Under Armour long sleeve Cold Gear shirts (7)

Under Armour Cold Gear sweatshirt (1)

Under Armour Full Zip Cold Gear jacket (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear pants (2)

Under Armour All Weather pants (1)

Shorts (1)

Formal dress (1) (that I can wear my fancy crocs with)

Nice dresses/Outfits to wear to dinner (2) (that I can wear my fancy crocs with)

Scottevest – Pink (1)

Rain coat/pants (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear Gloves (1)

Hat (1)

Scarf (1)

Waterproof hiking shoes (2)

Fancy crocs (1 or 2)

Swimsuits (1)

Long underwear sets (3)

Nightgowns (3)

Socks, including some wool hiking socks (10)

Underwear (10)

Bras (3)

LL Bean hanging travel toiletry bag (1)

a. Shampoo

b. Conditioner

c. Toothpaste/Toothbrush

d. Pads/Tampons

e. Brush

f. Hair bands and clips

g. Sunscreen

h. Bug Spray

i. KY

j. Make-up

k. Medications

l. Sunglasses

m. Glasses

n. Contacts / Solution

o. Ear plugs

p. Small first aid kit

q. Hand sanitizer

r. Blister spray

s. Deodorant

t. Razor

The Mr.

Short sleeve shirts (2) (buy more as souvenirs and wear them if needed)

Under Armour long sleeve Cold Gear shirts (7)

Under Armour Cold Gear sweatshirt (1)

Under Armour Full Zip Cold Gear jacket (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear pants (2)

Jeans (1)

Shorts (1)

Formal outfit (1) (button up shirt/tie/dress pants)

Nice outfits to wear to dinner (2) (polo shirt/dress pants)

Scottevest/Jacket – Black (1)

Rain coat/pants (1)

Under Armour Cold Gear Gloves (1)

Hat (1)

Scarf (1)

Waterproof hiking shoes (2)

Dress shoes to go with the formal and nice dinner outfits (1)

Swim trunks (1)

Long underwear sets (3)

P.J’s (3)

Socks, including some wool hiking socks (10)

Underwear (10)

LL Bean hanging travel toiletry bag (1)

a. Shampoo

b. Conditioner

c. Toothpaste/Toothbrush

d. Brush

e. Hair Gel

f. Sunscreen

g. Bug Spray

h. Medications

i. Sunglasses

j. Glasses

k. Contacts / Solution

l. Ear plugs

m. Deodorant

n. Razor

I am guessing you are a Type-A personality? !! :)

I think you are going overkill on the Under Armour items. I bring tshirts and sweatshirts. Nothing fancy.

I also think you should consider packing half the clothes. For example - you probably don't each need 7 UA long sleeve shirts. The last time I was in July, I wore shorts and a tshirt for several days in port (though you need to be prepared for cooler temps and rain). Maybe bring 2-3 UA long sleeve shirts per person. I also would skip hiking boots and wear tennis shoes. I would guess you only need one pair of long underwear per person.

Also, I think you probably only need one highlighter, one deck of cards, one power strip, only 2 reusable water bottles (why would you need 6?).

Good luck fitting everything you need into your suitcases and staying under weight. I really would revert to the advice you heard about bringing half the items.

I have been to Alaska a ton of times and usually bring half of what you are bringing and still have plenty.

If you can fit all those items into 2 checked bags/2 carry-on bags, then I say the list looks good. My husband and I have done three cruises to Alaska and pack half the amount, yet we still each have a carry-on and a checked bag...so I guess it's all the same in the end.

The only things I see missing from the list that I personally would pack are (and I understand you're on Carnival, not HAL): Slippers (it's hit or miss if you're given them as a perk in HAL suites), hand lotion (just a small travel size as the complimentary lotion in the cabin bathrooms can be pretty watery), your own hair dryer/flat iron (the hair dryers on HAL anyway are very weak).

Just curious...what's the bungee for? I'm guessing to hook the clothespins on to dry wet clothes? Oh, and ironically the ONE thing we always find ourselves ever wishing we had 2 of instead of 1 is a pair of binoculars. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Jill

Wow! What a GREAT comprehensive list. I'm a newbie too, so I have nothing to add except since I'm a 'visual person' it helped me to see the possibilties all listed out! :)

For the OP who commented about the shorts, I wondering how many pairs to bring. I'm from Texas so of course it will be hot as blazes when we leave here in June and we'll be wearing shorts because we'd roast alive in anything else. :p I knew we'd have that pair with us if the weather permited us a chance to wear them on our cruise, but it never occured to me that we might need more than one pair. Comments anyone?

