Silhuette Buffet Dinner

Lady Luna

Can't agree with that - while you would expect that to be the case it isn't in my experience, MDR beat Murano hands down on a recent Solstice cruise and I was told they share same galley.

It is a fact that Murano has it's own galley and uses higher quality cuts of meat than the MDR. You can disagree if you would like, but it would be like disagreeing that 1+1=2.

Of course Muranos is not able to please 100% of people and, like any venue, will have an off night here and there. That said the vast majority of people who try Murano find it to be a nice experience. Some people do find the MDR more to their liking. This does not mean that the MDR's food is of equal quality, just that people have different tastes. Some people prefer Taco Bell to a Rick Bayless Mexican restaurant; that does not mean that Taco Bell's food is of equal quality.

Thanks a lot, I looked into this option and decided that for us the only feasible perk is the delivery of bottled water. The size of the cabin is the same as ours, with the same veranda and same view but a couple of floors higher. Everything else holds no value for us, but for the difference in price we could take another cruise which we would

The biggest benefit of AQ cabins is the exclusive ability to eat in Blu (except for suites). Its like eating in a Specialty restaurant every night. It is worth it just for that especially if you get a good upgrade.Dining in Blu is anytime dining, you go whenever you want.

The biggest benefit of AQ cabins is the exclusive ability to eat in Blu (except for suites). Its like eating in a Specialty restaurant every night. It is worth it just for that especially if you get a good upgrade.Dining in Blu is anytime dining, you go whenever you want.

I don't know if other celebrity ships have Blue, but I remember dining in the venue with the smilar name on one of our Celebrity sails and it was below fair at least, so we switched to the MDR.

It's a matter of taste, and I am not getting upgrade with the purpose to dine in Blue. As little as we eat we'll find solutions on such a big and nice ship without paying what could become another cruise for us. My main concern is to eat less, not more, and we could always find something nice . One thing I am trying to avoid is seating at the table waiting for the meal to come while they bring fresh baked rolls that smell like heaven and I believe taste even better. Even If you dont munch on those rolls the smell alone causes your appetite hormone raise significantly, that's why this trick is now used in all big supermarkets now

I struggle with the concept that people have paid for a holiday on a 'premium' cruise line with some fantastic dining options only to choose to eat in a buffet. I cannot fathom why people would choose this over being served at a set table in lovely surroundings especially when you have already paid and there is no additional charge.

The popularity of buffet dining has always baffled me ever since I started visiting America. A case of each to their own I suppose.

We sometimes opt out of the MDR because it is so noisy. We generally get a table for 2 and wish a nice quiet dining experience. The buffet sometimes is much quieter than the MDR.

We generally take lunch on our balcony in the cabin for the same reason.

I don't know if other celebrity ships have Blue, but I remember dining in the venue with the smilar name on one of our Celebrity sails and it was below fair at least, so we switched to the MDR.

Blu was new with Solstice Class ships. All the S-Class ships have Blu (and some of the M-Class ships are having Blu installed during dry docks). Blu is the main dining room for those in Aqua Class staterooms. If you did not sail on a S-Class ship in an Aqua Class stateroom you would not have been assigned to Blu. Since you did not know what Aqua Class was, I doubt you have dined in Blu before. The vast majority of people find Blu to be a step up from the main dining room as the food is cooked to order and the venue has the ambiance of a restaurant (whereas the main dining room has preplated food and the ambiance of a banquet hall). Blu is quieter, more intimate and is 100% anytime dining (i.e. you show up when you are ready to eat). The food is a bit healthier and lighter. Since it is mostly tables for two, the length of dinner is usually quicker. Blu is the main perk of Aqua Class. Blu is also open daily for breakfast and has some nice items not available in other venues for breakfast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freecall

I think that it's a pity that on the S class ships X do not do the waiter served alternate dining in the buffet area.

FYI no Celebrity ships offer this option any more; it is not just an S-Class thing.

I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable on all things X but was unaware of this. Am I correct in thinking that this is now the case even on the Century? If so, what do they do with the space in the evening, just an ordinary buffet I guess.

Blu was new with Solstice Class ships. All the S-Class ships have Blu (and some of the M-Class ships are having Blu installed during dry docks). Blu is the main dining room for those in Aqua Class staterooms. If you did not sail on a S-Class ship in an Aqua Class stateroom you would not have been assigned to Blu. Since you did not know what Aqua Class was, I doubt you have dined in Blu before. The vast majority of people find Blu to be a step up from the main dining room as the food is cooked to order and the venue has the ambiance of a restaurant (whereas the main dining room has preplated food and the ambiance of a banquet hall). Blu is quieter, more intimate and is 100% anytime dining (i.e. you show up when you are ready to eat). The food is a bit healthier and lighter. Since it is mostly tables for two, the length of dinner is usually quicker. Blu is the main perk of Aqua Class. Blu is also open daily for breakfast and has some nice items not available in other venues for breakfast.

