"Exotic" cruise w/ 2 y/o?

MariahJ

Next year my DH and I have a sabbatical, which is an additional 8 weeks of vacation. We want to do something really exciting. We've done a fair amount of traveling (in addition to the cruises mentioned below, we've been to India and all over Europe, Australia, and a few others). We'd really like to cruise South America and Antarctica but I don't think we can do Antarctica with a 2 y/o. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has done a more exotic cruise than your standard Caribbean cruise with a young child?

Another option is to wait another year and leave her with Grandma when she's 3 (since I don't think I'll be ready in a year), but depending on how things go I may be pregnant or have another one by then so we'd end up having to postpone another 3 years.

Could you not leave her with grandma now? Sounds like you're pretty adventurous....don't know how a small child would affect your port jaunts...seems it would put quite a crimp in your plans.

I think I would miss her way too much. We've never spent a night apart, much less 2 weeks. I'm thinking we'll put her in the childcare area while we're at port during the day, and occasionally try to find tours that she would enjoy to bring her.

While we did not take our children at that age on an exotic cruise we do see young children who are 2 years old when we sail around the world. If you think that having your child with you will not be too demanding for you, then by all means you should do it.

Keith

There were toddlers on our cruise that included Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Malta and they seemed to be having a great time.

I've been spending time on the South America boards (I'm hoping to take my 7 year olds on an Around the Horn next xmas) and I don't think it's that unusual for there to be young children on those cruises - especially from South American countries. I took my twins to Europe at 2 and they're actually pretty easy to travel with at that age (being in diapers and small enough for a stroller or carrier can be more convenient than with an older child). If you don't mind leaving her on board and/or booking private tours in some ports where there are kid-friendly things to do, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You should look at the South Am boards here and see what other families do with kids in the ports you would visit.

Best,

Mia

The one thing you need to consider is on some of the more exotic cruises where there are few children, some cruiselines do not run kids clubs, so before you make the decision based on putting your child in a kids club make sure that your cruiseline will run the clubs on your itinerary.

The one thing you need to consider is on some of the more exotic cruises where there are few children, some cruiselines do not run kids clubs, so before you make the decision based on putting your child in a kids club make sure that your cruiseline will run the clubs on your itinerary.

And not all cruise lines have child care/club options for children younger than 3 regardless of itinerary, so that could be a consideration.

beachchick

Suppose it depends on exotic. I flew to Dubai and sailed back to Southampton stopping at middle eastern ports and Istanbul with my 9month old a 10yr and a 11yrs. The following year I flew out to Singapore when they were 20 months, 11yrs and 12yrs and sailed back to Southampton via Maylasia, Indian, Dubai, through the Suez and the Med. I had no problems taking the children. There weren't that many children onboard but they enjoyed themselves. My eldest son went to Petra with his Dad while i stayed on board with the other 2 as my daughter wasn't interested in going. I must admit I didnt take them ashore in India but that was for my reasons.

I travelled with Cunard and they provided excellent child care all included in the price. If you book a tour through Cunard they will look after your children all day including feeding them until the tour returns. So if the tour leaves at 7am and doesn't get back 7pm your children are well looked after. They take children from 2 years, it use to be 1 years so when I went I could happily leave my 20 month there in the evenings while we had some adult time.

The only thing is young children dont adjust to time differences quite as easily so i was often up at 5.30am having a youghurt in the Conservatory and in the outside play area at 6am.

I'm a great believer in travelling with children and showing them the world. It might mean you cant do everything you would like to do but there are lots of things you can. My 3yr old still mentions our gondola trip that we took in the summer. When planning trips ashore I try and pack in a bit of culture for the older ones and then find a park or square the youngest can run round in, have plently of water and snacks (not always healthy needs must sometimes!) and small toys to produce when needed.

Plan your trip with your little one and enjoy, dont pack too much in to a day, leave them onboard when you can and invest in a good carrier/sling much better than a pram. I took my 9 month old to the Parthenon in a sling. If you can get to things easliy yourself in a taxi or private tour do it that way, if its a long way take an organised tour and leave your little one onboard or dont go. Nothing worse than being stuck on a bus with miserable old people tutting every time your child makes a sound:p

I'm tAking a quick 3n cruise and leaving my 2 year old behind. I am having a lot of anxiety about it. I have traveled for business for longer periods of time but leaving her home with dad didn't bother me as much. Plus I skyped every night and a cruise seems much more secluded. I think you are right to hesitate until you know you are ready.

The problem in my mind is 2 years old don't always travel well. You have to do activities that interest them, on there schedule. Are you okay with that? Cutting the day short because the toddler is cranky. You can't enjoy desert or dinner, for that matter, because toddler wants to run.

I would love to cruise with my daughter right now, but only if I I was prepared to follow her agenda. If you want to hit a list of must dos, wait until the time is right

I think I have decided to go with a more tame E. Caribbean cruise next year (since we'll be in FL anyway so no additional flying) and postpone the sabbatical for another year. However, I'm not sure if cruising with a 3 y/o will be much better than a 2 y/o, but maybe I'll be more comfortable leaving her then.

Archived