Whats best (other than penguins) to do in Punta Arenas?

toff10

In Punta Arenas, pay only in cash due to what was in my experience fairly rampant credit card fraud by local vendors. In particular, avoid eating at "Sotitos Restaurante Touristico". I'm not making that name up, that is how their sign reads, I ate there several years back after reading some recommendations of the place on Cruise Critic. I love King Crab and the meal was delicious. But after I gave the waiter my credit card it took a suspiciously long time for him to come back with it. He also made me sign two slips. I just assumed, wrongly, it was because there were two people in our party. When I got home to the states I reviewed my credit card statement. I saw that he had charged me twice and also called my card number around to local shops, at least four, which I never visited. Each of these shops made fraudulent charges to my account. The total damages were almost three hundred dollars. AmEx was great about writing off all of these charges. They said credit card fraud is rampant in South America and this kind of thing happens to tourists all the time. If you must go to Sotitos, which to me was the ultimate tourist trap, I suggest you not give them your credit card.

There are plenty of ATMs in Punta Arenas as it is the major staging point for land trips to Patagonia. We were there 2 years ago on a land trip. You can walk all over though there really isn't much in the town to see. During the day, they have a local crafts market set up on the main square.

It can be VERY windy in Punta Arenas. You will need lots of layers if so.

I didn't have any credit card problems there (and paid with mine everywhere we ate as well as buying some jeans for my son). YMMV.

Archived