Curious as to your reaction if you found your suite window like this

bajathree

I guess all RCCL had to do is run over to Home Depot for high impact marine glazing.....I think they have it in aisle 12......:rolleyes:.......or maybe there is a back order in getting product.....Hmmm I would bet on the latter..;)

Back order or not, you don't think it would be classy of RCI to acknowledge to the customer that there is a issue with the cabin and, if nothing else, at least offer an apology before the customer even complains?

I have read threads where CC members tell people to bring things like, ear plugs because certain cabibs are noisy, bring a drain plug to block sewer smells. Bring air fresheners because plumbing problems are common on certain ships so what surprises me most is that some are upset over the water vapor!!;)

But yes, Bajathree- you are one of the posters here that provide good information, don't get involved in drama and never complain. Your call on this one. ;)

Again, what I find disturbing is the apparent lack of pride shown by RCI. What a great impression it makes to walk into a cabin a see such an obvious defect. And one could also look at it as RCI being somewhat disrespectful of its customer to not fix the problem, or offer some compensation, for a known issue before the customer even mentioned it.

Your spot on!

Since you paid for just a Cat W Suite Guar you may have ended up in one of the crappy cabins because you didn't pay full price for the Suite like other people did?

I'm sure confused. Was a post somewhere along the way deleted? Maybe it's getting too late for me (been at work 13 hours now) but I've gone back through this thread and can't find where there is any reference to it being a suite gauranty. Just curious how I missed this more than if it matters at all. If if it was a downgraded upgrade RCI could have been more upfront about it.

I guess all RCCL had to do is run over to Home Depot for high impact marine glazing.....I think they have it in aisle 12......:rolleyes:.......or maybe there is a back order in getting product.....Hmmm I would bet on the latter..;)

Because the room steward told him that the replacement was already onboard. It hadn't been replaced because the stateroom is always "booked".

Guess what? It's always going to be booked. It could have been replaced while the occupants are out of the stateroom for the day. :rolleyes:

I have read threads where CC members tell people to bring things like, ear plugs because certain cabibs are noisy, bring a drain plug to block sewer smells. Bring air fresheners because plumbing problems are common on certain ships so what surprises me most is that some are upset over the water vapor!!;)

But yes, Bajathree- you are one of the posters here that provide good information, don't get involved in drama and never complain. Your call on this one. ;)

They will probably soon start confiscating drain plugs because people might forget them in the drain and cause cabin flooding.;):D

I'm sure confused. Was a post somewhere along the way deleted? Maybe it's getting too late for me (been at work 13 hours now) but I've gone back through this thread and can't find where there is any reference to it being a suite gauranty. Just curious how I missed this more than if it matters at all. If if it was a downgraded upgrade RCI could have been more upfront about it.

Don't be confused. Someone just suddenly decided to make it a guarantee upgrade. Maybe it was just to add some drama to the thread.:D

There stored in Hold #3 just in front of the spare rudders!

"Always booked?" Are they planning on waiting until her next drydock in 3-5 years before fixing it?

I wouldn't have pitched a fit, but I would have asked that it be repaired while I was onboard. At least I'd have gotten a day or two of enjoying the view from inside the cabin. If you were on the starboard side and had the weather and exposure that we did, sitting on the balcony would have been a miserably hot experience in the full sun, so having the view from within is that much more important IMO. Knowing that the replacement part was onboard, I would have told Francois (Concierge) when I was going to ge out of the cabin (say, in Cozumel) and asked him to make sure that maintenance repaired it.

Your cabin and the one next to it might be the free upgrade cabins . Since you paid for just a Cat W Suite Guar you may have ended up in one of the crappy cabins because you didn't pay full price for the Suite like other people did?

Still paying $549 a person for a Grand Suite is a sweet deal, bad window or good window.

Jimbo:)

I doubt that Miami knew of the condition of the window before assigning the cabin. I think that's all done by computer, and we know how the RCI computer system is...;)

It was a different thread, before he went on the cruise.:)

ah ha!...so it WAS a suite guarantee. I'd have still said something about it but also I'd still have been happy they gave me a GS rather than a JS. If it was too hot to use my balcony, I'd have been MORE likely to have the curtain shut because I like my AC to be cold. Normally when we're in a GS we keep the curtain shut over the half the window anyway - the half that doesn't open. I probably never would have noticed the foggy window. If I had noticed, that would have been all the more reason to keep that half shut - at least with the sheer curtain which would have obscured the window anyway.