Thanks Gonzo, this post is very helpful. Do Suite passengers have access to Blu?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freecall

I think that it's a pity that on the S class ships X do not do the waiter served alternate dining in the buffet area.

I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable on all things X but was unaware of this. Am I correct in thinking that this is now the case even on the Century? If so, what do they do with the space in the evening, just an ordinary buffet I guess.

It was eliminated on all ships last year when they introduced the new buffets. Also, the alternate dining area never had the same menu as the MDR.

Thanks Gonzo, this post is very helpful. Do Suite passengers have access to Blu?

Suite passengers may eat in Blu on a space available basis. There is a $5.00 PP charge. Passengers in other cabins including Concierge cannot eat in Blu and this rule is strictly enforced..

Hi...the main dining room and the specialty restaurants have never

shared the same galley. They are totally separate from each other.

Not sure where that information came from but when you have seen

those gallies, you will know they are separate. The galley for the

main dining room is a giant (square footage wise) area. The galley

for (pick a restaurant) is much smaller in size. Different staff, different

set up, different everything.

Suite passengers may eat in Blu on a space available basis. There is a $5.00 PP charge. Passengers in other cabins including Concierge cannot eat in Blu and this rule is strictly enforced..

Rephrasing the classic: "all passengers are equal, but some passengers are more equal than others...".

Like someone mentioned in another board:" Cruises are once again becoming a separate classes society.

It is ok with me. I really don't care for BLUE. But I feel sorry for those in Concierge Class, they have the same type of cabin as I do, and no privillege at all. Where all money foe CC is gone?

Eleven or 12 years ago I sailed on Celebrity on South America Cruise. Do not remember the name of the ship. It wasn't Aqua Class for sure, but there was an alternative dining room lighted in blue colors with the similar name and we didn't like it. Maybe someone could recognize the description and provide more info. However it is not critically important, just for information sake only. I do not feel guilty that I don't sail in Aqua class and don't dine in Blue. We travel a lot whenever we can, and for a cruise a Verandah cabin with MDR or buffet is sufficient enough

Eleven or 12 years ago I sailed on Celebrity on South America Cruise. Do not remember the name of the ship. It wasn't Aqua Class for sure, but there was an alternative dining room lighted in blue colors with the similar name and we didn't like it. Maybe someone could recognize the description and provide more info. However it is not critically important, just for information sake only. I do not feel guilty that I don't sail in Aqua class and don't dine in Blue. We travel a lot whenever we can, and for a cruise a Verandah cabin with MDR or buffet is sufficient enough

The alternate dining room was usually the back portion of the buffet area. They never had a designated special area for the alternate dining on any Celebrity ship.

The alternate dining room was usually the back portion of the buffet area. They never had a designated special area for the alternate dining on any Celebrity ship.

I could be wrong, that same year we did Grand Mediterranean cruise with Renaissance. Probably it was them havind a different type of dinning room.

Like I said, it's of no importance, but too sad I do not remember such things anymore. We did lots of cruises with Princess and Royal Caribbean, but I do remember some restaurans for extra pay on them, but not the blue-lighted dining room, rather small, with minimal embelishments. I do remember we ordered a la carte and waiters were kind of anxious to get us out of the door the sooner the better, they had next seating coming in a short while. Another memory from that cruise - they didn't have assigned waiters in the MDR, each evening it was a different one, and tips went into the pool, not personally to people.

Guest maddycat
I am not sure if you saw my most recent post on the other thread where this issue came up, but over there I suggested you look into changing your stateroom to Aqua Class; you would then have Blu has your dining room which (based on what you posted on the other thread) seems like it would be up your alley. Quieter and more intimate than the main dining room, you choose your dining time, the food is a bit lighter, healthier and higher quality and the pace of the meal is generally faster. My wife and I loved Blu when we did Aqua Class a couple cruises ago.

If you do not want to go this route; check in with the Maitre'D in the main dining room after you board the ship; there is a good chance they will be able to switch you to early seating or select dining at that time.

We were on the Nov. 6th sailing of the Silhouette. We spoke to many people who wanted to switch to early seating from late seating. Early seating was full and even though they spoke to the Maitre' D upon boarding, they were not accommondated.

The dining room you are speaking about has nothing to do with Aqua Class and Blu. Aqua Class and Blue were new a few years ago when Solstice debuted. The concepts had not even been thought up eleven to twelve years ago. The reason I recommended you look into Blu was it sounded exactly like what you were looking for, i.e. open seating, lighter food, brighter lighting, fresh cooked to order food, and faster service. Most find the food to be higher quality as well. If the pricing is significant between what you are currently booked (as appears to be the case), then it likely is not worth it, but I do not understand your comments about a restaurant on a class of ships that does not even exist within Celebrity anymore.

Archived