HELP - Insurance

smudge's mom

What insurance should I buy?

We are taking the Star to the Baltic June 24, with a stopover in London for a few days. Although they will insure the cruise and the air travel surrounding the cruise (the flight home), Sam's Club will not insure the other portions of my trip.

I decided to insure the entire vacation with another company.

Any suggestions?

I went to insuremytrip.com - and that site is really helpful - but I would like hands-on recommendations from people who've actually used a specific travel company.

I would give you my recommendations, but then that would only be the best fit for my family and my health situation. This is one where your own needs should take precedence over anyone else's opinion.

You have made a good start at insuremytrip--nice to be able to compare the major points in the coverages. Just be sure to read the fine print in the actual contracts before you sign. You will find many posts here in the last week alone of good and bad experiences with insurance, many of the posters were unaware of the actual coverages (what is a family member? is trip interruption included, for how much?, what is the difference between the medical condition and the trip cancellation coverage?, When must I purchase the insurance?, etc. etc.)

The one thing I would venture to say is that the Princess insurance, through Berkley Care, does include the 75%/90% cruise credit if you cancel for a non-covered reason. Similar "any reason" cancellation coverage is available through other parties, but I believe at a much higher cost. This is usually what causes us to go for the Princess insurance, but it might not be appropriate in your case.

If you have specific questions on your family health/concerns/travel issues, I am sure that others could and will answer those inquiries regarding specific companies you are considering.

Thanks for your input.

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant - more about - what was your treatment with your insurance company when you had a claim? when you asked questions? their follow-thru with any contacts?

I'm pretty sure any of the major companies offer a package that would fit our specific needs - but I'm concerned I'll end up buying from a company that when you need them - they won't be there for you.

Well, I have been very lucky and never needed to actually use the insurance, so I am not going to be much help for you there.

Have you tried a search "using insurance"? I have seen a few posts within other threads; as I recall Princess worked fine, Travelguard is well mentioned, there is one really negative one on Access America (sp?). That is all I recall from this last couple of weeks, but I am sure others will jump in soon with their usage experiences.

We always buy Access America. Once we had to file a claim when we cancelled a cruise for medical reasons and I dreaded doing the paperwork. It turned out to be incredibly easy and 10 days after I sent my paperwork to them, I had a check in my hand.

Jerseygirl3 posted recently about having to cancel and has received her refund check from the insurance company. Here is the link to her post. It is #6 in the thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=159901&page=1&pp=20&highlight=jerseygirl3

I browsed pretty fast through the post and didn't see where she mentioned the insurance companies name in the post but I seem to remember from another post that it was AccessAmerica but not sure. Her email address is at the bottom of the post if you want to confirm her companies name.

Bill

Archived