Not to mention there is another whole window in a GS other than the one shown. With 4 panes in a GS, 3 uncovered is plenty for me to have a view.

Every GS we've had has had a problem. This past cruise I reinstalled the 3 outlet covers behind the TV. Since I forgot to bring my screwdriver :rolleyes: I called maintenance to have them screw the hinge back on the bathroom door. :eek:

Anyway, initially I wouldn't have told the stateroom attendant of guest services, I'd have called maintenance directly as I've found that to be the best way to get immediate action on an issue.

Gina

Two points:

1. You should definitely write in and request some minor (maybe $50) in obc...

2. I can see how it might not get replaced. I've been in a stateroom where the glass was replaced the day of embarkation. It reeks. I guarantee guests would complain.

It does not excuse it but the smell lasts quite some time and might justify more compensation than the loss of the view for a few sailings.

I hope they do give you a little something for an upcoming cruise, however. You do seem to have taken it quite in stride.

ah ha!...so it WAS a suite guarantee. I'd have still said something about it but also I'd still have been happy they gave me a GS rather than a JS. If it was too hot to use my balcony, I'd have been MORE likely to have the curtain shut because I like my AC to be cold. Normally when we're in a GS we keep the curtain shut over the half the window anyway - the half that doesn't open. I probably never would have noticed the foggy window. If I had noticed, that would have been all the more reason to keep that half shut - at least with the sheer curtain which would have obscured the window anyway.

Not to mention there is another whole window in a GS other than the one shown. With 4 panes in a GS, 3 uncovered is plenty for me to have a view.

Every GS we've had has had a problem. This past cruise I reinstalled the 3 outlet covers behind the TV. Since I forgot to bring my screwdriver :rolleyes: I called maintenance to have them screw the hinge back on the bathroom door. :eek:

Anyway, initially I wouldn't have told the stateroom attendant of guest services, I'd have called maintenance directly as I've found that to be the best way to get immediate action on an issue.

Gina

great points, when I am in GS the curtain is over this window. And I am surprised an experienced cruiser would not go to CS. The window does need to be replaced.

I just came off Liberty beginning of this week and stayed in a Grand Suite. Upon entering my suite I found one of the windows completely obscured...it was full of moisture between the glass and you couldn't see thru it at all. It was only a 4 night sailing so didn't make a big deal about it but did mention it the cabin steward. I was told they have the glass to replace it but it hasn't got done because the cabin is always booked. I also casually mentioned to the concierge in the CL joking to him saying ....I see the glass between the CL and the hall is obscured just like in my cabin so nobody could see in. It was laughed off and I was told there was another suite besides mine with the same issue. Like I said being a 4 night sailing I pretty much shrugged it off but was a bit disappointed that Royal wouldn't fix something like this right away.....they must have a way to fix these glass panels without such a big deal.....what if a glass panel broke during a sailing:confused:

Just curious what your opinion is and what would be your reaction if you walked into your suite and found one of the glass panels looking like this.

I would call that a partially obstructed view. I would not be pleased at all, regardless of the type of cabin I was in, unless I paid for a partially obstructed view. :mad:

It gives new meaning to booking a cabin with an obstructed view.

*lol*

I agree with others, this issue should have been resolved, unless they couldn't do so within a couple hours time. Having had several windows replaced at my house one day, which was to take all day and was done in about 3 hours, I am pretty sure it could be done in a couple hours on the ship.

The idea of sending the picture to someone in Customer Service at RCCL is probably one of the best...with specifis of who you told it needed to be fixed and how it was brushed off. Generous OBC on the next cruise or a next cruise certificate are probably in order since they left the window unfixed after you mentioned it needed to be repaired.

Realizing that it probably wouldn't be fixed during my stay, I suppose I would have spent a limited amount of time expressing my displeasure to any company staff who would listen, and then get on with enjoying my cruise.

