Carriage ride questions

NCTribeFan

I've read through all the threads I could find but none of them are very recent.

I've been to Nassau several times, but my cruising buddy has never been there. Normally, I just get off the ship, walk around, browse through some shops, get the wonderful fish for lunch from the stall just inside the terminal building, and sit and people watch.

She'd like to see some of the city, though. Problem is, she had foot surgery a few months ago and still can't do a whole lot of walking.

I was thinking a carriage ride would be a great way for her to see the highlights without having to hike all day.

I know exactly where they are located, but was wondering what the current rates are. Are the rates negotiable? I'm not much to haggle and don't want to even try if there are posted rates that are firm.

I've read some post that say the tour is 20-30 minutes, but I believe I read some that said they were an hour or so. Is this something that is also negotiable?

Sadly, we're in port on Monday along with the behemouth Allure. :(

This is a last-minute, cheapo cruise, so I'd like to keep it simple and relaxing.

Thanks!

I thought I remembered that it was posted inside the building when you first enter from the dock area. That's why I wondered if the price was negotiable or not.

Wonder if I can find out what time Allure is arriving. If she's already in port when we arrive, we'll just take our time and let the 6,000+ people get out of the way! If she isn't there yet, we can get out there before the hoardes arrive.

Was hoping someone who had done this recently would chime in.

Guess I'll find out on Monday! :D

NCTribeFan, enjoy your cruise and time in Nassau. When you get back, please post here how you found the carriage ride and costs. We will be there in February and think this sounds fun. Also, will you see if four adults can go in one carriage. Thankis in advance and have a great trip!:)

The rates that are posted haven't been changed in a decade.

This tour is really cheap and these guys earn their $$.

Negotiating this would in my opinion be a crime. It's cheap as it is and everyone deserves to make a dollar.

Of course someone will give you a better deal if they are starving.

Business has not been good this season..

$20 for a horse and carriage ride is really not gonna break anyone.

Straw market is another matter.. they up the prices so there is room for negotiating. Not so with these vendors.

Wonder if I can find out what time Allure is arriving. If she's already in port when we arrive, we'll just take our time and let the 6,000+ people get out of the way! If she isn't there yet, we can get out there before the hoardes arrive.

If you go to CruiseTT and select your port and date, you can see which ships are in port that day. Hover your mouse over Allure to see what hours it will be in port. It looks like Allure gets into Nassau at 7.

Here's the link: http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=455&date=39

I've always negotiated and I don't think I committed a crime . . . . or rippen anyone off. The posted fee is for a short simple tour. But it is very common to negotiate where you want to go, and for how long and maybe to be dropped at a different place.

I've never had a driver refuse to discuss it . . .

That's really what I wanted to know. If we want a more extensive tour than the standard 30 or 45 minutes (sort of the same route as the walking tour I did that goes to the fort, staircase, and around the town), with time to get off and take a closer look at things, I just wondered what the cost might be and what to expect.

I certainly have no problem paying locals for their time and effort. I just don't want to be told the cost would be $75 for two for an hour tour when others have paid $50 or less.

Just want to get a general idea.

And it appears Allure is arriving before us, so we'll just take our time that morning. That way, when we're done with our tour, I can stop at that stall in the building and get that delicious grouper that I always have. Yum!

Will post back when I return.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Nassau last Monday, 11/28. Allure was already there and Disney Dream arrived before I could get cousin ready and off the ship, so we just took our time.

We went straight to the carriages. I asked the driver if could go up to the fort, he said yes, told us it was $30 for about 35-40 minutes, so off we went.

We did go up to the fort and past the entrance to the staircase but didn't stop.

Gave the driver $40 total.

The carriages probably would NOT hold 4 adults. The really only have two seats and the driver is taking up 1/2 of the front one. I saw some that had 2 adults and 2 kids, but I think the only way you'd get 4 adults is if at least three are very slim, which is not often the case these days.

Had to stand in line for about 20 minutes to get my fried grouper in the port building, but it was worth the wait. Just delicious!

So would an adult, two teenage girls, and an 11-yo be able to squeeze into a single carriage? I thought about doing this instead of just walking around on our own, but we're going to be under a bit of a time crunch, since our stop there is only 7am to 2pm and I probably won't be able to get the kiddos off the ship until 8 at least. I planned to get off the ship, walk around town, do the pirate's museum, be at Ardastra in time for the flamingo show, then get lunch on Arawak Cay and beach out until time to get back to the ship. Is this reasonably do-able or does it sound like an endurance marathon?

So would an adult, two teenage girls, and an 11-yo be able to squeeze into a single carriage? I thought about doing this instead of just walking around on our own, but we're going to be under a bit of a time crunch, since our stop there is only 7am to 2pm and I probably won't be able to get the kiddos off the ship until 8 at least. I planned to get off the ship, walk around town, do the pirate's museum, be at Ardastra in time for the flamingo show, then get lunch on Arawak Cay and beach out until time to get back to the ship. Is this reasonably do-able or does it sound like an endurance marathon?

Would be a very tight squeeze, but thing of the poor horse. That's pulling alot of weight.. including the driver.

The buggy is made for 2 adults and a driver. Unless the kids are really small

Also.. keep in mind that everything in the bahamas is S L O W. So give yourself plenty of time for lunch. It's not fast food by any means..

Oh, so they're just one horse. You're right, that's a pretty big load for one animal. Maybe we could get two and they could stay together. Or just stick with my original plan of walking. :)

Thanks for the heads up about the food thing. I would have thought that some of the places would be more grab and go types. With the exception of beach snack bars, they're probably all about the experience, I guess?

My comments were about the posted rates, not negotiating a longer ride or a different route.

I've watched as folks try and negotiate down to the last dollar...

And why not??? Mony dose not grow on trees even in US ,and Bahamas is overpriced for everything compare to other islands.

My friend and I took a carriage ride this past Saturday. The charge was $15 a person for 25 minutes. This was stated numerous times and the money was to be paid to the driver at the end of the ride. Well, at the end of the ride, the driver informs us that $30 goes to the owner and any extra is how he makes a living. Trying to guilt me into a tip? That was such a turn off that he lost the tip. OH ... And the little boy who asks if he can take your picture (with your own camera)?? After he takes the picture, he will ASK for a tip.

Also keep in mind that the carriages are not in the greatest shape. I have been on many carriage rides and I was afraid this one was going to fall apart on me. In fact, when we returned, we saw the rubber off one of the wheels.

Just my experience.

I agree with NotADude. We didn't ask for a specific route and I think we got ripped off. He took us up one steet for two blocks, turned right for about 5 blocks, then turned right for the two blocks we just went up, took a right at Senor' Frogs and back to the start. I thought we were going to get a tour! I laughed at the guy who insisted he take your picture and then asks for a tip!

Archived