Also, what about swimsuits? I noticed that BigZFan included swimsuits in her list. Is it possible to have warm enough weather to swim?

Thanks again for the list and the comments. I'm sure it will be helpful to MANY of us planning our first Alaskan cruise! :)

I always take a swimsuit when I travel--hot tubs and covered pools! Personally I'm taking one pair of neutral colored capris or walking shorts--super hot in NM too at that time of year and I'll need them to change into on the way home. I do have some zip off pants too.

I'd prefer to do a load of wash than lug around all that stuff, but it's your trip so whatever you're comfortable with. I'm assuming you have all the UA stuff already; no need to invest in the namebrand just for this trip.

I'd add a 2nd pair of binoculars to the list. Don't share. Nothing more irritating than having someone tug on the binoculars for their turn when you're totally engrossed.

I'd also add chapstick.

Will your carryon also be your dayback ? I assume you have something to carry cameras, binoculars, wallets, etc.

Why not save on the weight and buy your booze and mixers in Seattle. You really do not want 2 bottles of champagne in your checked baggage - my brother tried this once and one of the bottles broke. Ruined the whole trip.

Also, cruising Alaska in July does not call for a lot of cold weather clothes. Layers, yes, but not 7 long sleeve shirts. Ditch 4 of the LS shirts, add a pair of shorts and a lightweight polar fleece vest.

2 people should only need 2 rum runners and 2 disposable water bottles.

We got an over the door shoe holder (the kind with 24 pockets) at the dollar store and used it to hold all of our miscellaneous stuff (toiletries, water bottles, coffee mugs, etc.) It helped to be able to see where everything was rather than trying to remember where we put stuff (new surroundings and all). There are not a lot of places to stow stuff in your cabin.

Looks good to me. I assume you are near a UA store and that is why you have listed them. I am not sure that you need technical quality cold weather gear with the planned activities. Would you be okay if it is warm on the trip?

Thanks for the feedback. I already have some UA stuff, plus there is going to be a big sale next week so that is why I was really starting to think about what to buy. I just like UA for traveling because it is so thin that it packs nicely. My original list did include more then 2 short sleeve shirts and 1 pair of shorts, but I've been reading so many forums where people say to bring half as much as you think and that they only pack a carry on for the entire cruise so I figured, I'd rather be warm then cold. Plus, I could buy T-shirts as souvenirs, but maybe I'll rethink that plan. I do have time.

I am guessing you are a Type-A personality? !! :)

I think you are going overkill on the Under Armour items. I bring tshirts and sweatshirts. Nothing fancy.

I also think you should consider packing half the clothes. For example - you probably don't each need 7 UA long sleeve shirts. The last time I was in July, I wore shorts and a tshirt for several days in port (though you need to be prepared for cooler temps and rain). Maybe bring 2-3 UA long sleeve shirts per person. I also would skip hiking boots and wear tennis shoes. I would guess you only need one pair of long underwear per person.

I am most definately a type-A personality. Without a doubt, I'm a list person.

I keep reading advice like yours over and over again, so it has to have something to it, but I'm just very overwelmed. I also keep reading that you should bring layers and layers. I just feel like that is two different things. Layers and layers, but don't bring too much..??? I don't want to wear the same 3 or 4 layers every day, do I?

I know I'll be doing activities during the day, so I will want to change into at least a clean top for the evening. Plus, aren't people suppose to dress-up for dinner, and even quite formally two nights? I know we will be at least the first night because we will be renewing our vows on the ship.

I am really looking forward to doing all of these things, but I can't imagine doing them all and only packing a few items, or as some people claim only packing a carry-on. I know you didn't mention that, but I have been researching CC high and low for months for packing tips and so many people only pack a carry-on. I just don't know how. That is the list I need. But I also need some how-to instructions because I just don't get it.

Wow! What a GREAT comprehensive list. I'm a newbie too, so I have nothing to add except since I'm a 'visual person' it helped me to see the possibilties all listed out! :)

For the OP who commented about the shorts, I wondering how many pairs to bring. I'm from Texas so of course it will be hot as blazes when we leave here in June and we'll be wearing shorts because we'd roast alive in anything else. :p I knew we'd have that pair with us if the weather permited us a chance to wear them on our cruise, but it never occured to me that we might need more than one pair. Comments anyone?

Also, what about swimsuits? I noticed that BigZFan included swimsuits in her list. Is it possible to have warm enough weather to swim?

