Lastest on QM2 refit

southwestie

Peter Shanks has said that those sofas will be replaced over the next couple of weeks.

http://wearecunard.com/2011/12/she’s-back-and-she’s-beautiful…/

I think it's just the angle of the camera; we know they didn't make the Princess Grill suites smaller during the refit. In anycase, I'll get by :D

Well this has made my day! New sofas yay! Haha although you would have thought that whoever calls the shots and now thinks the sofas don't match should have thought that to begin with when viewing the draft designs for the rooms.. Still good news! I am happy with the queens new look! :)

Cheers Cunard!

Peter Shanks has said that those sofas will be replaced over the next couple of weeks.

http://wearecunard.com/2011/12/she’s-back-and-she’s-beautiful…/

I think it's just the angle of the camera; we know they didn't make the Princess Grill suites smaller during the refit. In any case, I'll get by :D

Thank you for the link and the information on the sofas. I've recently decided to abandon the Grills for the most part and to sail in Britannia mainly, with an occasional splurge in one of the Grills. My thinking is that, based on cost, I'd rather have quantity--at a about a 2 to 2 and 1/2 ratio of crossings in Britannia to 1 in PG or QG--than the total luxury one does get in the Grills. The sofas, which now look like cheap motel ones, in comparison to the other furnishings, which I find quite nice, are completely off in their new surroundings. I am so glad to see that they are going to be replaced--hopefully with the same colour as the ones in the Grills staterooms.

As for the business of the carpets, they are that, but when I looked at them, particularly the red carpet in the Grand Lobby, I was reminded a little bit of the art deco/nouveau theme of the Queen Elizabeth. As I am writing this, if memory serves me correctly, it also seems to me that the black and white swirls in the Champagne Bar bear a little bit of the style of Liza Doolittle's dress at Ascot in the movie version of My Fair Lady. As for the stateroom carpets, I also think that Peter Shanks' mentioning that the swirls in the carpet were derived from the little swirl in the QM2 logo gives a certain sense to them. In any event I still think they are quite nice and am looking forward to seeing them in person, sooner, rather than later.

Thank you for the link and the information on the sofas. I've recently decided to abandon the Grills for the most part and to sail in Britannia mainly, with an occasional splurge in one of the Grills. My thinking is that, based on cost, I'd rather have quantity--at a about a 2 to 2 and 1/2 ratio of crossings in Britannia to 1 in PG or QG--than the total luxury one does get in the Grills.

I have three lovely weeks coming up in Grills; I am so looking forward to it.

I have had the same thoughts as you, trying Britannia and thereby cruising more, but I decided to stick with the Grills on Cunard as I enjoyed it so much. Anything over three weeks however and I would have to go Britannia as the cost would be too much.

I like the idea of doing Fort Lauderdale to Sydney/Brisbane as part of a world cruise, and I would go Britannia for that. The alternative would be Grills from the West Coast.

As for the business of the carpets, they are that, but when I looked at them, particularly the red carpet in the Grand Lobby, I was reminded a little bit of the art deco/nouveau theme of the Queen Elizabeth. As I am writing this, if memory serves me correctly, it also seems to me that the black and white swirls in the Champagne Bar bear a little bit of the style of Liza Doolittle's dress at Ascot in the movie version of My Fair Lady. As for the stateroom carpets, I also think that Peter Shanks' mentioning that the swirls in the carpet were derived from the little swirl in the QM2 logo gives a certain sense to them. In any event I still think they are quite nice and am looking forward to seeing them in person, sooner, rather than later.

I like all the new carpets however I am waiting to view the stateroom carpet in person before deciding whether I like it or not. The refit, from what pictures I've seen, has been very successful. I particularly like the new carpet in the Grills and the new black chairs in the Grills Lounge - I always thought the Grills lounge needed to look a little more 'club' like.

Pictures of inside and ocean-view.

web.png?ver=13234324090001

web.png?ver=13234324260001

note that in these pictures every single light is on

& theres something 'off' in the second picture. notice how blue & dark the window reflection is on the ceiling & the picture to the left, yet the window view itself is of a greyer sea. also, i remember the walls being darker than that, more of a cream colour than white.

still, the cabins are there to sleep in & be used as changing rooms :D

I would like to thank both Captain and hcrane for their most welcomed updates.

Can you please confirm that the wonderful red carpets have remained the same in the Grand Lobby and the corridors on Decks 2 and 3?

Yes - the same red carpet has been re-laid in the Grand Lobby, and it looks as beautiful as ever. Strangely the elevator carpets have not been replaced which is unfortuneate as they are all badly worn.

It just goes to show, that with something so subjective as this, you will never please everyone.

I, personally, think it looks beautiful... And I look forward to sailing on her...

But appreciate that some will not like the new look at all.

Yes - the same red carpet has been re-laid in the Grand Lobby, and it looks as beautiful as ever. Strangely the elevator carpets have not been replaced which is unfortuneate as they are all badly worn.

Thank you, Norine, for this. I think these carpets are somehow part of the ship's identity and they are stunning. It's wonderful that they continue to be intact.

