COCONUT GROVE OR DOWNTOWN MIAMI for pre-cruise?

SuzCruzin

My husband and I are flying into Miami late on a Thursday for a Saturday (March) cruise departure. Since we'll have a full day on Friday for exploring and sightseeing, can someone help with whether they think Coconut Grove or downtown Miami would be a better place for us to stay? Cost of places we're considering would be about the same. We're not night-owls; would like fun area to just walk around, explore a few shops, see the sights, eat some good food. Thanks!:)

Walk around downtown from Thursday to Saturday?

It was only for Friday.

For what it's worth, my wife and I do stay in downtown Miami for four to six nights each trip and we find plenty to do. We do walk and find it easy to walk around. We didn't find it easy in 2007 when they were doing all of that construction but since 2010 it's easy for us to get around. We can walk, and where necessary use a taxi.

Keith

Keith, tell me please. Is downtown Miami safe for two women to stroll around or take public transpo on their own?

A good portion of the downtown Miami area is quite safe but like all cities that isn't true of all area. For example the area between American Airlines Center all the way to the Four Seasons Hotel is quite safe in the daytime. I'm mentioning those areas thinking you could easily find them on an internet Map. At night my wife and I will also walk these areas. But we are very observant of those around us. We try to stay with the crowd and we will make sure we are walking on the main well lit streets. Of course, you could also take a taxi.

For those who want more of a night life I recommend South Beach. Personally I prefer not to stay at South Beach because many of the hotels can get very noisy at night and also if one is just going for one day I just don't think they will get a lot from staying at South Beach.

For us, we will just take a taxi over there one night to have dinner and before dinner to walk around.

I prefer the downtown Miami area just because I find it quieter at night and we pretty much have a routing for the places we want to see.

Keith

We're going to be staying at the Conrad downtown, for just a Saturday night pre cruise - we will fly in at noon. Is that area safe to walk around? What is there to do/see/eat in that area?

The Conrad is in a safe area.

You can walk over to Mary Brickell Village. There are lots of shops inside as well as some around that area.

This link will take you to their web site.

http://www.marybrickellvillage.com/

There are also a lot of restaurants. One of our favorites right near Mary Brickell is Perricone's. Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.perricones.com/

Also near Mary Brickelll is a Publix Food Store if you need any last minute items.

If you like to walk you can walk over to Bayside which is about a 30 minutes walk or you can also walk in part along the water.

I would get a downtown Miami map to get a sense where some of these places are located.

Keith

Archived