For some people interior and "cheap" ocean views rooms represent a tremendous investment for a once in a lifetime vacation. Suppose someone had a ocean view cabin with a clouded up window? They don't even have the option of opening the window to look out. In this case at least the balcony door could be opened. RCI should take more pride than to put anyone in a substandard cabin with a serious defect no matter what the category.

I've only sailed on Carnival and only had an oceanview once, but the window was really dirty, but it was dirty on the outside, not the inside so I just lived with it. And in all of the interior rooms I've stayed in there were stains on the carpet and the remotes were always being held together with tape. I let it slide since the rooms were so cheap I figure you get what you pay for. Those things I wouldn't tolerate as well in a suite. ETA: Just to add so I don't sounds like a whiner (I swear I'm not!) but one of my interiors had 4-5 of the largest stains I have ever seen! I decided to take one of the white wash cloths and dab at the stain to see if it was just "there" and that effort was made to clean it... nope! It came up on the wash cloth. Red wine! It seemed to me that no effort was made to clean them. Just vacuum over it and move on!

I would also have been extremely disappointed to find a window like that in a suite...or any cabin for that matter! I would have expected it to be repaired during the cruise, or if it couldn't be done, an apology and and explanation for the delay. I'm not usually big on calling for compensation, but if I was in an expensive suite and had an eyesore like that, I would expect some kind of "monetary" apology...OBC, a trip to Chops, or something!

Second the thoughts of most here. Four nighter or not, you paid for a premium view in a premium cabin, and the premium ocean view certainly was compromised. My wife would have gone ballistic the moment she saw the window, and she would have immediately contacted more than one person.

We once had multiple stateroom issues on cruise on Vision OS, we sent letter to RCI corporate documenting them after the fact, and were sent a letter with a pretty significant discount toward a future cruise.

Somewhat OT, we had problems at a very nice land based resort, I wrote a letter to the GM detailing them, and he personally phoned me, and offered a two night stay gratis sometime in the upcoming year. We took him up on it for a pre-cruise stay, and he gave us the mother of all suites.

These people are in the hospitality business, they do listen, and will respond if the complaint is legitimate.

Two points:

2. I can see how it might not get replaced. I've been in a stateroom where the glass was replaced the day of embarkation. It reeks. I guarantee guests would complain.

It does not excuse it but the smell lasts quite some time and might justify more compensation than the loss of the view for a few sailings.

I hope they do give you a little something for an upcoming cruise, however. You do seem to have taken it quite in stride.

BINGO!!! The marine caulkingnecessary has a penetrating odor that is overwhelming especially in a close enviroment and the installers must wear resperators. Like posted before just use the other 3 windows and draw the curtain...no biggie....:confused:

Thank you all for your comments:)

Someone asked a question if this was an upgrade....it was not an upgrade...I booked a suite guaranty...so yes I could have received a JS...but I also could have received an OS....so I don't see much relevance there.

I can assure you that the problem with this window was not an issue that just occurred...on the inside at the bottom of the pane of glass there were actually salt deposits (you rub your finger along the bottom of the glass and you had salt on your fingers)...this was on the inside....so that means that the seal was broken and there was actually salt water accumulated inside the glass....that had to take a bit of time to happen I would think. Also as I explained in the first post I was told by the room attendant that have the glass safely stored away on the ship waiting for the cabin to be empty to replace it.

What I am disappointed about the most is that I know things happen....and if Royal for what ever reason didn't or couldn't fix it right away....I feel that they should have meet this issue head on the very first day with a note in the cabin at least explaining and maybe a bottle of Champagne or something. Remember....when I mentioned this to the concierge I was told that another suite has the same issue and in the same conversation I was also told that they had some pretty nasty storms they had dealt with in the Med before the transatlantic (telling me this as a possible cause).....that tells me that the issue with these windows has been since before the ship ever crossed the pond. I am not one to spend my short vacation complaining....and after bringing it to both the attention of the room attendant and concierge with no satisfaction I felt that was about as much time at the point that I wanted to invest on this issue and wasn't about to get myself aggravated and make this the mission of my sailing.....that being said I clearly don't feel that the issue was handled properly though.

Archived