Thanks again for the list and the comments. I'm sure it will be helpful to MANY of us planning our first Alaskan cruise! :)

I'm glad there is another visual/list person out there. I hope we can both find some good answers and ideas. I was originally planning on bring two pairs of shorts, but after reading so many people say bring half of what you think you will need I'm thinking about only bringing one pair. I was also thinking about bringing two swimsuits because there will be a pool and a hottub on the our cruise ship, the Carnival Spirit, but once again, I've been convinced to pair down to one, even though I truely believe that one of the worst feelings in the world is putting on a wet swimsuit. It's just horrible. Hence why I will be hanging mine up to at least try to dry it.

You will definitely be prepared! :)

I usually survive during the day with a long sleeve t-shirt and then a sweatshirt and bring a jacket with me (either rain or fleece depending on weather forecast). Through out the day, the jacket will come off and possibly the sweatshirt depending on the day.

At night - I usually wear kackis and a sweater. I often wear the sweater 2x during a 7 night cruise. Yes - there are 2 formal nights. Alaska is a tad less formal compared to other destinations but people do dress up.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Just remember, if you forget anything - you can easily pick most of it up in the towns you visit.

I had never heard of UA but will look them up.

I am sure the cruise will be wonderful, especially with the vow renewal!

I took way less than this to Antarctica and way, way less to Alaska. However, it is your cruise and you might be comfortable with more whereas all this stuff would be totally cumbersome and crazy-making for me.

Despite rain 6 out of 7 days in Alaska in September, I never needed a raincoat or waterproof boots. I had a $1.00 poncho and a good pair of Timberlands and both were fine to keep me dry. I took Under Armour long underwear and never wore it after the first day as it made me far too warm.

If you really wanted to, you could do this trip with carry on only but that what probably worry you to death in the days right before the trip.

Do plan to take the most multiple-use items in your carry-on in case your checked luggage is lost. I always take mini sizes of toiletries along with a pair of nail scissors; you can get a few more days from a mini toothpaste, lotion, hair gel, etc by cutting it in half after you can't squeeze any more out. Hubby and I share all of our toiletries to save space and can generally get what we need in one quart-size zip-loc.

One thing I don't see on your list is a book or an e-reader. You need some for any unplanned airport delays, etc.

bag

You are Type A. Way too much stuff including the champagne in the checked luggage. Not only a bad idea for your stuff, but for the stuff of others that may get soaked when the bottles break. The bottles are also ridiculously heavy.

Check your cruise line for bringing on liquor and mixers. All the cruise lines are shutting down on bringing on to one degree or another and the rules may change for 2012.

Way too much UA stuff. I don't take that much when I go to Alaska in the winter.

Thanks for laying everything out. I did this when my kids were smaller on our Caribbean cruise. There is no sense of kind of preparing, you might as well make sure you have everything you want to take. I do agree with getting the Champagne in Seattle. I would hate for it to ruin your clothes if it breaks. I also find a grocery store/Wal Mart/Target to get some other things that will be used up on the cruise. Remember Alaska will have everything you need if you forget something. We went to Wal Mart in Juneau to replace a carryon that broke-HAL comped us for it since it broke during embarkation. We also picked up a swimsuit we forgot and some cheap souvenirs!

And I thought I was an overpacker!!:D

I found the daytime temps to be very moderate and never needed more than a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt. (Other than when cruising to Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord in a smaller boat.)

There are great shops in ports that sell jackets for $19.99. We ended up buying several not so much because we needed the warmth but because they were a great value and souvenir.

We went on our cruise at the end of May and we wore shorts and t-shirts pretty well the whole time accept the day we were in Tracy Arm. We docked at Ketchikan and it was so hot I was overheating. The only time I actually wore pants was when we were at sea and on our excursion up the White Pass to the border between Alaska and British Columbia and even then I wore a light sweater. I wouldn't over pack too many cold weather clothes if I were you!

Your list is very detailed. I'll add some obvious items. Do you need chewing gum on the plane? OTC such as aspirin, Sudafed, tums, Imodium...

You might rethink the adult beverages. A case of Bloody Mary mix. Vodka in rum runner, or any other bottle, might wind up getting put in storage for the duration of your cruise. You said you plan on bring the mix in your carry on. I'm not sure if the people checking luggage cross check but it looks kind of obvious.

You're bringing a laptop. You can copy your pictures to you laptops as a backup. I'd just bring 2 memory cards per camera. One to use and one as an extra if that card is lost or damaged.

Dollar bills for tips. Coins for laundry (not sure?)

Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

I would rethink your alcoholic beverages re the Carnival policy

Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

I would rethink your alcoholic beverages re the Carnival policy

I understood that the OP was only carrying on mixers and 2 bottles of champagne. He is getting Bon Voyage Rum-I am guessing pre ordering this as a gift to be delivered to the cabin from Carnival. The rum runners are used for mixing not to carry on illegal alcohol.

Archived