I think the new sofas will be the same as the ones on QE. I wonder when Cunard will start delivering them? I know shanks said a few weeks so it will e interesting to know when they will start rolling them out, let's hope it's quick unlike the new tv's which were done here and there for ages before the refit.. When the ship gets back to Southampton next (I'm not even sure when that is?) they should just do it all then!

Cheers

Ps I'm very happy with the refit, one more minor touch I they could have added though in my opinion is more artwork in the cabin.. Upon looking at photos of QE's Britannia staterooms I see they have more paintings on the walls which really make the cabin homely and make the plain walls seem less sterile... (I really enjoy the QE artwork aswell, lots of paintings of flappers etc from the 20's where as QM2's stateroom artwork appears to be more landscape..

Cheers

I think the new sofas will be the same as the ones on QE. I wonder when Cunard will start delivering them? I know shanks said a few weeks so it will e interesting to know when they will start rolling them out, let's hope it's quick unlike the new tv's which were done here and there for ages before the refit.. When the ship gets back to Southampton next (I'm not even sure when that is?) they should just do it all then!

Cheers

Its next Southampton stop is January 10. Since I am boarding in New York on January 3 I hope the new couches will be rolled out before then.

Do you have a photo link to the QE sofas you reference?

I am actually quite fond of the old sofas in the staterooms, because they are so comfortable and hope that the new ones are not just a "pretty face" so to speak. Even though the current sofas are small, they handle two people quite nicely.

I also found the larger sofas in the Grills cabins very comfortable. That is one aspect of Cunard that has always appealed to me. Form follows function on the Queen Mary 2. Well, except for the King's Court dining area.

Such a lovely, lovely ship. She is my favorite of all.

has anyone ever received an email onboard from someone using you QM2 email address (the one with you initial,surname and room number)? is it delivered to you as a telegram? or do you log onto the ships internet yourself to retrieve it?

Actually, I was wondering the same.

Anyone know the answer to this question?

thank you .

has anyone ever received an email onboard from someone using you QM2 email address (the one with you initial,surname and room number)? is it delivered to you as a telegram? or do you log onto the ships internet yourself to retrieve it?

Actually, I was wondering the same.

Anyone know the answer to this question?

thank you .

I don't have actual experience using Cunard-supplied email addresses (the "cruisemail" system) but here is what ask.cunard.com has to say about it:

What is the email address for people to contact friends or family on board?

In the first instance, guests should either set up an email address via the cyber cafe, or log on to their own email account via the cyber cafe on their own lap top in the Wi Fi areas around the ship.

Alternatively, guests can be emailed using the following address:

'First initial', 'surname', 'cabin number'@shipname.cruisemail.net

For example -

Guests will not be notified as soon as the email is received as the box is not monitored. Guests have to log in to pick up any messages, just as they would a normal email system. Guests would be advised to sign up for a Yahoo or Hotmail account. The cruisemail account has a setup fee and as well as usage fee and the normal per minute charge to access the Internet. These charges are detailed on board. ...

Regards,

John

Its next Southampton stop is January 10. Since I am boarding in New York on January 3 I hope the new couches will be rolled out before then.

Do you have a photo link to the QE sofas you reference?

here is a link to a photo of a balcony stateroom on QE note the sofa, although i feel a different colour will be needed for QM2. i enjoy these britannia rooms on QE... theres just something about them that makes them look homely and less "clinical" as i have seen others reference the QM2 ones as.. i enjoy the art work above the couch and bed..

http://wearecunard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Photo-34.jpg

cheers

This was my cabin on QUEEN VICTORIA. It had a very elegant and soothing feel to it. I especially loved the carpet, something I'm not sure I can say about QM2's new carpet.

Note on QV they still used the bedspreads, and I quite liked them. They were of a very high standard.

Ernie

web.jpg?ver=12148661010002

This was my cabin on QUEEN VICTORIA. It had a very elegant and soothing feel to it. I especially loved the carpet, something I'm not sure I can say about QM2's new carpet.

Note on QV they still used the bedspreads, and I quite liked them. They were of a very high standard.

Ernie

Hi eroller. Yes, that does look like a lovely cabin. I haven't sailed on QV yet; may I ask what is category the cabin depicted? Thanks, Salacia.

I'm pretty sure it's a Brittania balcony stateroom. It looks exactly like the one we had. Very nice décor and great neutral carpeting. The layout of the room and bath is exactly the same on the QV and the QE. Lovely rooms, teeny but functional baths.

Thanks Oahucruiser. I've sailed on QM2 (and Princess) But that balcony cabin looks much nicer that the balcony cabins I've experienced on QM2 (categories B4 through AA). Hopefully QV and QE will someday include NY as a round trip voyage. <--sorry, but I had to put a plug in for my home port :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi eroller. Yes, that does look like a lovely cabin. I haven't sailed on QV yet; may I ask what is category the cabin depicted? Thanks, Salacia.

Hi Salacia,

It was a category A1, cabin 8031. It was a great cabin because it had a bit more interior space than the average balcony cabin plus a larger balcony. I highly recommend it.

Ernie

Archived