Meet and mingle gift exchange downer.

edeneyes

I participated in the Meet and Mingle gift exchange for the first time on the Voyager Oct 2011 transatlantic. The gift I picked turned out to be old 1990's Christmas ornaments that were advertisements for a business and a plastic ballpoint pen that was also an advertisement. I was shocked that someone would actually put something like this in the gift exchange. If you don't want to spend a couple of dollars and put a little thought into the gift, then don't participate. I was happy to see the person who picked my gift really liked it.

That's disappointing. It doesn't sound like it was in the spirit of the event. I'm glad the person who got yours liked it. We used to do gift exhanges that symbolized our home state in some way. It was fun.

I've done that as well. It was fun.

I hear you- only participated on our first cruise. We brought a nice gift from Reed & Barton Silversmiths, a local company. I won't mention what we got in return since all Meet & Mingle attendees are from this board, but let's just say it was a conversation piece!!:rolleyes:

I hear you- only participated on our first cruise. We brought a nice gift from Reed & Barton Silversmiths, a local company. I won't mention what we got in return since all Meet & Mingle attendees are from this board, but let's just say it was a conversation piece!!:rolleyes:

OK, now I am intrigued. Any hints?

We always do a gift exchange. I was in charge of our last M&G (NCL SUN last April)

but I haven't done RCCL in a few years...Princess, HAL and NCL lately (they are the ones that have run deals for the time I can go..school system and all) and I don't recall seeing anything like what the OP mentioned. Dad got a t-shirt once, but it was from the state/region the cruiser was from... we always have done the gifts that represent the area you are from!

If people were REALLY dedicated to the gift exchange, I'd post the Dead Dog Party gift exchange rules. But, a) it can take some time & b) it can get pretty cut throat in a completely laugh your gut out way. Both a & b can be mitigated by the presence of umbrella drinks.

One year at work, I received a xmas gift of a homemade candle that was so ugly and atrocious that my coworkers and I laughed about it for the longest time (they also received one too). I did put it in a future white elephant exchange and we all laughed until it hurt. So it really was a great gift.

I love the idea of a "White Elephant" gift exchange - there are a few things lying around here from "Secret Santa" gifts that would be prime candidates :rolleyes: :p

I'm glad to say that many a gift I have given has been fought over with the swap rules!!

The absolute funniest gift exchange gift we ever saw was years ago.

6 couples got together for a pot luck right before Christmas. We were all happy not to have to cook big meals as we shared dinner together.

We arranged for a grab bag gift exchange and went into hysterics as one woman opened a "battery operated" gift. Her jaws dropped open and we all lost it laughing,especially when one of our male neighbors retrieved the gift, that was meant for his wife, from the "lucky" recipient.:p Seems he grabbed the wrong package from under the tree.

We had fun with that when it rolled around to his wifes birthday as she was presented with lots of new batteries for her Christmas "toy".:D

That's disappointing. It doesn't sound like it was in the spirit of the event. I'm glad the person who got yours liked it. We used to do gift exhanges that symbolized our home state in some way. It was fun.

We've done a few of the gifts exchanges and they were all something from the home state. I have rec'd some nice gifts through these, although it was difficult getting something that I felt anyone would like.

I love the idea of a "White Elephant" gift exchange - there are a few things lying around here from "Secret Santa" gifts that would be prime candidates :rolleyes:

Funny you mention that...I have been bringing out our Holiday Decorations and found many items I said...Ew, where did this come from :eek: , because I know I would never buy anything like that!!

Maybe we should do a gift exchange on our Oasis cruise.......I have lots of junk, oh I mean glorious gifts. :o

i am sailing on allure next may and have signed up for gift exchange,i come from canada and live where maple syrup is made do u think that is a good gift ? and you guys have me scared LOL!!! always try to do the right thing but have had my share of disappointed over a gift!!:rolleyes:

i am sailing on allure next may and have signed up for gift exchange,i come from canada and live where maple syrup is made do u think that is a good gift ? and you guys have me scared LOL!!! always try to do the right thing but have had my share of disappointed over a gift!!:rolleyes:

I would love to get maple syrup for a gift.:D

This is a great one . . . the real McCoy is much appreciated I have found out.

That's a great gift. Its very expensive here.

Jan

REAL maple syrup? Fabulous idea! Maple sugar candies are wonderful too. The candies might be easier to carry to the ship if you are flying plus no risk of them leaking in your suitcase. Personally, I think you have a great idea, but it's hard to find good real maple syrup where I am.

Archived