Rum Point Beach & Stingray Bar..Where to Book???

LoriLuvs2Cruz

I have booked with nativeway watersports. its a tour by boat to stingray city, barrier reef snorkeling, and then rum point beach (5 hrs). lunch at the wreck bar is included in the $62 cost.

Another option is to do a waverunner tour to stingray city and rum point ( 2.5 hrs) cost is $95 or $70 for double riders. this is advertised on island marketing. I have not found any other tours to rum point apart from private charters and im not in a big group so these are my 2 options, the ship doesnt offer these excursions either (ncl pearl).

Glad to hear you enjoyed rum point, I have never been but nativeway will also drop off at seven mile beach after so I wont miss out on seeing SMB.

I was really undecided but decided to book with nativeway and have read good reviews about them. either option would be great im sure

• 3 weeks later...
I know booking through the ship is expensive and I took this tour 10 yrs ago and LOVED IT (especially the Rum Point Beach part)! So I have forgotten on the tour companies that we can directly book with..please advise & thank you!:)

Just did a combined CCL tour Sandbar Stingrays and Rum Point, wasn't expensive at all. Didn't include lunch, maybe 2 1/2, 3 hrs @ Rum Point.

How many others on your tour? That is why I am unsure about a Cruiseline Excursion. You read on these boards that there are too too many people doing the trip that it isnt great

If there were thjirty people on our tour boat that was a lot, never felt crowded. I was able to get right up close with the stingrays and the guide on the sandbar.

Of course, we weren't the only group on the sandbar, nor were we the only people dropped off at Rum Point. I've been on packed cruiseline tours, this wasn't one of them. Most pax don't know about Rum Point I guess, and they opted for other tour combinations.

369808730_ValorDec2011006.jpg.726d315d7fa6d0c9bb5a3246a72450a5.jpg

1633578952_ValorDec2011068.jpg.99954c9940285f45a518ac3a74013414.jpg

I know booking through the ship is expensive and I took this tour 10 yrs ago and LOVED IT (especially the Rum Point Beach part)! So I have forgotten on the tour companies that we can directly book with..please advise & thank you!:)

I did the Rum Point/Sting ray ship excursion on Carnival and thought it was a good value. Maybe 30 people - the bus and the boat were not very crowded. We had ample opportunity to mingle with the sting rays and enjoy the beach. Our only issue: a private company had pre-booked all the toys at Rum Point, so no wave runners or kayaks were available the day we went, which was disappointing.

We did the tour with Nativeway 2 years ago and loved it! We are going to be back there again in March and would like to book this trip again. My only concern is what the water temp will be in mid-March.

Does anyone know how warm (or cold) the water may be in mid-March? I need the water to be at least 82+ or we'll skip it this time around.

Thanks,

We used NativeWay earlier this month. The whole experience was WONDERFUL. My DH and I were on a huge boat with 2 other CC friends. There were 4 of us on the boat. FOUR PEOPLE!! It was as if we had a private charter. Chris was the captain and did a great job. We loved the stingrays and snorkeling. The lunch at Rum Pointe was great and included in our price. I would send anybody and everybody their way.

I looked at thewebsite for Native Way and like the Stingray, Coral Gardens and Starfish Snorkel tour but the times aren't good for for us since we don't dock until 10am and on a Thursday (their tours start at 9am and on Wednesday they have 11:15am tours). I sent them an email and haven't heard back from them yet. I'm hoping they adjust or add to their schedule when boats dock later. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I still haven't figured out if Rum Point is mainly a place to hang out if you want food and drinks.

Is it worth the trip if you aren't interested in food and drink? I've also the heard the snorkeling is only ok. So what does it offer over other beaches? Is it just more scenic? For the folks who are going or have been, what was the attraction?

I still haven't figured out if Rum Point is mainly a place to hang out if you want food and drinks.

Is it worth the trip if you aren't interested in food and drink? I've also the heard the snorkeling is only ok. So what does it offer over other beaches? Is it just more scenic? For the folks who are going or have been, what was the attraction?

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free or cheap facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

... I've also the heard the snorkeling is only ok. So what does it offer over other beaches?...

The snorkeling for if simply futzing around in the water immediately off the beach or around the pier is nothing worth making a trip there for. If you are an avid snorkeler, willing and able to swim well, there are spots in the immediate area that are among some of the best in the Caribbean. The barrier reef and boulder coral gardens are simply phenomenal.

Thanks for the thorough answer, it is really helpful.

Like so many others I'm trying to decide which stingray tour to take.

Now I know I'd prefer a tour that includes the reef or coral garden over one that includes Rum Point.

With of exception of the wave runner tour which I may take more for the wave runner than for Rum Point.

$70 seems like a good price for a couple of hours on a wave runner even without the tour.

How much do wave runner rentals go for in GC?

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free or cheap facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

excellent comparision, great work!

Archived