Never had insurance... Need to buy it for next cruise...

April-in-NC

I've been on 3 cruises and have never bought cruise insurance. My parents are treating our family on a cruise and I am the "official" cruise planner for all of us. Since my dad is 75 and we have family members are older and in poor health she wants to make sure that our insurance covers not only our own health (including evacuation) but trip interruption and cancel for any reason.

What else should we be looking for? What is "standard" on most insurance plans?

I would go over to http://www.insuremytrip.com

You can easily do a comparison of what is offered between various insurance policies.

In general most policies cover medical, medical evacuation, some dental, loss of luggage, trip cancellation and trip interruption, and a few other areas.

The devil is in the details so look closely at what is covered and not covered.

Keith

Please note that to include "pre-existing conditions" most all policies require that the insurance be purchased within 14 days of initial deposit.

Some are 21 days, I believe 1 has a before final payment.

Also note that if any family members going on the cruise are Canadian,,, their restrictions are even more important to research regarding medical insurance and coverage.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen another post which seems quite logical on why not to purchase insurance. IMHO if you have good health insurance then the cost to be cared for "out of town" is already covered. Again, IMHO, you have allocated a certain amount of $$ for your vacation and theoretically you should be able to afford the vacation without going into debt. The worst case is that you cancel the cruise and lose the $$ but it should not alter your life style. The important piece to consider is medical evacuation insurance. Medical evacuation is probably not covered by your at home insurance and can be insanely expensive. A medical flight from the Carribean can easily be in the $30,000 - $50,000 range, from Asia $250,000. These costs can alter your lifestyle.

Again, and lastly, IMHO, I would purchase evacuation insurance from a company such as MedJet Assist. Economical, they provide coverage for an entire year, and they have a good reputation.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so glad that we purchased travel insurance. When we started cruising we were younger, parents good health so we never did the insurance. As we got older we purchased the insurance. I used it for damaged luggage!! But the $526 bill I received on a Hawaii cruise because I was in the medical center for 2 1/2 hrs. due to dehydration proved worth the insurance. Being in international waters at the time my secondary insurance and medicare both refused payment. However, my travel insurance picked up the bill and paid it in full!! So you just never know what can happen no matter your age!! I'd never leave home without it!!

Carol

We are just starting to do some research on travel insurance. We are looking at insuremytrip, travelex, and travelguard.

Which type of insurance policy did you get?

Up to what amount did you get?

What fine print should we be on the lookout for?

Archived