General consensus on new price controls

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

Is the general consensus on the pricing controls Princess will institute on January 1st, 2012 that the cost of cruising with Princess will increase?

I'm used to paying about $100 less than the Princess web site price (after logging in) for an inside cabin on a 7 night cruise through my TA, are those days over? Will the TA be able to cut their commission enough to keep people booking with them over Princess direct?

Thanks,

Mike

I expect there will be creative accounting done by Travel Agents as they do with other lines such as instead of having $100 off of your cruise, you will probably receive $100 in OBC instead. Just guessing here as I am not an agent.

I haven't spoken to my agent since the news came out about this but she indicated that they just have to do more steps like they do with the other lines to provide incentives to their clients. It is easier the old way but the TAs will adapt (like they have with other lines) and it will still benefit us to use TAs as ultimately they will provide more than what Princess direct can provide (though it will be done differently). Plus they have access to group rates, etc...

If there are any cruises you want booked in the future that are currently released, I would book them before the end of the year.

I expect there will be creative accounting done by Travel Agents as they do with other lines such as instead of having $100 off of your cruise, you will probably receive $100 in OBC instead. Just guessing here as I am not an agent.

I haven't spoken to my agent since the news came out about this but she indicated that they just have to do more steps like they do with the other lines to provide incentives to their clients. It is easier the old way but the TAs will adapt (like they have with other lines) and it will still benefit us to use TAs as ultimately they will provide more than what Princess direct can provide (though it will be done differently). Plus they have access to group rates, etc...

If there are any cruises you want booked in the future that are currently released, I would book them before the end of the year.

Coral,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, my $100 example was really $50 off the cruise price and another $50 in OBC, totaling $100 difference than the princess.com price.

My TA did suggest booking before the end of the year, I was just thinking long term, as I usually only book 3-6 months in advance. Since we started cruising we have averaged two a year, but might have to modify if the cost of cruising increases much, or the onboard experience decreases much.

Thanks,

Mike

Coral,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, my $100 example was really $50 off the cruise price and another $50 in OBC, totaling $100 difference than the princess.com price.

My TA did suggest booking before the end of the year, I was just thinking long term, as I usually only book 3-6 months in advance. Since we started cruising we have averaged two a year, but might have to modify if the cost of cruising increases much, or the onboard experience decreases much.

Thanks,

Mike

I expect any savings that you receive off the cruise price will now be additional OBC.

I am also worried about onboard experience decreasing (even more) and that more than anything will affect my future cruise plans. I am also waiting to find out more info on future ships to see if they are going to cram a ton of people on them or if they will be spacious.

I have been cruising for about 14 years or so and the experience has changed drastically. We will see what the next 5 years or so bring.

Hi folks,

Is the general consensus on the pricing controls Princess will institute on January 1st, 2012 that the cost of cruising with Princess will increase?

I'm used to paying about $100 less than the Princess web site price (after logging in) for an inside cabin on a 7 night cruise through my TA, are those days over? Will the TA be able to cut their commission enough to keep people booking with them over Princess direct?

Thanks,

Mike

Book any future cruises now if can you for HUGE savings...booked 2012 Panama Canal and 2013 Carib. for what I expect to be substantial savings before price controls go into effect...

TA's will figure out a way, such as OBC's, to give you a break over the Princess controlled pricing, but I expect a problem in finding fare reductions after you book, as all TA's must be advertising the same pricing as Princess.

Sometimes TA's will lower their pricing on group space they have available and make them cheaper than other TA's. Our TA will generally match any of those type of deals to keep us from jumping over to the cheaper TA.

We think the pricing method currently is the best as it gives each TA the freedom to price the cruise according to how well their group space is selling vs pricing controls by the cruiseline.

I think in the end it will mean higher prices for most of us (USA passangers) in the end. We always enjoy checking the fares several times a week trying to find a sale.

Archived